Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / low hydrogen electrodes
1 2 Previous Next  
- - By bellaru (*) Date 04-11-2007 03:16
what is it about low hydrogen electrodes that enables you to use a much lower pre-heat.....?
Parent - - By PhilThomas (**) Date 04-11-2007 13:05
In the simplest of terms:

Hydrogen escapes from weld metal better at higher temperatures.
Low hydrogen electrodes result in less hydrogen in the weld metal.
Using low hydrogen electrodes, then, prevents the "critical" amount of hydrogen from remaining trapped in the weld metal and causing a crack, so the preheat can be lowered.

This is a VERY simple presentation of a complex topic.  There are a number of other important variables such as material thickness, crystalline structure, presence of other interstitial elements such as nitrogen and boron, heat input, cooling rate, etc.
Parent - - By bellaru (*) Date 04-23-2007 07:14
but what is it about the actual electrode that enables it to retain less moisture (other than the rod oven)...........?
Parent - - By PhilThomas (**) Date 04-23-2007 11:23
The manufacturers do two things to reduce the available hydrogen in the covering.

1.  Minimize the use of hygroscopic (water-retaining) raw materials.

2.  Bake the electrodes at high temperature to remove any moisture after the coating is extruded and then immediately seal them in a can/vacuum pack/tube to keep them from re-absorbing hydrogen from the atmosphere.

The bake step is done for all electrodes since it is necessary to wet the coating in order to extrude it onto the core wire; this is usually done with a silicate.
Parent - - By bellaru (*) Date 04-23-2007 12:29
thats what i was looking for........thank you Phil.........
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-24-2007 15:08 Edited 04-24-2007 15:19
Hello bellaru;

Welders have a difficult time in understanding the problems associated with atomic hydrogen in welds. They can't see it, they can't taste it, and they can't feel it.

When I encounter problems on the job site where they are ignoring the need to keep the low hydrogen in "hot-boxes" or they are using non-low hydrogen electrodes when "lo-Hi" rods are required, I do an experiment with them to demonstrate how the hydrogen is introduced into the weld and it can evolve from a weld over time.

The photo attached shows the results of the expeiment. There are two welded samples. The one to the left is make with a properly stored E7018. The one to the right is a weld made with a rod that wasn't stored in the heated electrode oven. The bubbles are hydrogen gas diffusing out of a weld bead.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By RANDER (***) Date 04-24-2007 15:57
Wow, Excellent example Al
Thanks for sharing.  I will have to try that sometime.
Parent - - By MDG Custom Weld (***) Date 04-24-2007 16:40
Al,
  I would love to use that example, but don't really understand how you achieved that result.  Is it as simple as just weld it, let it cool, then dunk it in water?  Just a few questions, what base metal (I assume A-36), what's the solution, is the solution just ambient temp, how long will the phenomenon last?
I hope it's not a trade secret :)

Mark
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 04-24-2007 17:15
i would be interested in this info also
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 04-24-2007 17:30
Ok Al, I'm going to join in with the choir here. You've got the attention of the audience now please give the details of this. That is a really great example that is sure to get the attention of those who are doubters of the importance of proper rod storage and handling. Thanks, Allan
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-24-2007 18:21 Edited 04-24-2007 18:53
This photo never fails to get the attention it deserves. It draws them in hook, line, and sinker.

The solution is "baby oil" you can buy at any pharmacy. Glycerin works as well.

I use short lengths of backing bar that are typically laying around on the job site. Then make a weld bead on each of the two or three pieces of backing bar. One weld can be E6010 with a cellulose flux covering. It produces a ton of bubbles that continue to evolve for several hours. The other weld can be made with E7018 that has been left out in the ambient environment over night, or several days, or whatever the job conditions are (rods removed from an open container in the job site tool box work great). It will have absorbed moisture from the air. Hot humid days work best or you can fill a pie plate with some water and lie the rods across the pie plate over night. Don't put the rods in contact with the water. Normal evaporation will do the trick.

The low hydrogen flux coating is essentially composed of the same material as cement power, e.g., limestone. Just as a bag of cement stored in an outside shed or in a cellar will absorb moisture and turn into a 90 pound cement block, the flux covering on the E7018 (or any Lo-Hi electrode) will absorb moisture from the air. A weld bead made with the moisture laden flux will produce nearly as many hydrogen bubbles as the cellulose flux covering (E6010). The total amount of atomic hydrogen is dependent on the amount of moisture absorbed by the limestone based flux. Usually, the off gassing will stop in about six hours.

