Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / "X" Factor for low alloy weld consumables
- - By EJSQC Date 03-10-2007 23:43
Can anyone please tell me what the "X" factor is aand how it is determined in ER80SB2 Weld wire?
Please post and/or send to my e-mail address - qc@ejsus.com.

Thanks
Parent - - By MBSims (****) Date 03-11-2007 16:22
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 03-12-2007 14:24
J/X factor requirements, though having been around awhile are beginning to show up more and more in end user specifications, where services in the sensitive temperature range are a concern. Given modern steel making processes few filler metal manufacturers have trouble making the common spec levels, though it is something that often deserves verification. Again, depending upon the service temps and th material involved. It is being used quite commonly for many bainitic and martensitic high temp alloys.
Parent - - By EJSQC Date 03-12-2007 16:51
Thanks for your input.  35 years in this business and I'm still learning.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 03-12-2007 17:23
That's what makes it worthwhile.
Parent - - By GRoberts (***) Date 03-13-2007 00:45
In addition to the previous informative posts, I have had a hard time finding suppliers that will meet X-factor (I have also heard this referred to as "X-Bar" or "X-Bar Factor") in solid wire.  For an earlier project with SAW using ER90S-B3, Bohler Thyssen was the only manufacturer I happened to find that would produce it.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 03-13-2007 14:09
Greg,
Correct me if I'm wrong (its been awhile), but wouldn't it be the case that it is not so much meeting X/J factor, as it is meeting stringent X/J factor specs(althoug I know there are general recommended ranges). Since the allowable factor would be project or customer specific, and some folks really drive it down.
And the fact that some folks just aren't used to declaring X/J factors yet?
What factor levels in specs have you been seeing lately?
Parent - By GRoberts (***) Date 03-15-2007 17:11
I guess I should have specified that the X-factor I was trying to get was 15 max.  The AWS spec A5.23 addresses the X-factor in its own way by setting P, Sn, Sb, and As limits, but not many people are manufacturing it.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-16-2007 14:36
Is this what separates little boys from little girls?

al
Parent - By JA (**) Date 03-18-2007 15:08
you "can't" separate little boys from little girls,,,,,,,,,unless deep inside that "little boy" is really a "little girl".........
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / "X" Factor for low alloy weld consumables