Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Confirmation of D1.2 visual Inspection
- - By Mwccwi (***) Date 03-28-2007 21:27
I have old notes for the visual inspection criteria for aluminum welds. can anyone confirm that these are correct to the current D1.2? Thanks in advance for any help.
9.7 Quality of Welds -9.7.1 Visual Inspection. All welds shall be visually inspected. The visual acceptance criteria shall be as follows:
(1) The weld shall have no surface cracks.
(2) Incomplete fusion existing between adjacent layers of weld metal, and between weld metal and base metal not to exceed 10% of the material thickness, or .05 in., whichever is less to a length not to exceed
5T.
(3) All craters are filled in accordance with 4.8.
(4) Weld profiles are in accordance with 3.5.
(5) Except as provided herein, undercut shall not exceed the values shown in Figure 8.1 for an accumulated length of 2 in. in any 12 in. length of weld. For weld lengths less than 12 in., the permitted length shall be
proportional to the actual length. (6) A fillet weld in any single continuous weld may be less than the nominal fillet weld size required by 1/16 in. without correction, provided that the undersized portion of the
weld does not exceed 10% of the length of the weld..
(7) Porosity open to the surface shall not have sharp tails. Porosity shall be limited to 13 pores in 1 sq. in. of weld face, of which no more than 4 pores shall be between .032 in. and .094 in. in diameter, and no pore
shallexceed .095 in. in diameter. Total porosity in 10 sq. in. of weld face shall not exceed 30 pores, .094 in. in diameter or less.
(8) Overlap shall not exceed 1T in any 12 in. of weld length, except imperfection shall be removed if they exhibit sharp radii, or sharp terminations that are crack-like; if the depression is not larger than permitted, they need not be rewelded. For welds less than 12 in., the permitted length shall be proportional to the actual length.
(9) Melting of corners shall not be considered undercut, and shall not exceed .2T or .125 inch, whichever is less. Melting of edges on lap joints shall not be considered undercut. Welds shall meet minimum size.
(10) Mismatch shall not exceed .180 in., or .1T, whichever is less.
(11) Melt-through shall not be rejectable, so long as the melt-through does not interfere with the fit or performance of a mating part.
(12) Burn-through is not acceptable, and must be repaired.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-28-2007 22:13
You have mail

:)
Parent - - By Mwccwi (***) Date 03-28-2007 23:16
Thanks Lawrence,
I too found the verbiage you sent in qualifications- what I'm questioning is in workmanship- would you check please
Thanks
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-28-2007 23:54
Was I looking in the wrong section?????  

sheesh... sorry

Will check at the office tomorrow.

My 2003 copy doesn't even have a chapter 9 so I hope I can figure it out   :)
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Confirmation of D1.2 visual Inspection