Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Anyone used a slice torch?
- - By Ddiesel Date 04-09-2007 01:12
I am a heavy equipment mechanic. sometimes its necessary to cut out a pin. a few instances have arisen where said pin may be 3 inches by say 24inches. i have used carbon arc to gouge out pins up to 12 inches in depth but its a chore. i was told that and exxothermic slice torch would burn straight throught a pin of any depth rod permitting. before i drop the money to order one i would like to hear from somone that has used one. Thanks
Parent - By J Hall (***) Date 04-09-2007 02:42
I have a Slice torch, it is not cheap to use, but all in all it is a decent tool. It's nicer for burning pins than an airarc.
Parent - - By joseph asturino (*) Date 04-09-2007 03:12
yes , i've used them , and for the same thing........its a pain in the ass , just like the gouging rods......but it works....

if the pin has been worn down in a way where pushing it out no matter how much pressure is applied is out of the question , then you have no choice but to wash the whole damm thing out of there ,,,, bummer.......,,,,,,,,  the torch you talked about comes in various sizes , we use them up to 5 ft. long , still , you have to get good at it , like everything else.....sometimes ,  i use a number 12 scarfing tip,,,,it works well , its so big , that i will start to burn a 1 inch hole ,,,,,,,,,,just hold the torch fixed , don't move it , and it will form a nice stream that will stay intact ,  it will keep burning many inches from the torch tip like this before you have to move the torch closer ,,,,,,,do this for a minute or so , and then just knock off the big chunk of slag and continue , its comes out really clean.......you can wash out this type of hole an easy 12 inches......

alot of times , you just have to relieve some of the surrounding pressure , you can blow your hole slightly off center , then once you've pierced thru , start over again , and keep washing out a line thru the length , up the long way,,,,,working your way up to the bushing,,,,,,,this really helps in knocking that M F out of there......  

you don't need the battery to ignite the rods,,,,,,the torch will work....
Parent - By TozziWelding (**) Date 04-09-2007 19:40 Edited 04-09-2007 21:26
I had a Slice setup(for the same reason, blowing out pins), to damn expensive to run it so I sold it. I then bought an attachment for my Victor torch, rather than the cutting tip being 90 degres to the handle it is straight(and the whole thing will fit in a 2" hole). I also bought some extra long torch tips(these babys are a good 10" long), and for the price of a box of Slice rods I have the hot set up for blowing out pins in the tightest spots.
Parent - - By supermechanic (**) Date 04-10-2007 01:25
Google "oxygen lance"
You will find that all any of these devices are is a piece of steel pipe with high pressure O2 feeding in one end.
Not too hard to make one up yourself.
Pre heat pin end to redhot with big rosebud, heat end of lance pipe also, turn on O2, watch steel puddle out. no expensive doo-dads needed.
Parent - By darren (***) Date 04-10-2007 02:18
Without an oxygen lance it is pretty hard to expect the big money from your customers when it comes to pin removal, the time it takes to remove pins that are malformed or seized any other way is kinda backyard.
making your own as it was suggested within the thread is very easy. we have built them out of ten foot pieces of 1/2" heavy wall pipe and used them for underwater demolition and  other demolition jobs. you can cut through three foot thick concrete and steel underwater, above water is very dangerous as there is a lot of dross flying every where. blows through pilings at an amazing speed.

even if it costs big bucks in supplies for one pin it still is cheaper than the time it takes to do it any other way. (haven't experienced the ten inch straight oxy fuel cutting tips so i cant speak to that)

If the lance is used correctly then there is almost no heat transfer to the bearing surfaces which might destroy any hardening process they may have undergone. poke a hole the length of the pin let it cool, spray water or compressed air through it to get a real good shrink,repeat as necessary and pop it out.

the one I had was always out on loan and it was a great barter tool to get favors from other mechanics and service provider. they payed for their own consumables and had it back as soon as possible there where no problems. i ve done three foot pins with them going from both ends and was done in less than an hour. worth every penny and in the long run if used with common sense also saved the customers a lot of money. used different kinds and the ones that had iron filing in the middle where the most accurate as opposed to the rolled ones.

one word of caution, met a fellow who blew off his hand with a very large homemade lance when he was using underwater.
darren
Parent - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 04-10-2007 14:22
I have the Slice Torch. I have the Broco Underwater Cutting Torch.  They are both great for Pins, lancing concrete, lancing through safes, coper Etc.  Look into the BROCO Torch.  Their cut rods are better than the slice torch rods.   The resultant cut cannot be welded successfully, so plan on heavy grinding if welding is to follow.  The burning pipe approach requires a very expensive regulator assembly, chuck and valve handle and a lot of oxygen, so it is not practical for pins. Be carefull.  Wear leathers, face and eye protection. I  suggest that you practice before you go out on the first job.  There is a learning curve for piercing and hollowing out long pins.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Anyone used a slice torch?