Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / d1.1 unlimited thickness qualification
- - By hittman375 (*) Date 03-13-2007 14:52
I am a new CWI and need to do my first unlimited thickness test. I looked at the test plate diagram in the book but am not sure I understand how to cut the two side bend coupons. The bend tester that I have will bend 3/8 plate, so then do I cut the test strips at 3/8 so that I can do the side bends? I appreciate any advice.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-13-2007 15:49
Hittman,
Congrats on your new certification;-)

You got it...cut 3/8" thick strips out of your test plate and side bend them.(don't forget to remove the backing)
Parent - - By hittman375 (*) Date 03-13-2007 16:26
Thank you for the information. I just want to make sure that I am doing everything correctly. I am the only CWI here at my work, so I don't have anyone here to ask questions.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-13-2007 16:35
You are not alone...there are many of us in the same boat as you. Just as I was getting my feet wet, my QC manager died...I was left with just the forum to ask questions. It was sink or swim for me, I didn't get to wade in.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-13-2007 17:47
Here is something that I posted awhile back regarding bend tests....

http://www.weldingmag.com/323/Issue/Article/False/13719/Issue

Thank you Willie for reminding me. This may be helpful.
Parent - By webbcity (***) Date 03-13-2007 18:15
john , thats the article i saved it when you posted it before . good to see you back on the forum . we missed you . good luck . willie
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 03-13-2007 17:27
Hello hittman375, as John told you, you will need to end up with 3/8" thick coupons before you do the bend on them, I might add just a few other items to his suggestions. I believe the code that you are testing these to will require you to make your first cut for each coupon 1" in from each end of each plate and then cut the necessary thickness of coupon from that spot. Two coupons from each plate is what you should end up with. If you are using any sort of flame cutting or heat related cutting process to prepare these coupons you will need to allow a bit of additional thickness that can be ground off to get away from having the HAZ that will result from these processes. Also, grind, polish, or sand the surfaces smooth on the coupons in such a manner that all of the grind marks run lengthwise on them. Radius the four corners of each coupon to no more than 1/8" and then bend away. You'll get the hang of doing this and your confidence will also increase over time. Good luck and regards, aevald
Parent - - By webbcity (***) Date 03-13-2007 17:36
hittman375 , e-mail me and i'll send you a page "understanding bend test" it may help . good luck willie
Parent - By hittman375 (*) Date 03-13-2007 21:11
I would like to again say thank you to everyone that posted information on my question. I can't believe the amount of responses that I saw in less than one day. It is great to have all of you to give advice to someone alot less experienced like me.
Parent - - By webbcity (***) Date 03-13-2007 21:13
hittman375 , you have mail . it's the same page that these guys put on here . hope this helps . good luck . willie
Parent - By hittman375 (*) Date 03-13-2007 21:27
Thanks!
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / d1.1 unlimited thickness qualification