Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Inspection by ASNT certificated people
- - By TAMPALUIS (**) Date 03-09-2007 20:46
Hello,

In my company, we need to inspect a structural weld, but the person that can do it is certificated by the AMERICAN SOCIETY OF NON-DESTRUCTIVE TESTINGS with the SNT-TC-1A standar. He is certificated in:
- Visual inspection, level 2
- Magnetic particle inspection, level 2

My question is, can he inspect this structural welding? I mean, maybe, the AWS allow this inspection according to the standar that I mentioned, before.

thank you
Parent - - By HgTX (***) Date 03-09-2007 21:33
No.  A CWI needs to know a lot of welding-specific information, how to read a welding code book, etc.  A CWI qualifies for ASNT VT, but not the other way around.  Someone who is ASNT MT Level II could perform the MT on the weld, but it is still the CWI who is responsible for final acceptance.

Hg
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 03-09-2007 21:38
HgTX, sorry, I disagree.  D1.1 does NOT require a CWI for weld inspection.  Yes, it may be preferrable but NOT required.  An ASNT-SNT-TC1a Inspector can sign off the welds as can an Engineer or any other "duly qualified" person, which could include many "others."
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 03-09-2007 21:49
i have not looked at it lately but are you required to have some classroom hours for a vt level II
Parent - By chuck meadows (***) Date 03-09-2007 23:37
I agree with Jon. We had this exact same scenario when I worked for FMC, Inc. and I, as the Engineer, and the Level II signed off. I was a CWI also, but I signed off as the Company Engineer and the Level II signed off as an independent non-company inspector. Go figure...
Parent - - By maxilimiano (**) Date 03-10-2007 08:14
I am sorry Jon...In my interpretation,I agree with HGX, NDE Inspector has responsibilities to Welding Inspector...CSWIP or WI AWS, Than WI has responsibilities to the owner or manufacturer...eventhoug I has NDE Level II + Welding Inspector + Welding Engineer, If in my contract said I am Inspector, I will do as Inspector not NDE Personel, or engineer....That is very-very clearly..

Thank...apologize if I made mistake..:)
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 03-10-2007 10:44
maxilimiano, and all others; there is no need to apologize ;-). 

This is not a matter of interpretation nor opinion.  The answer is written in black and white in the Inspection Section of D1.1; the qualifications to inspect welds are CLEARLY spelled out and it does NOT require one be a CWI.  If any have questions or comments, I suggest they READ THE CODE. 

There was a single edition of D1.1 that did require CWI (I think it was a late 1970's Edition), that Edition resulted in may lawsuits so the Society pulled it and required a change of verbiage. 

That said, if a Contract document requires a CWI, then the Contract supercedes the Code for that particular element.
Parent - By NDTIII (***) Date 03-10-2007 11:15
You have to look at your contract documents or job specifications and see what is required.
My personal opinion is that having an ASNT VT cert does not qualify you to look at welding.
ASNT VT covers visual testing an optical testing. The welding portion of the exam is very limited.
I have a VT Level III cert, but I don;t think that qualifies me to sign off on welds.
That is only my opinion.
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 03-11-2007 01:13
I think which structural welding code it was welded to would be the first question to ask. The individual is out of South America, so it may or may not be AWS. Making the assumption that it is AWS, then 1.) establish which AWS code and next, to check is contract documents. I suggest reading Section 1 in it's entirety in D1.1 as to an explanation of this.
Again assuming D1.1 2006 edition a key excerpt under 6.1.4.1 which is the inspectors qualification requirements
"(3) An individual who, by training or experience, or
both, in metals fabrication, inspection and testing, is
competent to perform inspection of the work."

It doesn't even say you have to be ASNT. just competent under that clause. For the most part, The fabricator will have a QAM that requires some level of certification as insurance companies have a different idea of what competent is vs the minimum as found in D1.1. Many prefer a current AWS CWI for this kind of work due to "due diligence" in the event there is a problem with their product. They don't want to be seen as having skimmed corners when and if they go to court. The use of a CWI or ASNT inspector or both, is not a factor of requirement for code its a pucker factor should something go wrong.

Regards,
Gerald
Parent - - By thirdeye (***) Date 03-11-2007 12:48
Good morning Gerald,

You are correct about the wording in 6.1.4.1.  However requirements specifically for NDT personnel is called out in Part D, Personnel Qualification.  It is there that certification in conformance with ASNT SNT-TC-1a is mentioned as a requirement for NDT other than visual.

