Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Mistakes that cost more hours
- - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 04-02-2007 10:12
Just got done modifying a 10 ton fertilizer cart for a big vegetable farmer in our area.  We have done a lot of work with this operation over the past few years.  The job was to change the tread width from 80" to 60" in order to fit down the rows of the new planter, and make a new telescoping tongue 110" long.  Everything went great, it went straight at 45 mph, so at planting speeds of 3.5 mph, it was surly going to go good.  He took it and tested it, and everything was great, but he wanted a few supports added to the tongue.  OK, no problem, and 2 hours of work........That is until I was done, and lifted the tongue and it only moved up 3 inches before it bound up.  Hummmmmm, that's odd I thought.

Well in my infinite wisdom, I added the supports, but the pivot point of them was 2 inches behind the pivot point of the tongue.  So you can imagine how well that worked, a pivot point with 2 different axis of rotation.
In our constant quest for quality work and customer satisfaction, I knew there would be no "easy" way to fix this.  I was forced to cut off everything I mounted, and re-do it all the right way.  So now my easy 2 hour job was quickly turned into a 7 hour ordeal, not one of which was billable to the customer. 
That's a good way to make a good job turn into bad job in a hurry!!  "What an idiot I am" is all I could say to my wife when she asked why I needed to work in the shop on Sunday.....for free.
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 04-02-2007 16:12 Edited 04-02-2007 19:54
Ya know!

There is a fact of wisdom that can not be refuted. " The only ones who F*&%^ up are the ones who are trying to do something and the more you do the better the odds you'll F&%$# something up.
Parent - - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 04-02-2007 16:29
Yep, that's true.  I'll also add that if you are the only one who knows you F@$%#ed up, then who really knows you F@%$%@ed up??
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 04-02-2007 19:54
Never happened.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 04-02-2007 23:19 Edited 04-02-2007 23:25
"Weemarkable!!!"

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 04-18-2007 00:37 Edited 04-18-2007 12:26
Henry, you smart@$$!

You know...................I never make a mistake.

I especially didn't catch a condensate tank on fire once!
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 04-19-2007 08:55 Edited 05-12-2007 10:50
My Dad said it best to me...

A man that never made any mistakes Never did any work that amounted to anything.......

(spelling again ugghhh)
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 04-19-2007 16:05
Very true
Parent - By rebekah (**) Date 04-25-2007 16:59
There's a machinist in our shop, Ken.  He told me a story the other day about a job he went to interview for back in the day ( I dont actually know which day, he's been through quite a few of them--he's 74 ).  The new boss told him he got the job because the first guy they hired boasted that he'd never made a mistake--they let that guy go and hired Ken, who has no qualms admitting that he can @#$% up royally every now and again.  Whenever I go by his station and hear him muttering, I just keep walking because that means he messed something up and he's standing there cursing himself as he fixes it.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Mistakes that cost more hours