Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D1.1 pipe welder qualification
- - By Bkpatton Date 03-16-2007 13:04
A 2G on plate qualifies you to weld CJP groove welds in pipe over 24" in diameter for flat and horizontal. Is there anything that addresses pipe smaller than 24" in the flat position and rotated? C4.22 thalks about situations that are not really considered as actual pipe welding but I cannot find anything addressing rotated pipe splices.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-16-2007 13:50
If you have the pipe laying parallel to the ground and you are rolling the pipe as you weld and your welder is remaining on the top side, you are welding within the qualification ranges for 2G. If you look at Figure 4.4(A) it shows a pipe in position and being rotated while welding in the 1G position. Figure 4.6(C) it shows a 2F fillet weld as long as you rotate the pipe while welding. In these Figures, the diameter of the pipe is not important the way I interpet it.
As long as you rotate the pipe fast enough or slow enough for the welder to remain in the positions that he/she is qualified for, I don't see a problem.(Figures 4.1 and 4.2 show the ranges for each position. (0-15+/- degrees for flat or horz)
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 03-19-2007 17:30
is table 4.10 not applicably ?
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-19-2007 20:27
hogan you are right.....if you go by the Table 4.10 and the welder qualified on plate. Regardless of whether I feel the code is right or wrong in this situation, you have to go with what it says. The Note "c" listed in the Pipe welded in production column says nothing under 24", however they did include the 24" dimn in the 2006 revision which was a step in the right direction.

Like I said earlier, I don't see any difference in welding a 1G on plate vs welding a 1G rotated pipe as long as you stay on the upper most portion of the pipe while welding(+/- 15* from parallel to the ground) like Figure 4.4(A) shows, but they stuck Note "c" in Table 4.10 which says even that is a no-no.
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 03-19-2007 20:47
i agree that there is not a significant difference. i was just wondering if i was misinterpreting something.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D1.1 pipe welder qualification