~thirdeye~
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 03-11-2007 17:17
The visual was all I was referring to. On a personnel opinion note, I don't agree with the visual not being included, and in saying that, having a LII SNT-TC-1A cert is no guarantee. I wished AWS would require A CWI or CSWIP. I've seen that clause I referred to abused on more than one occasion. Which will continue until AWS does something about it.
Parent - - By HgTX (***) Date 03-12-2007 21:49
Sorry, living in a D1.5 world.  In D1.5, that 3rd option must be determined by the Engineer to be equivalent to a CWI even if the inspector doesn't actually hold a current certification.

Even in D1.1, though, the question becomes "competent according to who?"    There's no commentary to that section of D1.1, but why even bother to have those first two options (CWI and Canadian equivalent thereof) if there wasn't some kind of intent to have CWI be the standard?

Hg
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 03-13-2007 02:50
Hg you've struck upon a problem I've been having in the past few years. "competent according to who" and "some kind of intent"
Trying to prove intent is very often like trying to prove the sky is blue to a blind person. In the post six sigma/lean world if
it's not spelled out in graphic language that is air tight, "intent" is going to mean whatever production wants it to mean, and therefore
so is the word competent. It's clear to those of us who know what we are doing what it means, but to someone crunching numbers
and looking for a way to cut cost (go lean) and save a dime, it's going to (and has on more than one occasion) be twisted.
Parent - - By HgTX (***) Date 03-13-2007 11:35
But there's a big difference between "you can twist the code to mean that pretty much anyone is allowed to perform inspection" and "You fool!  Don't you know the code has no requirements for who can perform inspection?!"

Hg
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 03-13-2007 16:33
agreed
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-11-2007 22:03
As several of you have mentioned, you need to review the requirements of the code or welding standard you are using as well as the project specifications. What is defined as a structural weld? Different welding standards include different types of structures as structural welding, for example; structural steel for a building frame, machinery bases and foundations, non-pressurized joints, etc.

D1.1 will accept the credentials of a current or past AWS CWI, but it isn't required. The fabricator can set up their own training, qualification, and certification program if that is how they would like to approach the problem.

I believe it is AWS B5.2 describes a method of setting up an in-house program and uses a method similar to SNT-TC-1A. Likewise, SNT-TC-1A describes a means of establishing a system to train, qualify, and certify VT inspectors as well as technicians for other NDT methods. AWS B5.2 is focused on the inspection of welds, where as SNT-TC-1A can be more general or focused on one area of interest (Limited) if that's how the company sets up their system.

As of last spring the Navy, with their new revision of NAVSEA TP271, is not going to accept AWS CWI credentials and will require the VT inspector to be qualified and certified per SNT-TC-1A.

Every welding standard has their own requirements for the visual inspector that needs to be reviewed and complied with.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Ariel D C (**) Date 03-12-2007 11:14
The job specification or applicable code may help to determine the acceptable qualification needed for an inspector.  Aside from certification, experience mentioned in the Inspector's Resume is essential for employer to get the right personnel to perform the inspection of the work. Sometimes the employer / client call for interview to find out if the inspector is suitable for the job.

Big companies practice the use of Quality Manual, which stipulated the qualification requirement for inspector assigned to carry out the specific task. Owner user / client or third party normally asks for this document for review / comments and approval prior to the start of project.

Regards

Ariel D C
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 03-12-2007 11:52
Some very good responses here.  The bottom line, in re-reading the original post "is ASNT VT acceptable in lieu of AWS CWI for structural welding" (paraphrased).

Unless contract documents specifiy otherwise, and in fact the work is governed under an AWS D1 Code, the answer is quite simply as stated by CWI555.  Individuals with the following qualifications may inspect welds under D1 Rules:

"(3) An individual who, by training or experience, or
both, in metals fabrication, inspection and testing, is
competent to perform inspection of the work."
Parent - - By TAMPALUIS (**) Date 03-12-2007 13:11
Thank you for all your responses,

