Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / painting a helmet?
- - By Surferdude (*) Date 03-21-2007 23:05
hi, i was thinking about painting a welding helmet myself for the first time. I was wondering if anyone knew what kind of paint is good for it (ill be using an airbrush for a lot of it.)
Parent - By scrappywelds (***) Date 03-21-2007 23:46
for a good paint job i'd use automotive paint, but i've used any cheap spray paint before. Just make sure it is sanded good and primer it first.
Parent - - By yorkiepap (***) Date 03-22-2007 00:57
Hey Surferdude,
I will agree with scrappywelds regarding the use of automotive paint. I would add that you would be best served using the paint that is used on the ugly plastic/poly bumpers on most cars today. Also, best results would come from a primer for plastic, and a light coat of clear as a finish. Since you have airbrush equipment, it should be a breeze....Good luck....let us know how your results come out....Denny
Parent - - By Surferdude (*) Date 03-22-2007 22:34
alright thanx you guys, it might take me a while thoguh to get the stuff liek a new helmet though that and i have to wait for the weather to get better so i can paint, but thanks for the tips :)
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 03-25-2007 14:01
A friend of mine painted his truck the other day. The automotive paint cost him about $400 per gallon.
That stuff is worth it's weight in gold!
I would do a test run with cheap epoxy first.
I'll bet it's all you need.

Tim
Parent - By Surferdude (*) Date 03-25-2007 23:01
alright thnks, ya that stuff is expensive but one of my friends fathers paints cars for a job so i could work it out
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 03-22-2007 22:58
I painted mine with oilfield company stickers. lol.
Parent - By scrappywelds (***) Date 03-23-2007 01:24
Mine is the sticker, smoke, and molten boiler tube spatter . Looks very vintage lol
Parent - By ZCat (***) Date 03-25-2007 23:34
This guy on the LNG job had a lot of nice stickers on his hood. One rainy, damp morning he put his hood inside the 18" pipe to keep dry The fitter came along with the weed burner to heat up the fit and somehow he managed to burn off half the dude's stickers. The poor guy was just heartbroken! :-)
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / painting a helmet?