Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / THICKNESS REQUIREMENTS
- - By TAMPALUIS (**) Date 03-13-2007 16:05 Edited 03-13-2007 16:13
GOOD DAY

I WANT TO ASK, IF THE REQUIREMENTS (EXPLAIN BELOW) TO WELD 0.063" t BASE METAL, CAN BE USED TO WELD 0.071" t BASE METAL. I HAVE NOT FOUND ANYTHING ABOUT 0.071" THICKNESS WELD REQUIREMENTS, 

FILLER METAL DIAMETER
TUNGSTEN ELECTRODE DIAMETER
AMPERAGE

AND ALSO I HAVE NOT FOUND FILLER MATERIAL AND TUNGSTEN ELEECTRODES WITH THIS DIAMETER.

THE MATERIALS THAT I WILL WELD ARE: AL 6061, TI-6AL-4V, INCONEL 718, SS 17-7PH

THANK YOU, IT IS VERY IMPORTANT FOR ME
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 03-13-2007 16:27
If I understand the question correctly you are asking if the 'parameters' to be used on (essentially) a 1/16" thickness of material can used on a material of 8 thousanths thicker. I would have to say, from a strictly welding process point of view, sure.
Calibration in your welding power source, and any manual manipulation variances are probably greater than any critical difference between those thicknesses.
Just make sure that your WPS's properly accomodate any changes.
6061, Ti-6Al-4V, Inco 718, and 17-7PH?  Interesting place you work.
Parent - - By TAMPALUIS (**) Date 03-13-2007 16:33
THANK YOU, js55.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 03-13-2007 17:35
Uh, calibration in the meters (before I'm taken to task).
Parent - - By TAMPALUIS (**) Date 03-13-2007 19:00
I donĀ“t understand, could you please explain me?

thanks
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 03-13-2007 19:23
Just a joke. Before somebody reminded me. You don't actually calibrate welding power sources.
Parent - By TAMPALUIS (**) Date 03-13-2007 19:37
ok, don't worry. thank very much.
Parent - By Mwccwi (***) Date 03-13-2007 23:17
Quality Requirements For Welding
It is important to ensure that welding is carried out in the most effective way and that
appropriate control is exercised over all aspects of the operation.
Within the ISO 9000 series of standards for quality systems, welding is to be treated as
"special process" since welds cannot be fully verified by subsequent inspection and
testing of the product to ensure that the required quality standards have been meet.
For welded constructions to be effective and free from serious problems in production
and in service, it is necessary to provide controls, from the design phase, through
material selection, into fabrication and into subsequent inspection. If you specify parameters for control the tools to measure such need to be calibrated, most owners manuals for power sources have calibration procedures that utilize a load bank and and procedure to follow.
These comments can be touchy for many as I've learned from reading archieved post here and on other forums.
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 03-14-2007 03:40
If I read your post correctly, and in connection with your other post in regards to quality programs, I am assuming this is on aircraft.
Most aircraft manufactures and refit organizations have specific requirements in their repair manuals. I suggest you go to the manufacture
of whichever craft your working on and get the spec for it.
On another note, you mentioned in another post elsewhere that your work was cargo aircraft, Exactly what kind of "cargo craft" are you working on? If you don't mind my asking? The only other time I've seen those particular materials in one place was on military aircraft?
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-14-2007 08:45

Those materials are common to any Jet engine made in the last 30 years or so.

The difference with military jets is always the afterburner hot sections where you will find hastelloy-X and Waspelloy. However even these superalloys are in regular use in newer commercial jets.

Your also right about accessing the standard practice manuals from the OEM. (this has been mentioned before) Nobody should ever touch a Jet engine componant without repair data supplied from the manufacturer. The OEM class 1 doccuments go into much greater detail than D17.
Parent - - By TAMPALUIS (**) Date 03-14-2007 14:38
thanks, Of course, in the company all the procedures are based on aircraft manual and standars, and they (repair procedures) are always compliant with this. But my question initially was about the welding parameters in a general procedure, e.g. weld in sheet or plate, according to the parameters that I said in the begining of the forum.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-14-2007 16:52
Tam

Your question about filler metal selection for procedure qualification with various exotics.

The standard practice manuals for Pratt, GE, Rolls, Allison, etc. All come with filler wire cross reference charts for engineering selections that take into consideration part service conditions.  Also, The part specific repairs (class 1 doccuments) will prescribe exact fillers for alloys based on part number. This should put you in the ball park for procedure qualification selections.  Just keep in mind that fabrication and repair OEM doccuments may vary on fillers due to cyclic condidions or ability to anneal PH super alloys like inco 718.

Another source of data for procedure qualification filler metal selections is the ASM Metals Handbook Volume 6
http://www.normas.com/ASM/pages/6480.html
This is the richest single book I've seen for welding related metals selections... I think you would find great value in having one.
Parent - By TAMPALUIS (**) Date 03-14-2007 16:56
OK, THANK YOU VERY MUCH
Parent - - By TAMPALUIS (**) Date 03-14-2007 19:00
HELLO, ANOTHER SITUATION ABOUT THAT IS: I HAVE FOUND SUPPLIERS THAT OFFER ME THE FILLER MATERIAL, AND THEY ONLY HAVE SPECIFIC DIMENSIONS FOR THAT, I MEAN, THEY OFFER ME 1/6" DIAM. FILLER METAL, BUT THE FOLLOWING DIMENSION THAT THEY OFFER IS 3/32" DIAM. (IT IS greater than 0.071"), I HAVE NOT FOUND A DIAMETER EQUAL TO 0.071" t. BASE METAL.

THANKS
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-14-2007 19:35
OOOOOh

Now I understand <I think>

Matching Filler to thickness for GTAW........

The 0.063 diameter is just fine for the 0.071 sheet or tube.... I don't think you will find language to forbid that for GTAW.

I'm sorry it took me so long to finally figure out what you were asking.

A good stratety is to have the fillers available that most closely match the size....  Now I know many craftsmen who prefer 0.035 filler when welding Inco 718 in thicknesses up to 0.090, nor would it be all that unusual to see a 1/16 filler used on 0.040 sheet......... On the other hand some prefer to use a larger diameter aluminum filler in order to cool the puddle, so a person welding a 0.063 fillet might very well might select a 3/32 aluminum filler.

Same goes with tungsten electrodes.... A craftsman may select a 0.040 tungsten to weld 0.063 inco 718 or they may choose 1/16.  Or they may use a one 1/16 tungsten to weld 0.040 inco 718.  The best way is usually to select the electrode diameter that is a close match to the sheet thickness, but some discretion may also be given to the craftsmen doing the job.

Semi automatic GTAW is another matter...... If arc voltage control is an adaptive feedback type like Sciaky or Dabber-Tig... Than electrode sizes, tip prep geometry and even electrode vendors may be more tightly controlled.
Parent - By TAMPALUIS (**) Date 03-14-2007 20:58
OH, LET ME SEE IF I UNDERSTOOD.
IT MAINLY DEPENDS OF THE CRAFTSMAN EXPERIENCE OR KNOWLEDGE AND THE WELDING EQUIP SETTINGS. SO THE INDICATED PERSON TO SAY ME WHAT ARE THE PARAMETERS, WOULD BE THE CRAFTSMAN? 

IF UNDERSTOOD, I WANT TO ASH THE FOLLOW, IS THE CRAFTSMAN A WELDER?

THANK YOU, FOR YOUR INFORMATION, I HAVE LEARNED TOO MUCH
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 03-14-2007 19:47
My aircraft experience is dated. Thanks for the updated information
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / THICKNESS REQUIREMENTS