Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / My first welding test for a job.
- - By New-Welder1 (*) Date 04-07-2007 03:56
Well just a couple of months ago i got my first job and ive now come to recognize the place im working for is a total joke, on monday i have an interview and am going in for a welding test, ( the place im working for now didnt give me a test ) so anyhow the place im going to runs all fluxcore and im going to have to do a bend test, now the little flux core experience i have is from school, now in school i was taught when welding with flux core that when your doing youre root you should push your puddle rather than drag, does anyone have any other tips they could give me for this test? i would greatly appreciate it,
Parent - By turbolaser (**) Date 04-07-2007 16:32
In my experience you want to drag the root pass on everything except vertical especially if there is a backer plate.  I would recommend 5 degree drag on root, no angle to a 5 degree drag on fill and no angle to 5 degree push on the cap.  If you push the root and are not very experienced with fluxcore you have a good chance of bridgeing your weld and getting little if any penetration on the backer.  You may want to let the plate sit for 10 to 15 mins before doing the cap to let some heat out of the plate help prevent undercut.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / My first welding test for a job.