Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / ASME B31.3 Process Piping Code
- - By jnlusk Date 03-15-2007 18:14
Can anyone offer any guidance on whether AWS D1.1 certification covers the B31.3 code?
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 03-15-2007 18:32
no, it is ASME IX
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 03-15-2007 21:50
The B 31.3 Beta TEst was given.  Please check with Mr. Peter Howe at the AWS Certification Department for information as to when the examination will be available.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 03-16-2007 02:45
Hey Joe! No offense but, I think jnlusk's referring to something other than the CWI exam...
I'm guessing here but, I believe jnlusk's asking whether or not being D1.1 certified is acceptable for welding on work that is covered by ASME section IX - B31.3.

Btw, how are things out there in the Island of Long? I hope everything is well.

Respectfully,
Henry 
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 03-16-2007 10:29
You're Right!

I must have had my head up and locked when I answered that?!?!

Now I am stationed in Lynchburg Virginia inspecting the new World Trade Center column fabrication.  I am also spending some time in Chesapeake Virginia, where I am inspecting Re-Bar assemblies for the JFK Yellow Garage.
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 03-16-2007 21:59 Edited 03-17-2007 00:16
No need to apologize there Joe!
I think we all do that every once in a rare while... After all, the last time I checked we were humans and you know the rest better than myself!

It's real good to read how busy things are for you... I'm glad you're inspecting the columns as a fellow New Yorker! Not to say that anyone else would not be able to do just as good of a job... It's just a local pride type of thing for me to have someone from the "Empire State" doing the inspecting is what I'm proud about and only wish I had the oppportunity to be a part of the ressurection of the NEW WORLD TRADE CENTER!

Joe, I'm going to send you a PM with some questions regarding the NYSCM welding exam and if you have some time to read it and possibly give me an answer at your convenience, I would really appreciate it.
Thanks in advance and give'em hell Joe!

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 03-17-2007 00:12
Lynchburg is a good town. Worked out of there for 3 years.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-17-2007 11:17
Yup, I agree, Lynchburg is a really good town, I've been working out of there since 1965(that would be all of my life, in case you're wondering).... :-)
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 03-19-2007 11:48
It will depend on what was welded, pipe, plate or pipe and plate. B31.3 references section IX which requires initial qualification based on material, welding process, and thickness. Some companies will allow destructive test papers from another company but require an initial test by radiography. 
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / ASME B31.3 Process Piping Code