Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / soft vs. crisp
- - By troll Date 02-25-2001 19:11
Hello. At the moment I am trying to pass my ABS welding certifacations at the new Kvaerner ship yards in Philadelphia.
The vertical and horizontil flux core are no problem. The problem I am having is with the stick. Here is the question.I am using an invertec 300 pro. I am using 7018 1/8 rod. The welding specs say that the machine should be set on crisp smaw.
How ever I cannot get any good bead this way. When I set it on soft smaw. I have no problems at all. Could someone tell me for sure,with 7018 rod on low carbon steel. should I be set on crisp or soft? The last time I did any stick welding, I did not have this option. Thank you for your help and support.
Parent - By Mike Brace (**) Date 02-27-2001 14:03
A soft setting will give you a more fluid weld puddle, crisp will give you a stiffer or not as fluid weld puddle. In the crisp setting you will need to change your technique a little. This means hold on the sides a little longer and take a little longer going across the center. The bead appearance will not be as smooth as with a soft setting but will still pass. Hope this helps.
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 02-28-2001 17:51
They are "non essential variables" use the setting that works best for you. YOU are the one qualifieing not the machine.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / soft vs. crisp