Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / need help sae 200
- - By darren (***) Date 03-20-2007 10:42
My sae 200 73 model was running fine and then it wouldn't start has spark put in new plugs but still no go. not even a hint of wanting to start. tried ether and still no go. drained carb and there was a lot of tool marks on drain plug which leads me to believe that the carb has been a problem to the last owner, just got her last year and she has always started before. could it be the fact she has old gas from last year, or that muffler was open to the sky for a couple of snowfalls or well i've seen some of the responses and there are guys out there who know more about these old lincoln's than i could ever know so any knowledgeable help would be greatly appreciated. would consider buying a new carb or rebuilt one that has been rebuilt by someone who knows
thanks
darren
if pics or other info are necessary then let me know
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 03-20-2007 14:33
If you have spark and fuel (you said you tried ether) all you need is compression and correct timimg for the spark. If you fear water has gotten in the cylinders lets hope you dont' have compression. Take care not to over do the ether.

Have you spun it over with all the plugs removed? You can put your thumb over the plug holes to get a feel for compression. Check for a good fire while you are at it (connect the plug wire to a plug and ground it). The spark should be blue and happen when it pushes your thumb out of the hole.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 03-20-2007 14:58
Hello darren, your description of the circumstances concerning weather and the fact that you may have old gas in the machine would certainly suggest that it could be a combination of bad fuel and possibly stuck rings from the water getting into the cylinders from the uncovered exhaust pipe. As RonG suggested, you should probably take a look at the compression, the quick check would be to put your finger over the spark plug hole and spin it over to see if it will pop your finger out of the way. After that you may want to hook up a compression tester. 120 to 130 psi. would be on the low end of what will generally allow the motor to run, 150 to somewhere around 170 psi. would be better. If you find that the compression is low, squirt some WD40 or Aerokroil penetrating oil into the cylinders and let that set for a while. Spin the motor over after letting that set with the plugs out to get rid of any excess penetrating oil and then re-check the compression. If it's still low you might need to remove the valve cover and take a look at the valves to make sure that none of them are stuck. If it appears as if one is stuck, rotate the motor over so that the cylinder position is such that the valves would be on compression, take up the slack on the rocker arm and lightly tap on the top of the rocker over the valve with a soft-face deadblow type hammer. If it isn't stuck too tightly this will jar it loose. One other note on compression, generally there is an allowance of between 15 to 20 psi. difference in compression between all of the cylinders. If there is a greater difference on a motor, that might suggest time for looking at doing some service work. Certainly change out the gas so that you're sure that you're not fighting that. Good luck and let us know how it comes out.
Parent - - By npartin Date 03-20-2007 23:26
150-170PSI  is WAY To high for an L head and will destory the engine from detonation... 120 is about normal  and gasoline engines will run to a minimum of 85 PSI   but will be WEAK at that low of compression numbers...   the SA 200 I tested yesterday was 130PSI
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 03-20-2007 23:31
Hello npartin, I stand corrected, THANK YOU! I answered off the top of my head and the main thing I was driving at was for him to check for stuck rings or valves. Once again thanks for the clarification. Regards, aevald.
Parent - - By darren (***) Date 03-21-2007 20:32
will get on it this weekend , thanks for your input so far.
darren
Parent - By wywelder (*) Date 03-21-2007 23:08
I had a float stick one time, just a thought.

David
http://atecdiversified.com/page19.html
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 03-22-2007 04:32
First get it to make sparks.
Bill
Parent - - By darren (***) Date 03-27-2007 03:12
used a heep of ether and it fired but would  not stay lit, used good gas, so im gonna have to address the carb. thanks for all you input. does any one out there know of  a place to buy a new, not rebuilt, carb. and much to my embarrassment it is a sa-200 not an sae -200 thank you for not pointing out my stupidity on that topic you aficionados out there. next time ill look at the face plate.
darren
Parent - By PlanB (*) Date 03-27-2007 13:32
weldmart.com has replacement carbs. If you are near a NAPA auto parts, 2-1401 is the part number for the rebuild kit, if its a Marvel type. Dont know the # for the Zenith. Put an extra inline fuel filter on it, it will save headaches later. Troy
Parent - - By gtrman Date 04-14-2007 03:31
Sounds like someone turned off the fuel petcock.   Happened to me once.
Parent - By darren (***) Date 04-16-2007 05:26
it turned out to be bad fuel that had gelled in carb runs like the dream now just like before. thanks for all your help people
darren
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / need help sae 200