Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Controlable documents
- - By TAMPALUIS (**) Date 03-30-2007 18:58
Hello,

I am developing  project about welding certification in aircraft application, I am working with D17.1 code. I want to know if this code is a controlable document, I mean, the quality assurance area of the company have to review all the time the certification and its validity, then they need to know if the code is reviewed constantly or if it will never be reviewed?

thank you
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-31-2007 16:33
AWS D17.1 is an ANSI/AWS welding standard, as such it is reviewed, revised, or reaffirmed in accordance with ANSI requirements.

Most contracts will specify the edition of the standard that is applicable. In some cases they simply state that the "latest" edition (of the standard) is applicable.

It sounds like you work for a company that does subcontracts welding, as such, you may be involved with several welding standards at any given time. Most of the big players, i.e., Boeing, Rolls-Royce, GE, Pratt & Whitney,  have their own welding standards that are applicable when you subcontract for them. You may also have to be NADCAP approved as a prerequisite before they will consider you for subcontracted work. Each company has their own quality control requirements and while they may be similar, there are differences your company has to be aware of.

The bottom line is that your company will have to review various standards [material specs, welding specs, finishing specs, welding symbols (not all companies use the same ones)] all the time, its a never ending job.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Controlable documents