Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / I met one of the forum members yesterday :-)
- - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-20-2007 12:51
I met Joe Kane yesterday, very nice guy. I haven't met very many of the members in person, so this was a real treat for me. Within a few minutes of conversation I could tell this guy is very knowledgeable, and I wish I could have had more time to soak up more information. Joe seems to be very well rounded as an inspector, and I gained a lot of respect for what he has learned over the years. I'm sure that he has forgotten more than I will probably ever know in my lifetime.

Sometimes being stuck in a shop (like I have been for 22 yrs) that does basically the same thing day in and day out really limits your exposure to the various fields of welding, so I sorta regret not having more experience with other codes and welding processes. I can tell that Joe has seen alot through the years, and the knowledge that he has when he speaks about the subjects really shows.

Joe if you read this, I just wanted to say "thanks" for sharing your pictures and stories with me. I really enjoyed the fellowship and the meal.
Parent - - By yorkiepap (***) Date 03-20-2007 18:01
Hey John,
Thanks for sharing your encounter with Joe Kane. I've had that experience, only twice in my life, to encounter someone not known, other than mail contact, and it has been an enlightening and wonderful introduction and communication. Come on, John.....get out of the shop more frequently.....Denny
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 03-21-2007 01:49
Hello Denny and John, similarly, I met Chuck Meadows awhile back at a seminar that he was giving at the east end of the state that I live in. I too would have certainly enjoyed picking his brain in a more one on one fashion and for a longer length of time as I can appreciate the wealth of knowledge that he posseses on many topics that I am very limited on. Fortunately, we have the forum here to do some of the same. Be Well gentlemen. Regards, Allan
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 03-21-2007 15:35
Ditto.
I have met with Chuck twice. I would like to express my appreciation for his willingness to share his knowledge and experience and let every one who reads this know what a great person he is.
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 03-22-2007 23:36
You guys could meet me, but you probably would just think, "what an arrogant **@#$%^&*!!"

No, I really should say this: A lot of times I have gotten on this site to vent. Many people probably think I am arrogant. Everything I know I learned from the guys that have been troubleshooting for 30+ years. I respect them, and owe them for the knowlege that I gain from their experience. If I ever meet any of you, you will see that I am a very humble person at heart. Man, I almost broke down just then - lol...Sourpuss
Parent - By Shane Feder (****) Date 03-23-2007 02:08
Hello guys,
Recently posted some concerns regarding a project I am working on on the forum.
Due to the sensitive nature of the concerns I also posted private emails to Jon,Charles and Al. Jon forwarded them on to Walt Sperko and next thing I had four excellent (and helpful) responses coming back to me. Sent another to a piping engineer friend of mine in Australia who in turn forwarded them to two friends who are Welding Engineers in South Africa and Scotland and next thing I have got another three excellent responses.
Quite amazing the amount of knowledge that is out there that is willingly shared at a moments notice.
To those who have helped me in the past and those who will help me in the future (even though I may never actually meet you) I offer a sincere thank you.
And Sourdough, we may have had disagreements in the past but I would have no problem sharing a drink or two with you if I ever found myself in your neck of the woods.
Regards,
Shane
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 03-23-2007 10:25
Thanks John.  However, calling me a "nice guy", you'll ruin my reputation! I read this on Wednesday, after Al Moore knew about our meeting.
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 04-07-2007 01:19
Actually, I have to agree with John's comments about Joe.

And I apologize for responding late to this, I've been working out of state a lot lately and usually only have a few minutes of free time here and there.  The forum helps me to keep things in perspective.  I have seen a number of posts I would have responded to but didn't have the time to do any justice.

Anyway, Joe is a unique individual.  He comes across as gruff at first but then you realize that he is "hard-wired" for black & white, and that any disagreements are not personal affronts on his part.  After a while, you can see that he not only understands the "shades of gray" but is also very willing to offer helpful suggestions.
Some of you may remember that Joe authored an article in a recent "Inspection Trends" the addressed the importance of an inspector's integrity.  I have that somewhere but can't put my hands on it to say which issue it was.  For any who may have set their copy aside, intending to read it later (as I often do), you will find it an interesting read.
Parent - - By ross (***) Date 04-07-2007 05:48
Good article, indeed. It's online at http://www.aws.org/itrends/2006/04/it200604/it200604-11.pdf

Ross
AWS Marketing
Parent - By HgTX (***) Date 04-16-2007 20:54
Thanks for the link!

(now I can justify, if anyone asks, a professional basis for why I poke my nose into the "off-topic" forum...never know what great work-related stuff will be here)

Hg
Parent - - By Fredspoppy (**) Date 04-17-2007 12:14
If it is the Joe Kane in the NYC area, I just have one question....does he still wear the big suspenders?  Met him at LI AWS during a short stint at Target Rock.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-17-2007 12:26
Yup, measuring suspenders to be exact.
Parent - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 04-17-2007 14:51
Yes, I still wear those ruler suspenders.  I need them to hold up my pants.  Initially, I bought them because the teeth on the clasps were not too sharp and didn't cut into my pants and ruin them.  Later, I bought them by the dozen.  The only other pair that had the same clasp  were the "Road Kill" brand, featuring a dead skunk.  Since I am an inspector and measure things, I thought the ruler would be the better choice. 

However, if you are young and handsome, and want to meet the girls, you should wear these suspenders! Those suspenders are better than a puppy dog.  When I am about town or in some large stores, at least two complete strangers (mostly women, of all ages,) come up to me and start a conversation about these suspenders.  Now, just imagine a person who looks like me going up to women on the street and trying to strike up a conversation.  I would probably be accosted by the boys in blue for it in short order.

Incidently, these are called "Liars Brand" suspenders.  (I guess because you would be stretching the truth if you used them for measuring.)  I think that some of the fabricators I inspect have workers that use them in real life fabrication!
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / I met one of the forum members yesterday :-)