Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D1.8 seminar
- - By dschlotz (***) Date 03-07-2007 03:52
Do any of you know if AWS is going to do a D1.8 seminar? I have just read D1.8 and I have some concerns about the paper work for Demand Critical welds. Maybe one of you that are more in the know will share a document with me that cover the bases necessary to satisfy all of the new requirements. WPS, Filler metal certs etc.

I haven't seen a spec. book or even a drawing yet that has demand critical welds. I live in a very active seismic zone so it's only a matter of time. I just want to be ready.

I don't want any proprietary information--just some good direction so I can compare with my understanding of the new regs.

Thanks
Dennis
Parent - - By thcqci (***) Date 03-07-2007 13:42
I would be interested in a seminar also.  One would hope either AWS and/or AISC could organize something for fabricators.  There are some AISC seminars for engineers and design type personnel, but as a QA/QC type person, I would like one covering those issues further down the pipeline.  We have had a couple of seismic...ish projects, but few here have a clear understanding what is required, from estimators estimating projects, to project managers managing those projects, to detailers preparing drawings, to fabricators fabricating all the way to me who is responsible for QA/QC functions.  I have read extensively through the FEMA, AISC and AWS documents and have tried to convey to others what all is involved, but sometimes I feel like a lone voice calling in the wilderness.  If these guys were to hear it from AWS/AISC, maybe they will get on board better.  Besides, here is another chance for AWS/AISC to make some money!
Parent - - By pax23 (**) Date 03-08-2007 22:28
There is a lecture on D1.8 at NASCC upcoming:
http://www.aisc.org/Content/ContentGroups/Documents/Events2/Schedule.pdf
(search "D1.8")

Also check out article in February Welding Journal:
http://www.aws.org/wj/2007/02/
Parent - By thcqci (***) Date 03-09-2007 17:03
Thanks.  I read that article and forwarded it to our engineering group a couple of weeks ago.  Since the lecture mentioned is only 1½ hours long and billed as an "overview of D1.8", that is not as nearly a detailed seminar as I would like to attend.  There appears to be several seminars directed towards engineers, I am looking for something more in depth directed to all the rest of us further down the pipeline that must deal with AISC and AWS seismic requirements.
Parent - By dschlotz (***) Date 03-10-2007 02:30
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D1.8 seminar