The conclusion is that our ASNT cert. people can inspect the work, according to CWI555 response about D1 rules.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 03-12-2007 15:29
LMAO!!!  w/ Jon........READ THE CODE!!!!!
Parent - - By TAMPALUIS (**) Date 03-12-2007 15:46
I am sorry Js55, I don't understand you. Do you response me? what do you refer with "LMAO!!!  w/ Jon"
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 03-12-2007 15:49
My post wasn't intended for you. I do believe Jon's post was intended as a general indictment of posted opinions based upon what they think it should be the case, as opposed to what the code actually says. I was agreeing with him.
Parent - - By TAMPALUIS (**) Date 03-12-2007 16:03
And what do you think about my conclusion?
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 03-12-2007 16:07
It is clear you do not need a CWI to do VT. However, keep in mind that CWI555 also correctly mentioned the QAM. There needs to be some systemization, and verificaiton for whoever it is you are using for your VT.
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 03-12-2007 16:18
That's correct js55, I often speak with people on Code writing bodies and, while I don't claim to be the best person in the world at "interpreting" Code requirements, my fellow committee member's compliment me by saying "at least you READ what's in the Code's instead of just guessing...."
Parent - - By TAMPALUIS (**) Date 03-12-2007 16:38
I am sorry, but I am rookie in this topic about inspection in welding, so Could you explain me what is the meaning of the abbreviations that you mentioned? VT? QAM?. And I think that CWI means certificated welding inspector, is it correct?

Thank you
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 03-12-2007 16:41
VT = Visual Testing (also called Visual Exam or Visual Inspection by some Codes)

QAM = Quality Assurance Manual (Company or Client) may also be called Quality Control Manual or Program

CWI = Certified Welding Inspector, that is correct.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 03-12-2007 16:57
No need to apologize. We are all rookies at something in here. Hang around  long enough you'll see it.
Parent - - By TAMPALUIS (**) Date 03-12-2007 18:38 Edited 03-12-2007 19:22
thanks a lot, every body

My question now is about QAM. This manual have to be created by our company, does it? And, In which this manual consist?

I think that the manual contains  a procedure about the inspection considering the quality standars of the weld.

thank you
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 03-12-2007 21:24
There are many forms of a quality assurance manual that depends on your industry focus in some cases.
Your QAM should address things like: (of the top of my head so I'll probably miss a few for the eagle eyes out there)
1. organization
2. responsibilities
3. tracebility
4. non comformance
5. conformance
6. inspection
7. corrective action
8. preventative action
9. defects (control thereof)
10. audits
11. records
12. Calibrations
13. MT& E (materials testing and Examination)(gauges, dial calipers etc) control thereof
14 Qaulity Control

I think you get the idea. That is not a complete list. If your company does not have a QAM I suggest getting yourself a copy of ISO 9000 and 9001.
Parent - - By TAMPALUIS (**) Date 03-13-2007 14:34
ok, I understood you. This QAM is a documents created by the company focused in our industry (in this case cargo aircraft apllications), and it must complaint some many quality standars. is it correct?
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 03-13-2007 16:37
Yes, and as a general rule, anything to do with aircraft is usually very very strict. Your quality assurance manual should basically cover who, when, where, what, and how for all quality matters.
Parent - - By TAMPALUIS (**) Date 03-13-2007 16:50
ok, thank you very much.
Parent - - By ISO Date 03-28-2007 12:43
What about AWS D14.6, can you fall back to the three options in AWS D1.1 for the inspector qualifications. Can a trained QC person look at tack welds without being a SCWI, CWI, or CAWI if your company complies to AWS D14.6 for rotating parts?
Parent - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 03-31-2007 14:47
I'm coming into this late but here is what bothers me about some of the responces.  AWS is not the goverment that says you must certify to it or else. If you don't have a CWI than what you do have is worthless. I'm a CWI and a ASNT-TC-1A level II in VT, PT, and UT. There is alot more real time training required for any ASNT or SNT cert than for a CWI. Here is what I mean by that. To get a CWI you fill out an applacation and then go in and take a test and if you pass you become a CWI. We have all seen people that have gone and taken there CWI, maybe like an engineer and they pass. Some by taken the CWI seminar and some that don't. Then you have a CWI that can't perform as an inspector in the field. ASNT and SNT require training. You have to prove training hours, and if you don't meet the training hours required than you have to take training outlined in your ASNT written practice. I was in the Nurclear industry for the last several years and they don't care if you have a CWI, you will train and qualify under a SNT-TC-1A program, and the reason is the company can train you to fit what they need. You will also qualify to a NQA-1 program.  If the contract documents stipulate AWS CWI than that's what you have to do, but what I'm seeing more and more is the inspectors will be qualified to a SNT-TC-1A written practice. I'm glad to see this more and more because I personaly think you get a better and more rounded inspector. Training is the key. I know some of you will respond back with, "but when the person fills out the applacation for a CWI exam they must put down 5 years of experience."  But that can be easly manipulated. I challenge all to go to ASNT web site and look at the requirements for the written practice and the requirements for each level of certification

