Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / whats meant by draging the rod
- - By elliott (**) Date 04-10-2007 23:51
How it going everybody. I was reading some of the old posts and notice you guys talking about draging , is that the same as backhand motion with  the rod. Some body wrote that you shouldnt do that. About 2 months ago I got a job with a company that makes awning and also does canopy structures no bigger 10x10x1/4 inch column.The welder there told me that it doesnt really matter if you use a fore hand motion or a backhand motion.But I also have some friend that work for fuel compay installing boilers and they have told me not to use the backhand motion. I have some experience welding before I got the job but nothing of an importance just for myself.Took a long time to find a company that would give you a chace.Its going real good but I want do the it the right way, we all know bad habits are hard to break.Someday I hope to be welding pipe or  structual.Thanks again
Parent - - By cmays (***) Date 04-11-2007 00:33
It all depends on several variables such as what electrode you are using, what position you are welding in as well as what process you are using. Drag method is mainly popular when using "jet rod" (7024) in a flat position only (if that happens to be what you are refering to as "drag method"). The main thing is to learn what your puddle is doing in any position or with any electrode. One of the main problems that commonly occurs when using the drag method is if you dont pay attention to your puddle form the slag will slip under your puddle causing a cavity to form. That will bust yah 100 % of the time in a bend test.
Parent - By Molten Metal (**) Date 04-11-2007 00:39
What type of electrode? What power source/polarity + or -  or AC ? What position? flat,vert,horizontal,?
Parent - By dschlotz (***) Date 04-11-2007 02:58
Elliot,

Drag is accomplished when your stinger is ahead of the puddle and wire or rod is at the leading edge dragging the puddle along. It's kind of like when you pull (drag) a wagon--the wagon tongue would be the rod or welding wire. The opposite to dragging is  pushing. Get in the wagon and push yourself forward with one foot. The tongue will be leaning backward of the travel. Pushing. The advantage if dragging is deeper penetration. The advantage of pushing is that your heat is on top of the weld metal and you can weld thinner material easier.

Dennis
Parent - By TaylorTolliver (*) Date 04-12-2007 06:59 Edited 04-13-2007 00:10
Im only a student but oh well. Yeah dragging is basically pulling the puddle in the backhand direction as if you were slapping somebody. 7024 is a common drag rod but is very liquidy and used for flat and very limited horizontal welding. 7018 is even more common and that rod can be dragged with great weld quality in flat (1F) Horz.(2F) or over head (4F). I find that if your welding thicker material its best to use the forehand technique because for me it tends to allows a deeper penetrating pass cause I seem to travel a little bit slower. Certain types of rods produce horrible welds while being dragged such as 6010 otherwise known as 5P or Redrod, which requires a "whip" technique to achieve proper bead or weld pass quality. And also 6011 which is the AC version of 6010. Other rods such as 6012 or 6013 use the rotary technique to achieve proper weld quality. But anyway, backhand technique for thinner material and forehand for thicker stuff or things that need deeper penetrating welds such as a boiler or pressure vessel. I think i might have given you a little more information than you needed but there ya go. :)
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / whats meant by draging the rod