Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Load Bank vesus a Test Meter Calibration
- - By Bill M (***) Date 04-02-2007 15:53
We are using an outside facility to annually calibrate our welding machines.  The contractor use a load bank set up.
Can I buy this Digi-Meter made by Miller and do the amp & volt meter calibration myself...or do the welding machine calibrations have to be done with a load bank? 

The calibration is not "code of construction" required, I just require it as part of my QA calibration program.  Has anyone used such equipment for calibration?

http://www.millerwelds.com/pdf/spec_sheets/AY8-0.pdf
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 04-02-2007 16:19 Edited 04-02-2007 16:21
Hello Bill M, this topic can be diced up in a number of different ways. I went through an experience a few years back when the facility that I teach and test at was required to go through an audit for testing certification. In a nutshell, this is what I came away with when all the dust had cleared. A load-bank test will give you the most accurate idea of machine calibration as the load will be reasonably constant while the test is being conducted. Meter calibrations will likely be a bit easier and more accurate by using a load-bank.
     Using a clamp-on meter(even if it is calibrated) while having a welder run a weld with the machine will exhibit fluctuations due to arc length, cable size and length, and other human and machine induced elements to the point where it will be very difficult to make an accurate comparison to the meters on the machine and those of the test meter.
     Digital meters, in most cases, will be very accurate on MOST manufacturer's machines and not require calibration, they may not even have a provision for adjustment. Analog meters on the other hand are fairly easy to change and adjust to match calibrated test equipment.
     In my case load-bank tests and calibrations were prohibitive and cost-ineffective so we went with the calibrated clamp meter instead, even though this was not the most accurate method.
     Miller has some very good information available on their website concerning calibration, I can't remember the specifics, but I was able to contact a couple of different individuals at Miller who provided me with a substantial amount of information on the subject. Good luck on your quest, regards, aevald
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 04-02-2007 17:11 Edited 04-02-2007 17:40
Hello again Bill M, I'm going to try to include some information that I received from Dan Woods of Miller. Hopefully I can get it to attach to this post. For others who have an interest in this calibration thread, I did get a file to attach, but it doesn't show up on new posts, it only shows up on the original thread. Hope this helps some. Regards, aevald
Attachment: CALIBRATIONBOOKLET.txt (0B)
Parent - By Bill M (***) Date 04-02-2007 19:31
Thanks for this add'l info on my inquiry!
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 04-02-2007 22:51
Hi Al!
I just wanted to thank you for sharing that "Calibration Booklet" from Miller!

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 04-02-2007 23:37
Hi Henry, you're more than welcome. When I was in the process of taking care of an audit a number of years back, the folks at Miller were great in sharing some very good information having to do with machine calibration. I tried to post the entire PDF file for this but the attach feature said it was too large so I could only post the text. Regards, Allan
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Load Bank vesus a Test Meter Calibration