Thanks
Jim Hughes
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-31-2007 18:25
One of the problems that I encounter with SNT-TC-1A is that it allows the employer to modify the recommendations for training, experience, etc. provided they include provisions for doing so in their written practice. I encountered a testing company that included a NDT category called the "test witness". The Level II "test witness" did not require any training, experience, or written or practical examination. This category of inspector was developed to circumvent a customer requirement that all NDT performed by a contractor be witness by a third party Level II to verify the testing was performed correctly and that they agreed with the test results. It was a clear abuse of the intent of SNT-TC-1A which by its title is only a "recommended practice".

AWS QC1 does not include a training requirement for the three levels of certifications, i.e., CAWI, CWI, and SCWI. However, many of the people taking the AWS examinations have completed the AWS training seminars which are on the order of forty hours of training. Compare that to the training recommendations (not requirements) of SNT-TC-1A, assuming the individual has a high school education, only 24 hours (total) of classroom training is required for the combination of Level I and Level II. SNT TC-1A does not exclude "self-study" (I passed the ASNT ACCP Level III VT examinations based on "self-studying"). Then compare the hours of work experience required for the Level I and Level II combination, it totals 210 hours over a period of less than a year recommended by SNT-TC-1A to that required by QC1. If I remember correctly, AWS QC1 requires a minimum of five years of experience for a person with a high school education to become a CWI.

An employer that meets the intent of SNT-TC-1A's recommendations, or better yet, meets CP-189, by providing "real" training is going to have an inspector that is qualified to perform the required inspections for the work being performed for that employer. There is nothing in SNT-TC-1A that would exclude the CWI training/certification as meeting the requirements of SNT-TC-1A if the employer includes it in their written practice for their Level I and Level II inspection personnel.

As for manipulating the work experience, any program is only as good as the people that participate in it. There are companies that falsify work experience everyday of the week and it isn't restricted to the world of inspection and NDT.

I still encounter NDT technicians certified to SNT-TC-1A at all levels that are qualified and certified in name only by employers that abuse the qualification/certification process. That's why I elected to certify to ASNT's ACCP program. It adds third party involvement to the qualification and certification process. It helps to minimize the vulgarities of certifications that are solely employer based. Still, the work experience is by an affidavit signed by the employer. That is easy enough to falsify.

However, it's more difficult to falsify the examinations when they are administered by a third party such as AWS or ASNT. In general the ASNT examinations do a pretty good job of separating those with knowledge and experience from those that only read the book. Every program has limitations. The limitation of ASNT's ACCP Level III VT examination is that covers a lot of different areas and materials that are subject to visual testing. Due to the breadth of the ASNT ACCP Level III examination there are a limited number of questions on welding, brazing, and soldering. If the primary function of the inspector is to inspect welds, I believe the AWS CWI and SCWI examinations do a better job of assessing a person's knowledge of welding than the ASNT's Level III VT examination.

Every program has its limitations. Every program is subject to abuse. Organizations that offer certification programs such as AWS, ASNT, API, can not be policemen. The certification program's success is dependent on the individuals that participate in the programs and their on-the-job performance as certified individuals. The code of ethics that the AWS CWI, SCWI, and ASNT Level III place their signature on when they become certified doesn't include a clause whereby they can have their certifications revoked for "stupidity". It's unfortunate that a few "bad apples" can ruin the reputation of a certification program. And it is unfortunate that many people that sit on the code committees still do not appreciate the differences are between ASNT's SNT-TC-1A, CP-189, and ACCP.

