Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / inductance
- - By toolman_43 Date 02-18-2001 17:46
i have a ESAB mig weld machine . and on it there is a inductance thing !! what does it do !!! does it influence my welding if i use a
ER 70 S6 coil ??? could u explain it please !!!
Parent - By Joe DeVito Date 02-19-2001 14:02
Inductance has the most effect when using short circuiting transfer. Power sources do not respond instantly to load changes. The current takes a finite time to attain a new level. Inductance in the welding circuit is responsible for this time lag. The maximum amount of current attainable during a short is determined by the slope of the power source. Inductance controls the rate of rise of short circuit current. The rate can be slowed so that the short may clear with minimum spatter. The inductance also stores energy. It supplies this energy to the arc after the short has cleared and causes a longer arc. In ”short arc” welding, an increase in inductance increases the ”arc on” time. This, in turn, makes the puddle more fluid, resulting in a flatter, smoother weld bead. The opposite is true when the inductance is decreased. In spray arc welding, the addition of some inductance to the power source will produce a better arc start. Too much inductance will result in erratic starting. When conditions of both correct shorting current and correct rate of current rise exist, spatter is minimal. The power source adjustments required for minimum spatter conditions vary with the electrode material and size. As a general rule, both the amount of short circuit current and the amount of inductance needed for ideal operation are increased as the electrode diameter is increased. On your ESAB power source, increasing the inductance will give you more arc on time, lower short circuit frequency, less spatter and improved bead wetting. Decreasing the inductance increases the short circuit frequency, increases spatter, reduces thga arc "ON" time but also lowers the heat input for welding thinner materials and faster welding speeds.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / inductance