Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Shield gas questions on 110v Mig welder
- - By jason280 (*) Date 03-17-2007 20:18
I recently picked up a new Lincoln Handy Mig 110v wire feed welder.  Its not a real heavy duty unit, and maxes out around 88-90 amps.  I came across an excellent deal on a 20ft^3 tank for my shielding gas, and figured it would go well with the small mig so I picked it up as well.  Most of my experience is with arc and flux core machines, so I am quite unfamiliar with using shielding gas.  So, here are my questions.  Using .025-.030" solid wire, what would be a good starting setting for my regulator with a 75/25 mix?  Given this setting, how much wire can I expect to go through before the cylinder will require refilling?  Also, if I plan on welding only mild steel with this unit, should I go with 100% CO2 as my shielding gas, or is it better to stick with the 75/25 mix? 

Thanks!
Parent - - By yorkiepap (***) Date 03-18-2007 02:05
Hey jason280,
If you are going to weld with solid wire & gas, your best option is C-25(75Ar/25CO2). I use both C-10 & C-25 depending on material. C-25 is best for light sheet-metal thru 3/16" and C-10 for heavier thicknesses and stainless steel. I keep my regulators set on 12-16CFH when welding indoors, and kick it up a bit to 18-22 if outside and a bit higher if its windy. If your indication of the tank you may get is 20CF, that will last maybe (1) 2lb spool of wire if welding indoors at 12-16CFH. You would be much better off going to 40CF or even 80CF as the ratio of wire usage really increases, and it's more economical when refilling. Hope that helps a bit....good luck....Denny
Parent - By jason280 (*) Date 03-19-2007 18:43
Thanks for the info.  I would have preferred a larger tank, but I couldn't pass on the deal I got on the 20ft^3 tank. 
Parent - - By Northweldor (***) Date 03-20-2007 11:47
Denny:
Don't want to side track the thread, but I am always wondering about using C25 on light sheet metal, when C10-C15 should provide less pen. (and less burn through by unskilled operators). In my area, C10 is considered a specialty gas, and is only available in full-size cylinders, so I actually haven't had the chance to compare in practical situations. Apparently, you have both, and have decided that C10 is better on heavier material. Could you explain why, as I am advising a local car restoration group, and don't want to give them misguided info. based only on theory.
Parent - By reddoggoose (**) Date 03-20-2007 13:13
Northweldor,

Both CO2 and C25 can easily be used for welding carbon steels. 100% CO2 is cheap but does not give as nice of an arc. Of the two I prefer the C25 due to the cleaner looking arc and less spatter. As shielding gases become higher in argon percentage the penetration profiles begin to change. As more argon is added, the pen profile becomes wider and shallower, however, this is when all parameter variables are held constant in a short circuit transfer. C10 and C15 become used more commonly when guys are looking to move from a short circuit to a spray transfer. Large amounts of CO2 make attaining a spray transfer difficult if not impossible due to the ionization potential of the gas. You can still use short circuit with a C10, but it is more expensive than using  a C25 and you are really not gaining much, until you change to a spray.