I believe it is very worthwhile to have both the AWS and ASNT VT certifications. AWS is very focused on welding and ASNT requires a good understanding of visual testing of a wide range of materials that CWIs are often assigned to inspect, but have little or no background with. One certification does a very nice job of complimenting the other.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 04-01-2007 13:38
AI,

I think you made a better case for ASNT SNT than I did. First of all the AWS course is not training, it's more about passing the test. That's why when hiring CWI's in my experience has been costly at best because they make the test but have no training and can't perform the work. I have not seen what you have seen concerning ASNT. I have worked for Fluor and Bechtel and did not see what you saw. I witnessed some very good SNT-TC-1A programs and some great training aimed at the codes and processes we were working on. I first hand just finished puting a written practice together for the company I am now with with the technical help from ASNT and it has been great to be able to train people and direct that training towards the codes and areas that we as a company are dealing with day in and day out.

Thanks
Jim
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-02-2007 04:19
Jim, I agree that there are companies that use SNT-TC-1A as a basis for their in-house training, qualification, and certification programs that have competent inspectors. They have excellent programs for training their in-house personnel and they provide services to their clients that are second to none.

At the same time there are companies that "play the game" and provide less than adequate service to the unsuspecting public that does not understand that SNT-TC-1A is a recommended practice and as such, the recommendations are just that, they are not requirements. Most of the companies purchasing NDT services do not read, much less understand, the NDT contractor's written practice

CP-189 is a standard and it goes a long ways in addressing the weaknesses of SNT-TC-1A in that it set minimum requirements that must be met if it is invoked by contract.

As I said, SNT-TC-1A does not disallow home-study, the employer does not have to provide classroom training. Classroom training is a recommendation, not a requirement. The hours of training, the examinations, the hours of relevant work experience are all determined by the employer with the sweep of the pen (or the touch of the keys on the keyboard) under the auspices of SNT-TC-1A.

I am very happy to hear that the large contractors such as Fluor and Bechtel have stringent training requirements and rigorous work experience requirements. I believe if you look at their client base, you will see that they are also the "big players" in the industry and they have the where with all to properly review and comprehend the written practice and the NDT procedures that are submitted by their construction contractors. Flour and Bechtel would get their butts handed to them on a plastic plate if they tried to pull the wool over on their customers. Unfortunately, many companies purchasing NDT services don't have that level of in-house expertise or if they did, they would not be purchasing outside NDT services. 

As for the CWI program, it is a fair statement to say that the AWS seminars do a good job of providing the general background information needed by welding inspectors. It is important to remember that the seminars are intended for individuals that have experience in the inspection of welds before attending the seminar or taking the AWS examinations. It is the employer's responsibility to ensure the inspector has the experience and training necessary to perform the job assigned. It is not stated anywhere in QC1 that the CWI is qualified to do every type of weld inspection. However, the CWI certification does tell the employer that the individual has a good understanding of what weld inspection entails, an understanding of the fundamentals of welding processes (a CWI knows that GTAW welds will not have slag inclusions), welding symbols, destructive testing, and welding documentation. That doesn't mean that the employer should not or does not have to provide additional training to prepare the CWI for job specific requirements. A CWI that took the open book API 1104 examination is not necessarily well versed in ASME Section I or Section VIII requirements. Likewise, the CWI that passed the D1.1 open book examination is not necessarily prepared to function as a piping inspector that works with the requirements of B31.3. Hence, now there is the opportunity to demonstrate a level of proficiency in using ASME codes and other AWS welding codes and standards by taking the AWS endorsement examinations.

I can not say that I ever received the all the knowledge I needed by attending any one course or seminar. I've taken courses through AWS, ASM, ASME, ASNT, and too many college courses to list,  that have added to the "body of knowledge" I've acquired over the years. There is a limit to the subject material can be covered in a course that lasts for XX hours. I judge the value of a seminar or course by the information presented, not that any one is an all-inclusive package.

A newly minted CWI is like a fresh graduate of an engineering college, they both still have a lot to learn before they are ready to tackle the world on their own. I believe the same can be said about a new Level I, Level II, or even a Level III. I've been a SCWI for 10 years or so and I've been a ASNT Level III in several test methods for 12 years (or so) and there's still plenty that I have to learn. (Hell, I just learn that I can't perform MT through paint. I guess all those magnetic particle indications I've seen were figments of my imagination.) It's a fair statement to say that I make it a point to learn something new everyday. My daughter said she would love to find a book or magazine in the bathroom that wasn't about welding, metallurgy, or NDT. 

