Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / 5086-H32 Aluminum base material question..
- - By Kix (****) Date 03-08-2007 14:42
Application is a 20' boom on a man lift.  The boom is in for weld repair and i was wondering if anyone had any background on this base material and what filler would be best applicable.  I do not know what filler was used in the 1st application.  There will be no post weld heat treat after repairs have been made. 

Thanks
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-08-2007 15:40
Kix

I wouldn't even consider an attempt without specific direction from the manufacturer of the boom.

Your liability on this is waaaay to great.
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 03-08-2007 16:42
Well, i know it was one of 3 different grades.  We have the print that specifies what rods the builder could of used and 5356 was one and i think 5056 was another.  I'm waiting on the other exact 2 rods that could of been used.  The repairs are minor just some overlap that needs to be ground out and some crater cracks that need to be ground and filled at the start and stops of these increment welds.  I guess i will have to have these guys do some digging for the documentation on what was used.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / 5086-H32 Aluminum base material question..