Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / rebar welding
- - By - Date 02-19-2001 20:02
I've got a project coming up that involves rebar welding to metal plates for concrete forms. Does anybody know where the code or procedures for this would be, say in the structural steel code book or where? I also need info on the recommended filler selection. I will be using an innershield wire.

Thanks
Parent - By seiqc Date 07-18-2001 23:58
AWS D1.4 I believe.
Parent - By kmcquait (*) Date 07-19-2001 01:00
i ran into this a while back. d1.4 is a book for supporting steel. It is perfectly understandable for very serious applications, such as long span bridges or high rise structures. However, in the situation I ran into, rebar could either be tied or welded, but, if it was welded the welders had to run qualificatin test and procedures qualifications. Of course this is very costly, especially when the rebar can just be twist tied with those silly little wires.

If the engineer, inspector, or owner is not pushing the issue, don't bring it up. It would be a good idea to follow it, but, don't get yourself into a situation that somebody says "hey, maybe your guys should qualify to the D1.4". If you do, you will regret it.

Oh, and the filler will probably a 90 KSI or higher.

Good Luck!!
Parent - By R. Johnson (**) Date 07-19-2001 03:11
There is a weldable grade of rebar but it is usually not available. Most rebar can be welded if you preheat and use a low-hydrogen welding process. I am not sure that innershield FCAW wire will meet the low-hdrogen requirements.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / rebar welding