Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D 1.1 3.6.1
- - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 04-06-2007 15:41
Hello everyone,

can anyone tell me if 3.6.1 is talking about being able to weld with, lets say FCAW over SMAW, and if not does D1.1 allow that. For instance, if you put in a root pass using a SMAW WPS and then you want to weld out with FCAW WPS. I posted this on the inspection topic page but wanted to get some input.

Thanks
Jim
Parent - By bmaas1 (***) Date 04-06-2007 16:17
Jim,

I would say yes as long as the essential variables of each process is observed.

Brian
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 04-06-2007 18:46
Hello Jim, in a sense I have a similar question that I ask in the technical section of the forum here. You may want to take a look and see if anything appears to apply to your question. I based my question more from a metallurgical standpoint versus code, however, you may still find something of interest there for you. Regards, aevald
Parent - - By QCCWI (***) Date 04-09-2007 13:50
Not sure if this will answer your question but you can weld FCAW-G over SMAW without a problem. Welding FCAW-S over SMAW could cause the notch toughness of the weld metal to be weaker than allowed.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 04-09-2007 18:30
Jim,
The way I read 3.6.1 is as a general statement and would therefore not be exclusive of FCAW over SMAW. Therefore, under 3.6.1 I would read it as FCAW is acceptable over SMAW as long as you maintain the variables per code compliance.
Having said that, I would agree 100% with QCCWI there is a possible issue of toughness with FCAW-S, this is discussed in the thread mentioned by eavald.
Parent - By pax23 (**) Date 04-09-2007 21:07
I agree with all the other posts. Not an issue with D1.1 if meeting the EVs for each procedure individually, but if this is a seismic situation be aware of the requirements in the new D1.8 Seismic Supplement. I include the part of the commentary on the section dealing with this issue below:

C-Annex B
Intermix CVN Testing of Filler Metal Combinations (where one of the Filler Metals is FCAW-S)

C-B1. Purpose
There have been instances that even though each filler metal individually was classified as having adequate notch toughness, the mixing process during the completion weld resulted in a combined weld with reduced notch toughness. This Annex is intended to ensure that unacceptable degradation does not take place. This testing is to be performed when required by 6.3.4. The only filler metal combinations required to be tested are those where one of the two is FCAW-S. Combinations of FCAW-S with FCAW-S may be used without performing this testing. Any combinations of SMAW, FCAW-G, GMAW, SAW or ESW may be used without performing this testing. Also see C-6.3.4.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D 1.1 3.6.1