Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / CMT method of transfer in GMAW
- - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 03-05-2007 22:21
Anyone out there have any experiences with the relatively new "CMT" method of transfer in GMAW???

It seems like a very interesting method of transfer with potential widespread applications other that what is listed in that "Fronius" welding web site. I and possibly others here would like to know more about this method of transfer in greater detail besides what's been posted in the Fronius site if possible.

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By yorkiepap (***) Date 03-06-2007 01:12
Hey Henry,
Just to pass on some info you may find interesting. I haven't experienced CMT (Cold-Metal-Transfer)other than some finely produced videos from the auto industry. CMT is increasingly being adapted in the auto-robotics arena and along with Laser-Hybrid Welding, a fascinating concept is reality. You can get some interesting highlights by typing "CMT Welding Process" in a Google search and look at some existing manufacturing CMT processes. There's a good explanation at:

http://www.robotsforwelding.com/cold-metal-transfer.htm

Hope that helps a bit.....Denny
Parent - By MBSims (****) Date 03-06-2007 03:11
Doesn't sound like a new transfer mode, just a variation of short-circuiting transfer.  By tieing wire feed control with the power source, it sounds more like synergic GMAW in short-circuiting transfer mode.
Parent - - By chuck meadows (***) Date 03-06-2007 02:01
Henry,
  I'm interested in this Fronius site. Got any good info on it??? Personnel??
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 03-06-2007 02:17
Hello Chuck, awhile back I was at an instructor's conference in Renton, WA. There was a Fronius representative there with some of their hardware and some examples of various welds that had been made using some of this equipment. He had some steel to aluminum lap "welds" that were robotically produced using their system(they were very impressive in appearance). I got a CD and some written literature and product information sheets from him, I'll see if I can find the contact information and post it here for anyone who is interested. I would also venture to guess that they can be contacted via the internet through their website as well.
     I did get to operate a couple of their inverter GTAW and GMAW units, they are very nice pieces of equipment, they also have a fairly hefty price tag to go along with that quality. In some cases it can surely be worth it. One of my ex-students has purchased one of their inverter AC/DC GTAW/stick/water cooler systems with all of the bells and whistles. He is supposed to be bringing it to my school to get a few tips on how to operate it. I will try to give a bit of a report once this happens. Regards, Allan
Parent - - By chuck meadows (***) Date 03-06-2007 03:09
Thanks, Allan..
  It was great meeting you at the Oxarc Stainless Steel Seminar in Spokane. It's always good meeting someone I communicate with on the Forum. Hope it wasn't too boring for you. Hope you had a safe trip home. Thanks for the info.

Chuck
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 03-06-2007 15:48
Hello Chuck, it was great meeting you too. Boring? definitely not. My only complaint would have been not having enough time to hear and discuss more. As usual, lots of information and not enough time to really take it all in. Just like the threads here on the forum. There is always something interesting to think about and there are always plenty of folks to add their own unique perspectives and levels of expertise. I always find something new to learn and something else to question and ponder. Regards, everyone. Allan
Parent - - By chuck meadows (***) Date 03-06-2007 03:38
Hey Marty !!
  Where ya been lately? Thanks for the info..
Parent - - By MBSims (****) Date 03-06-2007 04:05 Edited 03-06-2007 04:08
Running wide open.  Scrubber projects, piping repairs, turbine casing repair, new procedures for C276, etc., etc. etc....  Will you be at this thing coming up in Houston on high alloy welding?

http://www.forengineers.org/pvrc/WRC%20Conference_2007v6.pdf
Parent - By chuck meadows (***) Date 03-06-2007 14:02
Probably not, Marty. Like you, there's not enough hours in the day anymore. New procedures for C276..sounds interesting.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-06-2007 03:41
Prof Crisi said that he was planning on recieving one of these babies at McKinsey a few months ago if I'm not mistaken.

I thought he was crazy when he said the thing pulsed the wire as well as the current in a synchronized fashion.
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 03-06-2007 04:59
That's what I read too Larry!

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 03-06-2007 04:54
No Chuck but, this site may be of some interest:
http://www.iqpc.co.uk/binary-data/IQPC_CONFEVENT/pdf_file/7830.pdf

Btw, is that our mutual friend Stephan mentioned in the .pdf or is it someone else? Hmmmm.

Hey Yorkiepap! how are you? Thanks for the tip ;)

Anywho, it's off to work I go!!! The snow's just starting to come down again - oh well ;)

Very interesting article do'nt ya think???
I know now why my radioactive blood was starting to simmer a bit ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 03-06-2007 14:49
Marty is right. CMT is a next generation SC transfer that began of course with Lincoln's STT. The idea being to reduce the SC 'explosion' that causes spatter while at the same time getting creative to find ways of enhancing fusion. This one has a mechanical retraction added.
Fronius builds outstanding welding equipment but the problem is and has been that parts, service and sales follow up are problematic, or at least were the last time I dealt with them. In speaking with Fronius reps I got the impression that they weren't even seriously interested in the American market(which is not unusual for European, or even Japanese manufacturers-look at the trouble ESAB has had even with a huge plant in Florence SC). But there is no denying the quality of the product.
Parent - - By chuck meadows (***) Date 03-06-2007 15:11
Henry,
  You crack me up !! It's quite unlikely it's someone else, huh? Send some of that snow my way, my kids are tired of this 70-80 degree weather in Texas...LOL
Parent - - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 03-06-2007 19:39
I have worked with this process for the last year.  I currently have some in robotic production.  The process is a modified short arc, very limited on thickness.  We use it because of the elimination of spatter on thin (1mm and less) materials that don't weld consistant with pulse spray.  It can withstand larger gaps that spary and is much more consistant.
Fronius USA is only a short drive and I have been in their lab, and they have VERY good Application Engineers that have done many DOE's for us for process development.
Parent - By awill4x4 (**) Date 03-07-2007 11:16
Fronius here in Australia are highly regarded and indeed they have been one of the few welding companies that market their product well in the market place. We hardly do any Mig work but lots of Tig work and when it came down to getting a new 240 volt inverter AC/DC Tig for on site use it came down to 2 companies in the end (Fronius and Kemppi). For various reasons neither Miller or Lincoln seem inclined to compete to any degree and with the current crop on top line European inverters offering more features and better pricing that was the direction we took. My final choice was for the new Kemppi MLS 230 amp machine which Kemppi have brought on the market especially to target the equivalent Fronius machine and with a cost saving of over $1000 Aus it is a bargain here. I've only had the Kemppi for a week now but for a single phase 240V machine it is a very impressive piece of equipment.
Regards Andrew.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / CMT method of transfer in GMAW