I'll repeat myself by saying that I believe that when it involves welding inspection, the AWS and ASNT certifications compliment each other. No certification program is perfect. Both organizations are continually working to improve upon their existing certification programs. Both programs depend on the people involved "doing the right thing" and both programs can be weakened by individuals that insist on taking "short cuts" or circumventing the certification requirements.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 04-02-2007 11:20
AI,

I totally agree. What I am saying about AWS is that it is not good enough to give a basic background that you spoke of. For the most part people that look at AWS and the CWI program in general think that the person that has recieved his/her CWI has the training needed to be an in the field inspector. I have not seen that. I'm sorry to say it but it is true. I have fired more CWI's due to the lack of basic understanding of inspection and code related work than I like to mention. It is about training, because your right the person that is not truthful about their SNT-TC-1A written practice is also not truthful about what they put on the applacation to be considered to take the CWI exam.  At least with the ASNT programs, it offers the opportunity to build a program that inables the company to set the bar high and train their personel, are there some companies taking advantage and cheating the system? I'm sure there are. I have not seen it, but it sound like you have. In short, I like the training aspect of ASNT. We are using it and it has done us well.

Thanks
Jim
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-02-2007 15:33
Hello Jim;

I can't believe anyone hired off the street has a stronger background in welding than a CWI.

My question is, "Do you provide the additional training to properly prepare CWIs for the work you have in mind?"

I have to believe that your written practice requires your company to provide the necessary training and examinations to properly assess the new hire's capabilities. When you hire a Level II UT or RT technician, don't you provide them with additional training on the procedures your company employs? And don't you require them to pass a written and hands-on (demonstrated skill) examination before you put them to work in the field? That being the case, isn't the same training being provided to your newly hired CWIs?

I can only speak from my experience. I know that the ASNT Level I and Level II training did not fully prepare me for visual welding inspection. However, the combination of VT training, i.e., preparation for certification per SNT-TC-1A (8 hours and 12 hours) and the AWS CWI seminars (40 hours) did a good job of teaching the basics of visual inspection. I also attended D1.1 seminars and ASME courses for Section IX, B31.1, B31.3, and Section VIII to fully appreciate the requirements of each code.

Even a newly minted mechanic needs additional training by specific manufacturers before they are "factory certified" to troubleshoot and repair any car or truck.

I believe we are in agreement that it takes more than the AWS CWI seminar alone to teach the welding inspector everything required to be a well versed welding inspector. However, I don't believe the limited hours of training required by SNT-TC-1A and the lack of focus in the recommended training outline included in SNT-TC-1A is better than the training offered by AWS. Currently the training provided in the AWS seminars is focused on AWS D1.1 and API 1104, not ASME. I do expect that an individual that has completed the three day seminar on AWS D1.1 to be functional as a visual inspector for D1.1 work provided they have the prerequisit work experience to meet the qualification requirements of the QC1 document. Currently, that level of training isn't provided by AWS for ASME code sections. As per QC1, that leaves it up to the employer to provide that additional training needed to prepare the inspector for the work they are assigned.

I would be interested in seeing your NDT program. It sounds like you (and your employer) have spent considerable time and effort to put together a comprehensive training program for you ASNT inspectors. I have to believe the number of hours of training exceed the recommended hours of training listed in SNT-TC-1A if your inspectors are also involved in qualifying welding procedures, qualifying welders, and monitoring in-process welding operations in addition to simply looking at welds and pronouncing them as good or bad.

I can only say that if every company took the job of training and certifying their NDT personnel seriously and "did what's right", we as professionals in the NDT industry would get the respect deserved. Those companies and individuals that do the minimum (if that) to become certified as NDT technicians do us all a disservice. Their lack of capabilities are quickly recognized and they reflect badly on all of us that have gone the extra mile to learn all that we can about our chosen field. After all, to the general public, certified is certified. They do not differrentiate between those that are certified in name only and those that have truely earned their certifications.

