Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / repurposing 40' intermodal shipping con
- - By samsmall Date 02-20-2001 01:38
Hey all.

I'm looking for somone with some experience in repurposing 40' intermodal shipping containers into housing structures. The local building department on the Hawaiin Island of Maui has concerns about using the containers as a structural element to build the house around.

I'm envisioning welding the boxes down the steel posts sunk into concrete footings then welding one container on top of the other. Cutting out sections of the side walls to create doors and windows, etc.

Any feedback, experience or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If you could pass this request on to anyone who has interest that would be just great. I've got two of these boxes on-site and really want to build a house around them.

Is there a e-news list or discussion group from this organization or any other that I could join and post this request to?

Thanks for your time and consideration.

direct email to samsmall@ptd.net
Parent - By DGXL (***) Date 02-28-2001 16:44
Consult a structural engineer.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / repurposing 40' intermodal shipping con