Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Terrific Tig Tacking Technique
- - By devo (***) Date 03-15-2007 20:20
I'm trying to improve my tacking on aluminum GTAW.  What I want to do is point the tungsten right at the root, establish my puddle in the root, and apply filler.  But what happens is the arc jumps back and forth between the two pieces.  I have been starting my puddle on the bottom piece and trying to push it into the vertical piece, but the results have been disappointing.  When I try to start my puddle on the vertical piece, I usually melt through it before I can get to puddle established on the bottom piece.  I can center the electrode between the two pieces and get it to very quickly jump between the two, but this also gives bad results and I think it is messing up my electrode tip.  Butt joints and shallow angle fillets are no problem, but a current project has me doing fillets with about a 60 degree angle.  Any advice?
Parent - - By 357max (***) Date 03-15-2007 21:18
Break the ball off the end of the tungsten. Sharpen the tungsten with a 1/2-1 1/2 X taper. Weld and radius the end of the tungsten. This radius should be 1/2 the diameter of the tungsten or less. Do Not Use a ball, like a cherry stuck on a toothpick. If the amperage needed for the tungsten melts the tungsten and forms a ball; increase the diameter of tungsten. If the machine is square wave ac weld output; put the balance control at 60% or greater time at negative or max penetration.
Parent - - By cmays (***) Date 03-16-2007 00:35
You can also use ceriated or lanthinated tungsten. These hold the heat much better than pure and like 357max said stick to a bigger tungsten. I will generally use either 1/8 or 5/32 ceriated ground to a point. This will help focus your arc better. If you are still having trouble with lack of heat you might try a helium argon mixture. The helium mixture will give you more heat. I would use this as my last resort though.
Parent - - By devo (***) Date 03-16-2007 13:10
I'm using a Lincoln V-205 inverter with a 3/32" ceriated tungsten sharpened with a radiused tip.  I'm running it at 130 amps on AC 110 hz with 70% EN.  Preflow is  0.5 sec. Argon @ 18cfh  Start current is 90 amps.  Upslope is 0.3 sec.  arc length is 3/32"  downslope is 0.0 sec.   postflow is 14 sec. Torch has #8 cup with gas lens.  ESO is 3/8"  Base metal is .125" 6061-T6.  Filler metal is 3/32" 5356.  Precleaning procedures are abrasive clean and acetone clean for the filler.  Acetone and SS brush for base metal.  I still am getting problems establishing the puddle in the root.  Should I see it form equally on both sides of the joint on a T-joint fillet weld?  Or do I form the puddle briefly on one side of the joint and jump it across the gap? The root opening is .030" or less.  I am even truing up the edge of the tubing to be welded with a vixen file to keep any oil from the bandsaw out of the joint.  Once the bead gets going, it's smooth sailing, but the tacking is giving me and my tungsten some trouble.  The 3/32" ceriated should be an appropriate choice for this process, but you recommend the 1/8 or 5/32?  Are the current ranges recommended by the manufacterer bogus?  Or will the larger diameter compensate for poor technique?
Parent - - By Eutectic (**) Date 03-18-2007 04:12
The only advice I might have is to increase the Hz of you AC wave, this is supposed to concetrate the arc cone to give better arc stability, focus and penetration. the other option is to grind your tungsten to a shapper acute angel, however this wont help much if it keeps balling and spitting. I used Zirconiated and lanthanated Tungsten (3.2mm) on my jobs, 4-18" pipe 10 to 13mm thickness. the only other thing, we used was zero gap. 5083 with 5183 filler.
the starting is usually an issue, just to get that first puddle to form. Just make 100% sure that that starting spot is super clean, especially from surface oxides as this will , as you probably know, inhibit the forming of your pool. I would say start at the thicker section, form the pool and then drag it accros.

good luck, If you can Post some pictures, I always understand better with pictures

and where a dust mask or good ventilation. Al dust and vapours not too good!!
Parent - - By devo (***) Date 03-18-2007 19:28
I've done some more coupons, and the results are much better.  I think it was a combination of dirty base metal and my stickout.  Even though the literature says you can extend your electrode as for as the diameter of the cup, I think on AC and approaching the amperage capacity of the electrode, you run into trouble from resistance heating of the electrode.  Just a hypothesis at this point, but reducing my stickout has largely solved my troubles.  Good advice on the respirator.  At the shop I used to work at, I was the only guy with a respirator.  I don't wear it so much with GTAW, but it is a faithful friend. 
Parent - - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 03-19-2007 13:35
You are on the right track by changing the electrode stick out.  We try to get our guys accustom to using as short as possible without blocking or affecting their sight of the arc and puddle.  Most beginner aluminum tig welders struggle with adequate shielding gas and current on the initial start of the weld, in your case that would be the tacking.
I also think you are right on the high edge of the 3/32 tungsten.  Try going to 1/8 and a bit more current.  It takes 10-20% more current to tack on "cold" aluminum than it does to run the actual weld because of the thermal properties of aluminum.
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 03-20-2007 14:39
I don't know if this was said above, but i am telling ya use a ceriated tungsten with a point.  I know useing a point was said above, but best results with a point are with ceriated (2%ce) tungsten.  Don't point it like you would stainless ,but just a nice steep point.  What i mean by steep is so that the included angle of the 2 sides of the tungsten are at 90deg + or - just use what works for you.  Ceriated is where it's at brotha!!
Parent - - By devo (***) Date 03-20-2007 20:25
I've got a box of .125" ceriated tungsten and collets on the way tomorrow.  As Kix said, I am going to a steeper included angle to get better penetration and longer tungsten life.  Here is another stupid question.  Are the stainless brushes typically used for pre-weld cleaning magnetic?  It's my understanding that MOST stainless steels are nonmagnetic, but some are slightly magnetic.  The brushes that the guy at the weldling supply store sold me are supposed to be stainless, but they are also magnetic.  Could this be another source of clean base metal issues?  I took an old one and left it in the rain for a couple of days and no rust, but the magnetism is still making me doubt the true nature of my brushes.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 03-20-2007 20:44
Hello devo, the magnetism that you have noticed is likely there due to the grade of stainless steel that was used to manufacture the brushes. I believe that 400 series stainless(used in many automotive exhaust systems) as well as some others will exhibit magnetism. Also, if I've got my stainless metallurgy correct, many of the ferritic stainlesses will exhibit magnetic qualities to some degree as well, depending on the amount of ferrite in them. Hope this helps to explain your question somewhat. Regards, aevald
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 03-21-2007 03:12
The  200 & 300 series SS will become somewhat magnetic from work hardening, don't ask Me why. The brushes are 200 or 300 series. The ones I have are somewhat magnetic too.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Terrific Tig Tacking Technique