Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / How's your father, Chuck Meadows?
- - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 04-10-2007 20:27
Chuck,
We havn't heard about your father since the days he was admitted in delicate health conditions in Galveston's hospital.
How's he now? Has he recovered all right?
Giovanni S. Crisi 
Parent - - By chuck meadows (***) Date 04-10-2007 20:51
Giovanni,
  Thank you very much for your consideration. It is greatly appreciated.
  He is home now, but there is still slight bleeding in his lungs. He is 86 yr. old and he smoked for 60 years and his lungs are sort of damaged from prolonged smoking. The bleeding is coming from his gasping for breath and the breakage of blood vessels. It is just a matter of time before he needs to go on oxygen. This is scary,  because my Mom died last year from emphazema. She was on oxygen for 2 years before her lungs just gave out. But, he is not afraid of dying because he knows his rewards are not of this world. He is doing as well as can be expected, though. Again, thanks for asking, Giovanni. 
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 04-11-2007 15:07
Your Dad is right. Our life isn 't ours. It's a gift we received from God and He takes it away from us when He wishes.
Just a curious question. Is your Dad a 2nd War Veteran? In case he is, where did he fight during the war?
Giovanni S. Crisi
Parent - By chuck meadows (***) Date 04-11-2007 18:29
Giovanni,
  He was in the Marines during the Korean war. He doesn't talk too much about it, though. When lives are being sacrificed, sometimes it's not a pretty subject.
Parent - - By PhilThomas (**) Date 04-11-2007 15:20
Chuck - very sorry to hear of his health problems.  I'm just slightly more than half his age, and I am certainly getting to the point of being thankful for each day (that particular blessing didn't seem so obvious over the first 45 years).  Take all the time you can possibly afford and spend it with him.  Then you will BOTH be blessed :)
Parent - - By chuck meadows (***) Date 04-11-2007 18:33
Right, Phil...I cherish every day with him.. Thanks..
Parent - - By yorkiepap (***) Date 04-11-2007 19:14
Hey Chuck,
Just want to say you & yours are in my prayers also, 'bro. I know exactly where you're at presently, as I, too, are dealing with the same. Pap will be 91 in July...mom will be 85 in June. I know I am one of a very few, at 63, to be still blessed to have my mom and dad. I call them every day, visit at least 3 times a week, and give to them my time to simply show my thanks to have such marvelous parents. Of my 2 brothers, one lives next door and is always there for them....the other lives only for the dollar....and he was helped the most by our parents.

You are an honorable man, Chuck....You are in my thoughts & prayers......Denny
Parent - - By chuck meadows (***) Date 04-11-2007 20:56
Denny,
Thank you very much. You know, when I see him sitting there gasping for breath it makes me regret all the years I could have visited him much more than I can today. Of course we always think our parents will live forever when we're young, then we start getting up there in years and it causes me to think back at all the lost opportunities I had to visit, but didn't. But, like you, I'm lucky to have had as long as I have. Thanks again, my friend..
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 04-11-2007 21:05
You're welcome, My FRIEND!!!

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 04-11-2007 20:55 Edited 04-11-2007 21:02
Hey Chuck!

I understand what you're going through, and I just want to express my sympathy and compassion to you and the journey you're on... Chuck you're one of the few fortunate and greatful souls in this world of ours that understands what it is to have parents that you love unconditionally... Not everyone appreciates their parents while they're still around, and only understand how important they were once they're gone for good.

You however get it!!! You are a powerful example of honoring your elders Chuck!!! Walk Proud Sir!!!

Back in 1997 when I was still recovering from a Liver Transplant, My Dad was dying of lung cancer, lymphoma and Colon cancer all at the same time... he went through many courses of chemo and radiation therapy for which during those courses, I was honored to be around him, taking him to the Oncology clinic for those treatments...

He made a promise to me for which he fullfilled by staying alive long enough to know that I would be safe with the gift of Life... Once he knew that I would be safe, My father no longer had to fight just to stay alive... In fact, the excitement of being able to stick around long enough for me to recover from my Liver Transplant is what did him in... It was'nt the cancer that finally got him... No! His heart basically exploded inside from all of the joy he experienced in knowing that his son would be allright!!!

I say this proudly because I observed my Father go through almost all of the suffering that a human being could possibly go through, and yet not once did he stop smiling for me, did he stop offering me words of encouragement towards my own situation as I waited for the call to recieve my liver.

He did his utmost best not to have me see him suffer... In fact, we would go to Atlantic City almost on a weekly basis during those days where he was treated like a king with all of the comps he somehow always managed to have -Hmmm, I wonder who he knew there??? Anywho, we really got to know each other better for obvious reasons like - we were spending so much time together... We finally became the best of friends!!!

Then, I had no other choice but to move to Pittsburgh from Elizabeth, New Jersey because every three months, I had to go to Pittsburgh's University of Pittsburgh Medical Center - Thomas E. Starzyl Transplantation Institute for a clinical examination since I was on their liver Transplant waiting list, and this was a requirement in order to maintain my listing there - which was probably the best transplant center in the world to be listed at that time... It was costing too much for me to go to Pittsburgh every three months so I decided to move to Pittsburgh instead... I really missed my Dad during that time even though I would come back to Elizabeth as often as I could afford to do so... Still, It was'nt the same being away from my Dad... I ended up waiting 4 years before I recieved the gift of life!

Again, he held on long enough to know that I would be out of danger... The only thing I regret is that I could'nt be with him when he passed but, I'll always cherish the times we had together and the fact that he was also my friend!!! We still talk to this day!!! In my mind, even though I no longer can see him - He's still with me!!!

I know I'm getting "long-winded" here so bear with me Chuck... Anywho, My father expressed his love for me in such an example of true grit that I'll always be proud, honored and greatful to say to anyone who wants to know or not - "that's who my Dad was!!!" God Bless You Chuck!!!

Respectfully,
Henry

Parent - By chuck meadows (***) Date 04-11-2007 21:31
Wow !! What a heartwarming story !! Thanks for sharing that with everyone in the Forum. Me Dad told me the other day that death is nothing to be afraid of, but is his "reward" for being a Christian. Can't argue with that, huh?? Brother, your letter was so sincere and heart felt that it almost gave me chills. Thanks, buddy..
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / How's your father, Chuck Meadows?