When welding with a spray tranfer you are able to get deeper penetration than you can by short circuiting even though you are using argon rich gas. To weld in a spray transfer you must have enough amperage (wire feed speed) and voltage. For example, a good starting place to reach this tranfer for an .035 70S-6 wire using C10 would be about 26V and 450 IPM wire speed. This tranfer give good penetration and control with very low spatter, higher travel speeds, and very low cleanup. The down side is spray is not very suitable for sheet metal becase  the high amperage will cause burn through, and you are restricted to the flat and horizontal position, because the amps are so high the puddle will not freeze fast enough and will run out of the joint when welding on thicker material. If you looking to weld sheet metal I would recommend using the C25 at about 30CFH in a short circuit tranfer.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 03-20-2007 13:22 Edited 03-20-2007 14:32
Hello Northweldor, as you increase the argon content in a gas mixture you improve the conductivity of the arc. Thus in simple terms the C10 gas operates "hotter" than the C25 does. As you said, you haven't had an opportunity yourself to make this comparison. As an experiment once, I set-up a manifold of shielding gases on a GMAW machine and started out the first weld using 100% CO2, with this gas on the machine I set the voltage and wirespeed to make a reasonable looking bead. Without changing any of the machine settings I switched the gases, using 75/25, 85/15, 90/10, and finally 98/2(I should add, the 2 in this case refers to oxygen), in each instance as the gas was changed to the next higher concentration of argon there was a slight increase in the voltage and amperage that were being put out by the power source.
     CO2 does have some unique characteristics as a shielding gas when compared to the mixed gases, at lower volt/amp settings the gas has a cooling effect and can be quite useful for aiding in controlling burn through, at higher volt/amp settings it can actually promote good penetration. The issues with 100% CO2 are usually associated with a considerable amount of spatter, more so from the transfer mode, globular transfer, when the volt/amps are elevated. Hope this helps out a bit, Denny had a good suggestion for you, particularly since he has a considerable amount of experience with the 110v machines. Good luck and regards, aevald
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 03-20-2007 13:44
If I may add, I believe you'll find that the penetration profiles of the differing gases is related more to mass differences and the differences in ionization characteristics. The Argon developes a more narrow restricted arc column as opposed to CO2 mixtures. The penetration pattern of higher Argon mixtures will develope a 'fingered' profile, concentrating energy in the very center of the puddle pattern. As CO2 is added the fingering will begin to draw back spreading the energy pattern. He acts similarly, dispersing mass, although because of its ionization characterisitics it tends to destabilize the arc.
Parent - - By yorkiepap (***) Date 03-20-2007 17:43
Hey Northwelder,
You have not sidetracked this thread at all....all questions deserve a fair answer regarding individual selections of welding parameters. reddoggoose and aevald really summed it quite nicely and with all the classic car restoration I've been doing, I really found favor with C-25. I always meticulously do sample welds on the auto metal the customers provide and auto sheetmetal is like paper...wow..it's thin. In addition, I have fabricated some neat backing material with aluminum so as to avoid burn-thru. The floorpans and trunk pans have come out remarkably nice with little grinding needing done by the owners of these classics. My Miller Sidekick 90A 110V unit is such a sweet welder for the sheetmetal and I have a new Riland ML250 spoolgun MIG that I recently got to have the availability to quick-change spools on the heavier metalwork. I do experiment at times, but once I find a method that works, I don't vary unless there's an exception. If you are doing auto work... floorpans...trunk pans...fender wells...kick panels... I recommend to stay with C-25 personally. Of course, you should try anything you feel is a necessity and always on scrap first to validate your preferences....Denny
Parent - By jason280 (*) Date 03-20-2007 22:41
Thanks for the information!  I think I am going to stick with a 75/25 mixture for now, but I am going to keep an eye open for a larger tank.  One of the local shops quoted me $35 to fill a 20ft tank, and only $45 to fill a large one!
Parent - By Northweldor (***) Date 03-23-2007 11:54
Thanks to all for the detailed information above, and I will print out this thread for our club members who want full details. Also, thanks to Denny for confirming that C- 25 will do the job practically, rather than switching to a 7% CO2 blend (as recommended by the local supplier) at a much higher price. (I think Ed Craig would be also be happy that we are not buying gas blend hype!)
Parent - - By 357max (***) Date 03-23-2007 14:50
ICAR auto body repair recognizes only 75% Argon 25% CO2 for body repairs. Excellent sheet metal gas, CO2 is excellent for hot rolled (mill scale) steel. Gas flow rate should be 15-20 cfh. To set the machine for minimum spatter, 1. Start with a low voltage setting then set the wire feed speed for the amperage/penetration needed. Then, 2. adjust the voltage, start low (where it pounds the plate) and increase to desired arc length.
The voltage can be checked while welding with a DC voltmeter, with CO2 it should be 18 to 20 volts. With 75/25 it should be 16 to 18 volts. Same amperage just an increase or decrease in voltage.
FYI be careful of flux cored wires, the ExxT-GS classification is a single-pass electrode. Don't weld multiple passes on a weld joint.
Parent - By GQ COWBOY (*) Date 04-02-2007 20:02
I never used gas with my 110 unit... it worked fine..... from gates, to horse lean too shelters.......
I just finish a out of town job using my 110 unit at an hotel putting expaned metal on the stairs...what a job......
no problems at all....
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Shield gas questions on 110v Mig welder