Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / 9 Year CWI recert qualifications Exempt
- - By Mwccwi (***) Date 03-13-2007 13:45
My 9-year re-certification is due in the fall of '08. I've read QC1 2006 and be B5.1 2003 but I'm still unsure of a few things. Recently in Aug. '06 I met the requirements for CWE and was awarded a certificate.

My concern is it is becoming more and more difficult for me to secure sponsorship from my employer and I'm finding it challenging enough to make ends meet without the worry of maintaining my certification credentials.

My question is: is the documented training that I submitted for the CWE eligible to be used as the substituted training for the 80 PDHs and is the info provided for the CWE application complete enough to meet the qualification requirements? If it is I should have 44 PDHs banked.

Also in '02 I took a vendor provided training for Robot Programming 11 - the certificate awarded specifies that I completed 24 hours of training - Is this eligible?

Finally- Are the Lincoln Training seminars and class eligible and does anyone have suggestion for affordable training recommendations to complete my 80-hour requirements?

All feedback would be thankfully recieved

Thanks in advance for the help.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-13-2007 13:48
I will need to renew my 9 yr also, so I'll be watching your replies for my own curiosity. I don't mine retesting, but if I don't have to, I would rather not<big grin>.
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 03-13-2007 14:35 Edited 03-13-2007 14:38
I submitted for nine year based mostly on training I've provided our shop welders.  Believe me, the documentation part is far from a "gimme" and required a lot of careful though and record keeping.  That said, my package flew through, no problem.

With regard to the CWE stuff submitted in 2006, you need to double check QC1 to make sure of the timeframes.  I believe you will find most of the training needs to be within the last 3 years and some may even be required within the last year.  (Sorry, am talking from the top of my head at this point).  Anyway, it worked well for me, even if a lot of effort on my part.

If in doubt, I would contact Terry Perez at Headquarters and ask her.  I "think" the Lincoln training would meet the requirements, but am not certain.
Parent - - By Mwccwi (***) Date 10-09-2008 15:56
jon20013,
Thanks for sharing the Cert. Department contact, also the documentation part was not a simple as one would believe.

I don't actually have the new cert. yet but I did get a auto response that went something  like this....
This is an automatic notification of your CWI certification renewal. A new certificate, wallet card and stamp will follow by mail within 60 days.

Next question, tha past 2 renewal I didn't get a new stamp, why am I getting one this time, is it going to be different?
Parent - - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 10-09-2008 16:38
they said id get a new stamp but did not recieve one
MDK
Parent - - By Duke (***) Date 10-11-2008 22:02
I better get a new stamp, the old one has an expiration date in the stamp.
Parent - By jarcher (**) Date 10-12-2008 01:20
That's easy enough to remedy. I just had one made. In my case not because of 9 year re certification, but because I did not have a lot of confidence in the durability of the model they are shipping out now. I think it cost $24 tax included, and is a much better stamp for desk work, although its not portable. I still keep the "official" one around in case another CWI is curious about the stamp on documentation. (Its a trifle larger than the one AWS sent).
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 10-12-2008 17:02
Duke,
  FWIW the stamps with the expiration dates are the new style. I did not receive a new one when I renewed at three years because at that time they had not yet started to issue the ones with the expiration date. I will be issued a new one at my next renewal though. At least that is what I was told.

jrw159
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / 9 Year CWI recert qualifications Exempt