Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Shield gas tubing for Mig welder
- - By jason280 (*) Date 03-22-2007 00:51
I have my shield gas bottle and regulator ready to hook up to my Mig welder, except I don't have any tubing.  Can I use most any type of rubber tubing, or do I need something specific?  I don't think there will be much pressure through the tubing, but I don't want any leaks.  It appears that my Mig welder and regulator is set up for 1/4" ID tubing, and I have some extra tubing laying around from a previous project.  As long as it fits tightly, am I good to do or do I need something else?
Parent - - By yorkiepap (***) Date 03-22-2007 01:44
Hey jason,
Take your regulator to any hardware store, and just get the proper size plastic tubing to fit the output fitting and be sure to get a couple small hose clamps to fit the tubing. Rubber tubing has tendency to dry rot and crack with age, so just get the plastic since its quite inexpensive and will last longer....Denny
Parent - - By Molten Metal (**) Date 03-22-2007 01:49
Tygon clear tubing is what I'm using and I got it at Lowes.Dirt cheap and I've had it now for about 4 years with no problems....
Parent - - By jason280 (*) Date 03-22-2007 18:27
Has anyone tried using plastic pull ties instead of hose clamps, maybe a couple on each end?
Parent - By 357max (***) Date 03-22-2007 19:32
Don't mess around/don't be cheap with gas fittings and hoses. Use the Compressed Gas Association (CGA) recommended fittings and hoses. Gases used in the welding application can be flammable (acetylene/propane), accelerants (oxygen) or asphyxiants (shielding gases like argon, CO2 or helium). In MIG/TIG systems the gases are asphyxiants. They are to displace oxygen and nitrogen (air) from the welding area. The nature of asphyxiants is if the concentration of shielding gas is high enough, the gas causes the oxygen to no longer support life. Asphyxiation causes unconsciousness and death without warning.
If a picture is needed, visit a poultry farm when they have a disease kill. They back up a CO2 truck, seal the house and than flood the houses with gas, not a bird left alive. We would rather be over the hill than under the hill. Be safe out there.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Shield gas tubing for Mig welder