Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Bag of Tools?
- - By SuperheroR08 Date 03-16-2007 16:34
I'm a second year welding student and i love it i wanna do it for the rest of my life. I can not see myself in no other job beside in a welding shop or a shipyard. To the point i am going after a apprenticeship at a shipyard to start me off in my career. I want to work as a full time t.i.g welder i enjoy t.i.g welding the most so why not do what you love? And i am wondering What are some good tools to start picking up I got my auto darking mask, and a chipping hammer, wire brush, gloves, jacket, safety glasses, hard hat. I have been told that the shipyard lets you use there tools and what not but i like having my own stuff what are some other helpful tools i can look into getting? My teacher showed us a needle gun today that was fun =) Thanks for any help.
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 03-16-2007 18:24
I recommend that after school, you seek out a job in a decent looking shop as a pipe fitters tacker/helper, and learn how to both fit and weld.
This will help you understand how the piping systems actually work and will help you break out into the welding field. It's better than college because you're getting paid to learn.
My definition of a combination welder is a hand that can fit and weld his own fits. This is the kind of hand that can be sent on a job by himself, and get it done. This is the kind of hand that never has trouble finding work, makes top pay and always gets the sweet jobs. That's becasue he's a valuable asset to any employer.
Check out the web site:

http://www.pipefitter.com/pfind.html

There you can get both the books that you will need after school, Such as the ones by W.V. Graves,
and the tools you'll require. I would start with collecting Curv-O-Mark tools. I still have the ones that I originally bought in 1992 and use them often, even though I'm no longer working with much pipe.

Good Luck,
Tim
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 03-17-2007 03:09
Needle scalers are nice, but You shouldn't need one for TIG welding. You should have some basic measuring and layout tools. Angle grinders come in handy, 4 1/2" are easy to handle, and the 7-9" units really get some work done. Apprenticeship in a shipyard sounds like a good idea to Me, I would expect You to learn layout and fitting as part of the training. There is "Book Learning" involved with a formal apprenticeship, the theory behind what You are actually doing, this is important too. There is a lot going on in a shipyard besides welding, You will be exposed to many trades, perhaps one You like even more, and that is a good place to learn any of them.
Parent - By PhilThomas (**) Date 03-17-2007 04:15
Once you become proficient in welding, you will probably want to move on to other areas which may includ inspection.  It would be a good investment to have some of these gages:

http://www.galgage.com/measuring_gauges.html

In many contemporary companies, the "welder welds, and inspector inspects" model is being replaced with "you welded it....you inspect it."  Having the tools to do those inspections would be invaluable to your career...as would a CWI class :)

HTH
Parent - - By scrappywelds (***) Date 03-17-2007 05:08
well for starters you need a good pair of wire cutters(kliens) 9" preferably, a couple of adjustable wrenches, rod bag, ball pein hammer, a tungsten holder, a couple files, hex key set, a couple screwdrivers (slotted and philliphs), inspection mirrors, and a tape measure. That should get ya right on your way.
Parent - By tsalagi (*) Date 03-17-2007 12:47
i have a tackle box for my tig stuff. like different size cups, gas lenses, collets, heatshields, ect.
i figure that if you are a second year student then you know what tools you use the most. i agree with scrappywelds list, except i would add a combination square, flaslight, and a 4 1/2" grinder. you will accumulate stuff along the way, after about a year on the job, you will have more than what you need to do the job.
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 03-17-2007 15:28
One thing I find most welders overlook purchasing is a set welding gauges (fillet gauges, hi-lo, undercut, etc).  I think, in most cases, welders should know how their welds measure up before they move on to the next weld.

(sorry Phil, I read ahead and didn't notice you said the same thing)
Parent - By PhilThomas (**) Date 03-17-2007 22:28
<chuckle>

Glad I'm not the only one that does that......
Parent - By SuperheroR08 Date 03-18-2007 05:44
Thanks for the info guys my teacher wont ever give me any advice like this. He just says GET BACK IN YOUR BOOTH!!! =)
Parent - By jneilson (*) Date 03-21-2007 20:46
You should get a good tape measure, square, level, 2 lb hammer, wire cutters and extra lenses for your mask.
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 03-22-2007 04:30
I'd feel kind of naked without my swiss army knife.
Bill
Parent - By makeithot (***) Date 03-22-2007 05:29
A leatherman is also a great tool to own as has a great file for tip cleaning as well as a array of other tools that fix grinders etc. the only thing I whish it had that it doesn't is robson screw driver instead of all those flat heads.
Parent - By gmnidrgn17 Date 03-25-2007 04:21
Just a thought. Be careful in your career choice because of the monotony.  You may get bored in the shipyard if you are hood down day after day.  I burned out on draglines because it was the exact same scenario day in and day out. I have been a little of everything in the past 8 years, ironworker:connector, structural welder, rigger, milwright (not precision setting, just preliminary setting of pumps and equipment), pipewelder, and beginning pipefittter.  Problem is, I was just called by the boilermakers and since none of my previous exp was with a union, I don't think I can transfer any of it over. Anyhow, welding is a great career because if you are good and know what you are doing, work is almost always there. Just keep your options open.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Bag of Tools?