Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / TUNGTEN ELECTRODE
- - By NEWBIE Date 04-01-2007 06:22
Just want to know where I can buy a 2.5mm Tungsten Electrode 2%, Thoriated Tungsten. I need 2.5mm exactly and not the 3/32 DIA.
Parent - - By chuck meadows (***) Date 04-01-2007 13:04
I thought 2.5mm was a 3/32" diameter.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 04-01-2007 19:55
Hey Chuck!

Actually, 3/32" = 2.38125 mm's...

I do'nt know who sells 2.5mm 2% thoriated 'Wolfie's" NEWBIE but if you do a google search under "Tungsten electrode suppliers" you should be able to at the very least, narrow your search a bit...
Good luck and let us know how you make out.

I'm curious, are you using a GTAW torch that was manufactured in metric dimensions, and the collet & collet bodies are metric and of a different configuration so that an equivalent US standard design could not be substituted?? Is the 3/32 tungsten loose in the torch even after the torch cap has been tightened?

It would be interesting to see if indeed this is the case.

Respectfully,
Henry

Parent - - By chuck meadows (***) Date 04-02-2007 00:52
Thanks, Henry...I knew I should have kept my mouth shut....
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 04-02-2007 03:27
On the CONTRARY Chuck!

You have helped me get a better understanding with respect to stainless steels than any book could have!

The only reason I was able to know that 2.5 mms' is'nt exactly(although very close!) 3/32" is because I've welded/fabricated to many, and I mean many drawings which either had dual dimensioning or just metric dims that I can think in my head both in US standard or metric - that's all. Oh yeah I almost forgot, I teach the metric system in a 'Blueprint Reading for welding" class so - I better get it right!

If you were working with both of those systems of measuration on a daily basis, then you would've definitely picked it up - I know it!

Now I do'nt ever want to read that kind of talk from you Chuck in fact,
YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO SHUT UP BECAUSE OF THE RESPECT I HAVE FOR YOU - HOW'S THAT FOR A RESPONSE SIR!!!

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By nosetackle (**) Date 04-02-2007 04:15
I am also curious about this size restriction. 2.4mm (3/32"),  i think you can find easily in every supplier.
Parent - By Shane Feder (****) Date 04-02-2007 06:42
Hello guys,
All our tungstens in the Southern Hemisphere are 2.4 mm and all the collets are 2.4 mm with 3/32 written on them as well. A 2.5 mm tungsten has got me confused,
I won't say there is no such thing because someone will come on from Upper Mongolia and prove me wrong.
Regards,
Shane
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / TUNGTEN ELECTRODE