Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / hold points............
- - By JA (**) Date 03-29-2007 12:28
what does it mean to establish "hold points".......
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-29-2007 12:54
When I was a detailer, back in the day, I used to put "hold dimns" or "keep dimns" on the drawing, these were usually the critical dimns that had to be maintained and some of the other dimns shown were not as important and could vary to some degree.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 03-29-2007 13:52
Hold points are requirements wherein the fabrication or manufacturing process needs to be stopped in order that another specific process can take place at that specific point. Usually some form of inspection or verification, such as hold points to verify proper fit up, hold points for progressive MT, hold points for preheat verification, etc.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-29-2007 14:01
You're right, I must have had my head up my butt when I read the question the first time...LOL
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 03-29-2007 15:47
That's never happened to me.  Ha!!!
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 03-29-2007 20:44
Hi guys,
Not sure what system you use in the US but "down under" we use ITPs (Inspection and Test Plans)
This details all the steps in the process of fabricating something from material receipt to final painting.
This document is completed by the contractor and submitted to the client for review and approval. The contractor will determine how they rate each step in the process and in the column headed contractor they will put a letter beside each step W = Witness, R = Review, S = Surveillance and H = Hold. The client will then decide which steps they want to witness, which documents they want to review, whether random surveillance is sufficient, and finally hold points where work must not proceed without client authorisation. The client then puts the relevant letters in the clients column and these steps are signed off as the job progresses.
The client and the contractor can both have their own hold points that must be signed off before work can proceed.
Hope that helps,
Regards,
Shane
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 03-29-2007 20:55
Shane,
ITP's are common here.
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 03-29-2007 21:59
Those are common here Shane. Adhering to them, that's another story.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / hold points............