Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / welding drill pipe
- - By bctwelding Date 03-10-2007 19:13
Are there any tricks to stopping the irratic arc blow when welding pipe racks made of drill pipe?
Parent - By webbcity (***) Date 03-10-2007 20:22
barry , you need to search this topic there have been many replies to this already that are very good . you would get good info. to help you . good luck . willie
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 03-11-2007 04:54
Wrap the ground around the pipe about 4 or 5 times near the area to be welded then attach it. If that dosent help change the direction of the wrap.
Parent - - By makeithot (***) Date 03-11-2007 16:37
wraping the ground is a good way to eliminate the arc blow . changeing direction of the wrap sometimes helps ,use AC, change polarity, make a series of small tacks and weld towards them. Make your first pass with a smaller rod ie: 3/32. Sourdough is probably a pro at this as he most likely works with drill pipe alot.
Parent - - By bctwelding Date 03-12-2007 02:15
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm not even sure if I'll get the bid. It was the early eighties since I've welded drill pipe and I remmember how the arc freaked out and I just changed direction of welding but I don't recall ever finding a good method of stopping the arc blow. I will search the forums though. Again thanks for spending time to reply.
Parent - - By raftergwelding (*****) Date 03-13-2007 05:45
i jsut got done building 2 sets of racks run a root of 6010 reversed polarity hot and then run a 7018 cap i've tried to wrap and reverse wrap and nuthing worked might of just been the pipe but when i reversed the polarity and burned it hot it seemed to flow better if you're gonna burn it hot make sure your gaps are pretty tight to prevent blow through what did you bid on the racks i bid mine at 1800 a set i did them myself 2 sets in 2 5 day weeks
Parent - By bctwelding Date 03-15-2007 02:55
my bid was 30 hours for 1 rack, no material handling fee. They provide the pipe. I found reliable info that using 8010 can help with arc blow. Also tacking entire rack together, then start assembly of other racks. After all four racks are assembled start welding on first rack that was assembled. I understand that this alleviates some of the magnetism in pipe. I have yet to try it. Maybe I can tell you what I find out later.
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 03-13-2007 05:53
Lot's and lot's of heat. Have a weed burner, and plenty of propane......oh, and big low hyd rod!
Parent - By 357max (***) Date 03-17-2007 14:53
Best and easiest is to use an AC transformer/buzz box with work clamps on both cables and run AC weld current through the structure/rack, from one side/end to the other, while welding. Dead short - 100% duty cycle time. Volts will be about 1 volt.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / welding drill pipe