Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Do i need to retest my welders when introducing preheat?
- - By Kix (****) Date 03-08-2007 20:24
Following the D1.2/D1.2M2003 aluminum structural code do i have to requalify a procedure and retest my welders if i want to start using preheat on an application that was not qualified with preheat.  Base material is 1/2" T6-6061 using a 4643 filler,1/4" to 5/16" fillets with wire feed and tig processes.  I'm telling these guys we have to use preheat to control their distortion probs and need to know if we're going to get put on hold for retest and the whole 9 yards.. Thanks ahead for any help in this case!!
Parent - - By kipman (***) Date 03-09-2007 11:04
Kix,
6061 is in the M23 group (ref para 4.2.2 of D1.2), and is further classified as a heat-treatable alloy by Note 5 of Table 3.1.  Table 3.1 requires requalification of the WPS if you increase the preheat temp by more than 100 degrees F.  Preheat is not an essential variable with regards to welder qualification, so you would not need to requalify the welders (ref Table 3.9).
Mankenberg
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 03-09-2007 13:04 Edited 03-09-2007 13:06
Very nice!! Thank you very much for the quick reply.  I will be getting my CWI here shortly and i am going over the book and scratching my head at the moment.  I did see those tables and you made things very clear at what i'm looking at now.. Say i want to introduce pulse into the GMAW process, would i then need to requailify the welder? Thanks again!!
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 03-09-2007 13:20
ok i'm looking in table 3.1 under welding power supply and the qoute is (A change from convential type to pulsed type and vice versa).  Still meaning i would only have to reqaulify the WPS and not the welders themselves.  So would reqaulifying the wps mean i have to send samples back to the lab for test again if i want to introduce preheat and pulse?
Parent - By kipman (***) Date 03-09-2007 15:16
That's right.  It means you are basically starting over from scratch.  Develop a preliminary WPS, weld a test plate or plates recording all of the relevant information, NDT, mechanical testing, etc.
Mankenberg
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Do i need to retest my welders when introducing preheat?