Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / tig welding
- - By Lewis THompson Date 03-11-2007 22:57
PASSED 1G 2G 3G 4G OPEN ROOT IN 1983 ANYWAY CAN SOME ONE TELL ME WHAT IS MENT BY WALKING THE CUP I HAVE WELDED PIPE WITH THE TIG PROCESS AND DO QUITE A LOT OF TIG ALUMINUM WELDIND AS WELL AS FLUS CORE GAS ASSIST ON HEAVY PLATES THANKS
Parent - - By cmays (***) Date 03-12-2007 03:58
Walking the cup would be refering to a method of placing the cup in the groove on an open groove butt weld and stepping back and fourth producing a small weave while giving a constant feed of filler metal at the same time. Its a slow roll of the cup back and forth while progressing up the groove. Its really simple if you could see it done however its tough to explain through writing. It is a technique that takes some time and lots of practice to produce solid results. I take a glass coke bottle and run two lines about 1/4 inch apart around the bottle. Take the torch and walk it up the middle of the two lines keeping the tungsten inside the two lines. Alot of people mess up by forcing the movements. Simply relax and keep a smooth flowing motion. Too much force will cause your cup to slip out of the weld area and not enough force will not give and progression. Its really a technique that takes some practice. Hope this helps.
Parent - - By Lewis THompson Date 03-12-2007 20:14
yes just another name for another movement i have no problim keeping a good key hole and getting full penatration on beveled pipe thanks just never knew it was walking the cup
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 03-12-2007 20:30
GTAW keyholing to me is an unnecessary complication for most alloys. The only time I would recommend it is sometimes with certain high viscosity materials like the Monels (especially if the bevel can't be layed back), or even some Nickel/Chromes, or very low sulpher SS's (these are notoriously inconsistent in penetration), or on repair procedures as such. But you are right, when you keyhole it you can watch the edges consume (though it does work better with smaller torch angles requireing that you lean forward a little more to see-OK on bottoms, a little tougher on top), you don't have to look for subtle puddle characterisitcs to let you know you are penetrating.
Parent - By cmays (***) Date 03-13-2007 03:22
Im sure there are tons of different names for what you described
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 03-12-2007 21:35
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / tig welding