Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Lead Spools On Rig Truck
- - By ZCat (***) Date 03-15-2007 00:40
How do you guys make those fancy spools you don't need a quick connect on the lead? I have some made up with 1-1/2 pipe inside a 2" schedule 80, but I have to disconnect to rollup/out. I tried making the whole unit hot, but that didn't work out so great. :-) Several people got the snot knocked out of them, myself included.
Parent - By Molten Metal (**) Date 03-15-2007 01:00
I am also interesred in this too.I would like to see a good photo/explination as I want to make one as well.
Parent - By tompit9 (***) Date 03-15-2007 06:39
Some one has submitted some pics. on this hook-up. I'll try to find it for you.
Parent - - By tompit9 (***) Date 03-15-2007 07:03
look under shop talk and go to page 8 or the date 01-15-06 time 1:14. The post is under Harvard and titled WELDING REELS???
Banshee has posted pics. of some reels he made and hows he made them. Good Luck
Parent - - By ZCat (***) Date 03-15-2007 23:47
Thanks, tompit.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 03-16-2007 05:14
The part You are asking about is a brush and slip ring, or 2 disks that rub together under spring pressure, one mounted on the frame and hooked to the machine, the other mounted on the reel and hooked to the lead. Copper & brass should work best, they ned to be insulated from the reel and frame, of course.
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 03-17-2007 21:13
I had reels isolated by a wood 2x4. It didi the trick untill the wood rotted out. It's easy to disconnect your hot and ground leads, plus the chances of frying your leads is minimal.
Parent - - By cmays (***) Date 03-19-2007 00:31
I had mine on spools similar to what you said SD and after about a day of solid welding I noticed they were getting really hot. Possible a loose connection or something but I also noticed alot of arc wonder with them on spools rather than rolled up on lead horns. I decided to stick with my lead horns. I never figured out what the deal was but I have heard from several miller and lincoln techs and others that its not good to have them rolled up because it effects the arc characteristics. What do you guys think? I honestly notice a  big difference but never have heard a definite answer.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 03-19-2007 04:41
You esentially made a electromagnets out of the spools [assuming they are steel]. Eddy currents from the magnetic field cause heat, and if You are working at amperage near the capacity of the cables, they will get warm from resistance. With the cables coiled up the heat cannot get away readily, so it builds up. Heat increases the resistance in the cables, and if excesive can increase voltage drop. Inductance in the circut may be increased due to the magnetic field as well. Probably all good reasons to pull the cables out all the way and let them lay on the ground.
Parent - By 357max (***) Date 03-19-2007 14:47
Try Mathey Dearman's rotating "ground" (work) clamps. Isolate and insulate electrode leads from work leads.
Parent - By wywelder (*) Date 03-20-2007 20:36
check these out... we have 2 more models there just not on the website yet. http://atecdiversified.com/page14.html
one model will swivel and the other model is a low profile with the spools running horizantly

these don't list for $530.00 each either!
contact sales@atecdiversified.com
Parent - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 10-15-2007 23:41
call the railroad yard in stillwater oklahoma. ask for jay mixon. he sells a set of insulated spools for 130 bucks each. really nice set up and works great.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Lead Spools On Rig Truck