Best regards - Al 
Parent - - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 04-02-2007 16:53 Edited 04-02-2007 17:41
I can't believe you would think that a person hired off the street that has a CWI would have more experience than someone holding a ASNT-TC-1A cert.  All you have to do is put down on your AWS applacation 5 years related work experiance. That could be building trailers some where.  When I am looking at resumes and all I see is a CWI and another resume has ASNT-TC-1A and all the training hours and experience it takes to be a level II, I will defalt to the ASNT guy/girl in a heart beat, unless the contract stipulates a CWI requirment.  It's just not me that feels this way, the DOE feels this way, Bechtel feel's this way and Fluor feels the same way. The nuclear Industry that is making a come back is not going to require someone to be a CWI, because they are going to certify them to SNT-TC-1A.  You prove training and abblitity. I don't think I fully answered all your questions, but after re-reading your responce it makes me think that we both live on two different planets. How it works for us is that we have the applacant fill out a NDE experience form, based on what we can confirm by calling the other companies that the person worked for, along with what is documented on the form and what is determined by a face to face interview and finly a skills test we will make the dession on what training and testing will be done. With a CWI for the most part they will require more training than some one that has gone through a ASNT program. That has been my experience.

Thanks
Jim
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-02-2007 20:17 Edited 04-02-2007 20:22
Hello Jim;

As you stated, the CWI is required to have five years experience. If you read QC1, the experience has to be qualified experience working to a code or standard.

What are the "extensive" work experience and training requirements of ASNT SNT-TC-1A you keep mentioning? You have yet to contradict the information I quoted from the recommendations of SNT-TC-1A which includes 240 hours of work experience [read that as 6 months experience (total) to qualify as a Level II for someone that walks in with NO EXPERIENCE].  Unless Fluor or Bechtel have something in their written practice that requires more training than recommended by SNT-TC-1A (8 hours for a Level I and 16 hours for a Level II) and work experience, I stand by my statement that 5 years experience is more than six months as recommended by SNT-TC-1A and 40 hours of training (if a person takes the AWS seminar or similar training) is more than 24 hours as recommended by SNT-TC-1A.

I've worked in the inspection industry for more than twenty years and I have no hesitation to say I would rather hire a CWI and provide the additional hours of training needed to prepare the inspector for specific job requirements (for example; ASME B31.1 or Section B31.3) than to start with someone that has no training and no experience (as required for a trainee under the auspices of SNT-TC-1A) in the welding industry.

I've worked for laboratories as their Level II UT technician and they only asked two questions. They asked me was whether I had my own UT machine and how much per hour I needed. They never asked to see my training record or my work experience. They never provided a written procedure to follow and they never gave me any examinations. I taught a 40 hour Level I UT class a few years ago. One of the people (who had never used a UT machine before) in the class attended for the first two days. The next time I saw him, it was on the job site a week or two later performing UT inspections on complete joint penetration groove welds without a calibration block. I had one Level II UT inspector that didn't believe he needed a calibration block, he was "calibrating" off the corner of a beam. Another UT Level II had a malfunctioing cable. We had a heated discussion about the number of joints I had inadvertantly reinspected and rejected. His contention was they were already accepted by him. I said there was no way they were acceptable, my reflectors were off screen at reference level. I asked what was the amplitude of the reflectors he saw. He didn't see any. I asked how he calibrated and he replied he didn't need to because he had done his calibration in the office (with a different cable and transducer).  He didn't see any reflectors because the cable he was using was malfunctioning. For every CWI that doesn't pass muster, I can show you technicians certified per "SNT-TC-1A" that didn't know die penetrant from Zyglow, from  liquid dye penetrant.

The discussion can go on without end because the qualifications and certifications are only as good as the training and effort the individual puts into his chosen endevor. There are those people that will excell and there are those that will bounce from one job to the next because their limitations are quickly discovered. You are correct in stating that we are from two different worlds. We are trying to compare apples to oranges, the commercial NDT sector versus the nuclear sector and they are on opposite sides of the planet. However, some of the changes and rumblings I've heard are on par with what I have been seeing in the commercial sector.

I suspect you are correct in making the statement that large companies will not willingly adopt a central certification program that has third party involvement such as the AWS QC1 program or ASNT's ACCP for Level II and Level III certifications. I suspect the real reason for not adopting central certification is the cost involved, not the "quality" of the training or examinations involved.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 04-02-2007 23:09
AI,

it is in their written practice. As you mentioned it is only a recomendation. We and Bechtel require 5 years and it has to be documented. Look, you can keep hiring the CWI's and I will keep hiring ASNT people because in my experience you get better trained people. Not people that go through a seminar that preps you for a certain test. It's about training. You would rather be at the mercy of AWS, and I would like the latitude to train the way I see fit. ASNT gives you that latitude.

Thanks
Jim
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Inspection by ASNT certificated people