Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / oxy/gas setup and shutdown
- - By YumpTTC (*) Date 02-19-2001 05:20
I have recently had an argument in my shop about the proper startup and shutdown of just a regular oxy/acetylene rig. If anyone has any documentation from a notable company, such as aws, I would appreciate it.

Ok, apparently I need to be more direct. I was told by three of my bosses not to relieve the pressure off the hose and then thread out the regulator when we roll up. I was always told to do these things or some nasty stuff could result. So does anyone here know for sure which way it is supposed to go?
Parent - - By John H. UK (*) Date 02-21-2001 14:33
What's their argument for you not doing that? I can't see why they wouldn't want you spending two minutes protecting the expensive equipment, and inssurance, they pay for. Perhaps, if by threading out you mean removing the regulators, they are worried you might ruin the thread through doing it so often. If you just mean closing them off I can't see the problem. I always close the cylinders, let the pressure from the hoses and regulators blow out, close the regulators then close the torch. If you were to leave the cylinders and regulators open with pressure in the hoses, all it'd take would be for them to be burnt or cut. Isn't there some sort of industrial saftey practise againt leaving them open that you have to follow to be allowed the equipment for workers to be around? I would have thought it would create quite a big fire hazard.
Does anyone know where I can read about liquid fuel vaporising torches? The oxy/petrol (gasoline) ones, or are they hiding in the shadow of some safety review?
Parent - - By bhiltz (**) Date 02-21-2001 15:13
When opening the oxy. tank you turn the valve to the fully open position, the oxygen valve is a double disc valve designed to seal against leakage when fully open. When opening the acet. valve just a little more than cracking it open (a 1/4 turn) you do this in case of a flashback you can quickly shutt off the tank.
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 02-21-2001 17:28
Right on bhiltz. In a burn back it better take longer to close the Oxy than the Acet.

Also never use an Acet bottle in any position other than standing straight up.
Parent - - By peabody (**) Date 02-22-2001 03:59
[deleted]
Parent - By YumpTTC (*) Date 02-22-2001 22:47
This is what I needed to hear. Thank you Mr. Peabody.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-21-2001 21:28
Victor publishes a thirty-something page guide covering; Welding, Cutting and Heating. Its small, its to the point and its easy to get. (any dealer stocking Victor products will have copies)

Victor also has a pretty snappy Oxy-Fuel safety video which I picked up at the welding show last year. It runs through the basics and is a good refresher for Journeymen as well as a teaching tool. Its a real down to earth safety video and NOT just a sales pitch.

The argument in your shop demonstrates the fact that all of us in the trade can benefit from recurrent training. Even Journeymen from time to time should have a refresher from the ground up. Safety, Power Sources, Shop Equipment, Hazard Communication, Human Factors, etc. This kind training goes beyond performance Certs to enhance overall competency, and will benefit the bottom line. Well trained Journeymen have fewer injuries and produce more.

Well thats my pitch for the day!
PS. All Oxy-Fuel beginners MUST have supervision by an expert when they begin hands on training.

Lawrence
Parent - By torchdragon Date 02-22-2001 14:55
You can get all the information you need at www.victortorch.com
You can also get the books you are asking about.
We have seen and investigated, flashbacks. Unfortunately there is a lot more of these, than what you read about. oxy-fuel accidents do happen. You can read more about flashbacks at the above address.
Most oxy-fuel accidents happen when there are more than 1 user of the same equipment.
You lite the torch, with the fuel only. Never with the oxygen on.
When you shut the valve down on the torch, and you are still getting a flame.
1. If it burns a few seconds, and then goes out. It's normally the fuel side.
2. If it burns a few seconds, and then POPs out. It's normally the oxygen side.
Either way, if it doesn't shut off, NEEDS REPAIRED
Hope this helps.
Chet at customerservice@victortorch.com
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / oxy/gas setup and shutdown