Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Not sure what to do----sit behind a desk or go welding
- - By GQ COWBOY (*) Date 04-02-2007 19:53
what's up
I went to school for welding and pipe welding in Waco TSTI as it was call back then. I welded for a while and couldn't get the respect of the
old guys in the oil field. I worked in a shop building oil field slurry trucks and off shore rigs...Which I truely loved it. we worked from prints, you
cut everthing yourself, bent it. Whatever it took to get it done. After being talk down too and other stuff... I was just fed up... I said to myself
I'm going back to school and lean to draw with the software Autocad, Pro-E a 3-d software.. Which is cool as hell....I still have my love for welding to the max...I started working as a drafter, which after years I became a designer. now I'm another step Sr designer for another oil field
company in Houston.

This is the problem... I'm tried of sitting in a desk and working 8-5 and being bored....you can only do this for so long...
I'm ready to start back welding.....I've done a few things for people over the years. I truly miss welding for a living...
now, I have the abillty to lay it out on the computer, creat a drawing and a cut sheet...

I'm ready for my own shop....I always hear this... IN TIME YOU WILL, hell when will that be...
I'm trying to get a welding rig together now. Boy, just looking at the money, I'm needing is a mind blower...
So, needless to say, a little at a time I guess...

I went on a welding job out of town a few weeks ago. It was going to be a quick job, so I was thinking...
I was only putting expaned metal on some stairwell  (some truned out to be 18 stair or 11 floors)... Well, that trun into a 6-day job....which the pay was great... I made in a week, what I make in a month as a designer....Mmmmmmm
I guess that is what really got me thinking. Just to hear the super, say how good it looked and everyone was happy with the job...
My chest was out really far...smile What is funny, is that I only used a little mig 110 unit with fluxcore wire ...worked fine....

I was just wanting to know if I was loseing my mind... Or go with the flow and just go for it....
Parent - - By monsoon12 (**) Date 04-02-2007 20:05
Ive been welding since i was 15 im 40 now.I could use some time behind a desk,want to trade jobs lol.It will work it self out cowboy just go with what you love to do.
Parent - - By GQ COWBOY (*) Date 04-02-2007 20:11
Yea, I know, but the part I don't like is the down time in between... I'm a free man now...meaning no wife at last..smile
But, that money that follows is getting to me...everyone calling about what you need to pay them...Wow... it is cheaper to keep them..
Well, the good side is I still have my horses and my dogs.....

Thank for your kind words... I hear that everytime...

Later
Parent - - By turbolaser (**) Date 04-02-2007 22:44
The money needed to get a rig started is'nt all that much.  Just watch ebay and the craiglists for deals on used equipment to get yourself started.  I just picked up my second welding machine off ebay.  It was a local seller.  For $3400 I got a 2002 linc ranger 9 w/stainless shell only 120 hours, lincoln high freq tig module, tig torch with start button, 300' of lead and a lot of consumables all on a 4x8 trailer with a 2x6 toolbox on trailer also.  The deals are out there you just gotta keep an eye out for them.  Also watch the local paper for auctions.  Best of luck to you.
Parent - By GQ COWBOY (*) Date 04-05-2007 23:12
Thanks for that... I will keep an eye out...

I think I found a truck. A F350 1ton...

So, which i the better truck ? Chevy.....Ford......GMC and I know someone will say that the Chevy and GMC and the same.....mile
Parent - By yorkiepap (***) Date 04-03-2007 17:01
Hey COWBOY,
Just some thought from an "ol' timer"....you gotta do what is in your heart and what you know you really want to do. Thinking about it won't get it done and only delays that hunger to get out there and "give it hell". Most seem to keep "2nd guessing" themselves....keep telling themselves they want it but won't let go any fears and reluctance to just simply "go explore" and test those waters. You'll finally get to the point...."GOTTA FIND OUT!!!" In my 40+years, I never hesitated to satisfy my curiosity....it simply made my life and outlook much brighter...and really defined what my true calling was. It take a bit of strength, but you have to maintain a positive attitude and never say it can't be had....it can....and with very satisfying rewards. You'll get out twofold what you put in.....Denny
Parent - - By Fredspoppy (**) Date 04-05-2007 12:40
My Company is looking for the highest quality welding technicians (I can guarantee they don't get "talked down to") and have a number from TSTC.  Sounds like you might be interesting to us, and we might be interesting to you.  We are located on the west side of Houston.  Please give an email address where you can be contacted, if you are interested in pursuing this. 
Parent - By GQ COWBOY (*) Date 04-05-2007 23:08
Hey there Fred,

That might sound like something fun there...Sure, email me at dawsons_custom_fab@yahoo.com
I'll send a resume to you...

I was talking about leaving that desk job, I did...smile TODAY.....
It didn't too feel bad at all..
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Not sure what to do----sit behind a desk or go welding