Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Lincoln SA-350 high idle problem...help!
- - By Pressure_guy Date 04-02-2007 15:26
Hi, I have a 1989 SA-350 with a Continental Diesel.  The welder is stuck in high idle.  I won't idle down at all.  I believe i did notice that it took longer to idle down over time and now it is stuck.  I have lubricated and moved the arm coming from the exciter.  The arm moves freely, it will idle down when pushed and then just comes back out and returns to high idle.  Any ideas???  Thanks!!!
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 04-02-2007 15:55
Hello Pressure_guy, I am not completely familiar with the system on this welder, but, I can make a few simple suggestions. There is most likely a switch on the control panel to select from the high idle/idle feature on the machine, make sure that this switch is working properly. With the machine off use a continuity tester to check to be sure that the switch is functioning correctly, it is likely a 3-pole switch that either energizes the exciter unit to keep the idle kicked up or else disengages it and allows the exciter to sense the arc strike and then engage the exciter unit. In most cases the 3-pole switch will have 3 single poles or possibly 3 sets of poles, attach the lead from the continuity tester to the center pole(s) and then check for continuity to the other pole(s) to either side of center, you should have continuity to one of these other pole(s) but not both or neither. Then flip the switch the other way and retest, if you had continuity to one pole the first time you checked, you should now have continuity to the other pole with this test. If this test doesn't check out properly it is likely that the switch needs to be replaced. Also look for faulty wiring with breaks or bad connections, many times the weather and other elements can cause loose connections or corrosion that won't allow electrical items to function correctly. This doesn't necessarily sound like a major problem with your machine, however, it will require some tracking down to come up with the fix. Good luck and regards, aevald
Parent - By Molten Metal (**) Date 04-04-2007 00:42
Try " Weldmart online ".They can answer an awful lot about the old lincolns.Get one of their CD-ROMS sent to you.Its free.Many of the sa-200/250/300/400 etc, use the same parts for such items as idler's,brushes,rehostats,etc.
Parent - By gtrman Date 04-14-2007 03:25
I bought a sa 200 with the same problem.  Tried all kinds of stuff including a new circuit board, but turned out that the base lost ground.  I ran a jumper from the alternator to the base frame and everything started working.....The control panel is attached to the base.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Lincoln SA-350 high idle problem...help!