Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Double fillet welding
- - By andrewsullivan9 (*) Date 03-07-2007 23:47
Hi im kinda a newbie to MIG welding, the job that im working on at the minute requires me to do a double fillet weld on
3mm low carbon steel . At the minute my welds are single fillet and i cant work out how to adjust the settings correctly
to get a perfect double fillet weld every time. The welder im using is a big Kempi welder power is set at 3,2 and wirespeed
at 7 out of 15 using 1.2mm wire.Can anyone offer me some help on this please ?
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 03-08-2007 07:58
Hello andrewsullivan9, the problem with responding to your post has a bit to do with the description that you have given of the question that you are asking. When you say double fillet welds are you referring to making a single fillet weld on both sides of a 3 mm vertical member? or are you referring to making a two pass weld on the same side of a 3 mm vertical member?
     Secondly, you have said that you are using a Kempi power supply at some specific settings. Unless the respondents are familiar with this specific machine they will have no way of telling you whether these settings are in the ballpark or not and then not having an idea of the specific model of the machine it could be even that much more difficult to respond. I realize that you are new to this type of thing so I would give you a few tips that might help to explain a better way to term your question. When you refer to machine settings try to state the specific voltages that you are using, on machines that do not have accurate digital or analog displays that can be difficult and may require the use of external electronic measuring equipment such as a DC Volt/Amp meter. When you are referring to wire speed on the feeder portion of the machine you should try to refer to this in inches-per-minute or mm-per-minute, that can also be difficult, but not impossible. Cut the wire off at the end of the nozzle, pull the trigger on the gun and feed wire for 30 seconds or 15 seconds, stop the wire feeding after this period of time, measure the amount of wire that has been fed out and do the math to figure out how much wire you are actually feeding at the inches-per-minute or mm-per-minute rate. It would also be helpful to include a description of the shielding gas that you are using, the various gas mixtures can have a definite impact on determining the mode of arc transfer that you are attaining with specific machine settings. Since there are 3 to 4 basic modes of transfer related to welding with solid carbon steel filler wires, including the gas, voltage, and wire speed information will greatly increase your chances of receiving accurate information and suggestions to help you.
     Some real basic things that might help would include: proper gun angle to insure even distribution of weld metal to avoid undercutting, rollover, or cold-lap of the edge of the weld bead. Proper push/drag angle to help to ensure proper profile of finished weld bead. The amount of angle involved with either of these methods of weld progression will have a distinct effect on width, heighth, convexity, concavity, or flatness of the bead(certainly machine settings will also influence this somewhat). Positition of wire relative to centerline of joint, relationship to previously laid down weld passes, or gun angle deviations from the perpendicular position of the weld progression, this is the angle that the gun is tilted off from 90 either side of the weld centerline. One other fairly basic suggestion to consider, if the weld seems to be a bit high in the center it can mean that you might need to increase the machine voltage or reduce the wire speed slightly on the other hand if the bead seems to be wide and flat it could mean that you might need to increase the wire speed or reduce the voltage. It can also mean that the drag-push angle could be too low relative to the plate surface. As gun push/drag angle comes closes to 90 degrees straight up the bead tends to become wider and flatter, as gun angle is brought down from the 90 degrees straight up the bead tends to become narrower and taller.
      One of the easiest things for you to do right off the bat, is to get some scrap, make some welds that simulate the particular type of weld that you are trying to perfect, and practice to determine the proper way to accomplish this. When you make changes to your approach, take care to only change one thing at a time and carefully note your result. If there are other individuals where you work that you can approach for information, use this opportunity to do so and try to have an open mind to their suggestions. I'm sure that you'll do just fine and after a bit more time you'll be perfectly comfortable making the necessary corrections on your own to figure all of this out. Have patience, ask questions, pay attention, and never close your mind to the learning process.
     You'll likely receive other suggestions for success so be willing to pay attention to all that you hear. One last item that I should probably mention has to do with what is commonly called welding parameters, in some cases you will be required by the specific job to use fairly specific machine settings(voltage, wire speed, travel speed) aside from these items you will also have to use specific shielding gas types, wire types, wire diameters, and specific finished weld sizes. This may all sound like a lot but after you have more time under the hood or on the job it will become a much more comfortable thing to do. Good luck and regards, and keep us posted on your progress. aevald
Parent - By andrewsullivan9 (*) Date 05-02-2008 23:09
The type of welding i was refferring to is 1 weld which looks like 2 single fillet welds beside eachother and it is done in 1 run when its being welded it looks like the wire is being split in half with half going left and half going right i have watched it being done before but was asked to set a machine up to do it for a weld test for a job, still havent worked out how to set the machine up for it i think its around 32volts with around 3 inch/s wirespeed maybe?
Parent - - By abrahamx (*) Date 05-09-2008 10:09
Not familiar with the process, but just would like to say my piece.  No big deal either way, but this is the AMERICAN welding society, so it is my belief that we should stick to the american style of measurments. 
Parent - - By HgTX (***) Date 05-12-2008 15:24
This may be the AMERICAN welding society, but what makes you think that every single industry in AMERICA uses inches and not millimeters?  And have you opened an AMERICAN welding society code book lately?  Have you noticed which system of measurement comes first and which is secondary in brackets?  (Apparently you haven't bothered, so I'll fill you in--it's not the millimeters that are in brackets.)

It's bad enough that we're the laughingstock of the industrial world for our insistence on an arcane system of measurement, but you inserted yourself into this discussion not to add any technical merit but just to give more ammunition to the "ignorant American" stereotype.  That makes me ashamed on your behalf.

Hg
Parent - - By gshuma (**) Date 05-12-2008 15:44
HgTX
Well said and thank you for speaking up.
Parent - By HgTX (***) Date 05-12-2008 18:11
I do have to back off of one of my statements.  The "AMERICAN welding society" bridge code (D1.5) has millimeters first and inches second.  D1.1, though, still does have inches first.  But the millimeters are nonetheless in there.  I can only assume that's because the "AMERICAN welding society" intended for those units to be used by whoever would like to use them.

Hg
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 05-09-2008 17:18
Let me know your fax number and I'll fax you a sheet showing how to make a double fillet weld.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - By andrewsullivan9 (*) Date 05-09-2008 20:33
we never use inches feet over here in uk, and trying to convert everything is difficult for me, however i am trying to learn rod sizes and equalivalent sizes so i know you mean 3mm when you say 3/32 etc.G.S.Crisi just sent you an email there thanks for your help
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Double fillet welding