A welded sample made using the low hydrogen electrode removed directly from a fresh can or one that has been stored under the proper conditions, i.e., in an electric heated oven at 250 degree or higher, will produce a bubble or two after a considerable waiting period.

Now we have low hydrogen electrodes that are H8, H4 etc. These electrode produce even less hydrogen than a regular E7018 (H16) electrode if they are properly stored and the exposure time limits are observed. H16 means the electrode will produce no more than 16 mg of H per 100 g of weld deposit if it is properly stored. Likewise, H8 produces 8ml/100g and the H4 is 4 ml/100g.

Make the weld with the appropriate electrode. Quickly dip the welded sample in water (best results) to cool it or use compressed air (not as good, but better than a sharp stick in the eye) to cool it quickly. Remove the slag and wire brush the completed weld. Submerge the weld sample in the baby oil and sit back and watch the reaction of the welders (or inspectors or engineers). It all happens within a couple of minutes, so there is no standing around for long periods of time waiting for something to happen.

IT'S MAGIC!

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By PhilThomas (**) Date 04-25-2007 02:49
....and - remarkably - the essence of the standard AWS diffusible hydrogen test!  <g>

Truly a wonderful example!  I tend to forget that many welders have a hard time grasping "atmospheric" facts!
Parent - - By bellaru (*) Date 04-25-2007 10:05
  Now that i really liked,,,,,,,,,,its 3am here in los angeles,,,,,,,,first thing today,,,,,,get some baby oil............

thank you Al,,,,,,,thats amazing...............
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-25-2007 11:25

I went to the chemistry lab right after seeing that example and bartered for beekers and mineral oil.

Special Demo for metal fab on Thursday.

.........hoping it works.

Also wondering if overheated and abused Aluminum would have the same effect. I'm told that "grainy" surface at weld terminations is hydrogen that is extra soluable during the melt stage and cannot escape during freezing. Going to try overheating and welding with various amounts of surface prep.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-25-2007 11:58
Hello Lawrence;

Past experience with aluminum has taught me that porosity in aluminum is often associated with hydrogen. Contamination by oils, greases, even finger prints usually results in porosity. I would expect hydrates to also result in porosity. So, this demonstration may provide some interesting results. Please keep us informed.

Phil, you're right about the comment on determining the diffusible hydrogen. That is the basis of this demonstration. The baby oil is easier to see through than mercury and not as dangerous. Not as precise when trying to actually measure the diffusible hydrogen, but that isn't the goal in this demonstration.

By the way, I saw this demonstration many, ... many years ago at Ohio State University. If my memory serves me correctly, it was Dr. Green that did the demonstration. As a young welder, this demonstration really got my immediate attention. And as you can see, I've never forgotten the lessons learned from it.

I've even performed this little magic trick for one of our AWS meetings when the topic was a "Question and Answer Night" where our executive board members fielded questions from the members in attendance. This demonstration was the opening act. It really got the ball rolling.

I hope it sparks the curiosity and inquisitiveness in every welding student that you show it to.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 04-25-2007 14:10
A point of curiosity. Perhaps demonstrating my ignorance. How do we know it is hydrogen evolving here as opposed to oxygen, nitrogen, carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide, etc., and other atmospheric gases that would be obsorbed into the flux of exposed electrodes.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 04-25-2007 14:12
Actually, gases not only absorbed from the atmosphere but generated by the welding process itself.
Parent - - By RANDER (***) Date 04-25-2007 14:30
Take a match to it Al and post another pic :)
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 04-25-2007 15:30
I'm not trying to be a smartazz here, its just that what I see isn't what I would have expected. I noticed the bubbles seem to evolve almost exclusively from the weld metal. Logically I would expect a great deal of the hydrogen to evolve from the HAZ (less at first but for a longer poeriod in time) or BM since these regions are subject to lower temps and therefore slower hydrogen evolution, and hydrogen would have been introduced into them from the weld metal. Whereas the evolution of hydrogen from the weld metal would be to a much greater extent early on, due to such high temps and be reduced to a greater extent much sooner. What am I overlooking?
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-25-2007 16:13
I want to try this before commenting, but I expect that you will see a difference between the properly stored electrodes and the ones that were over-exposed to the atmosphere...in regards to the rate of which you see the bubbling(regardless of what gas the bubbles actually are).
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 04-25-2007 17:52 Edited 04-25-2007 18:30
Hello js55, when I have done some sawing and polishing on low-hydrogen welded joints that were done with moist or improperly stored electrodes and then observed the cross-section under magnification I have generally found the weld metal to have a swiss cheese look to it (that might be exaggerating slightly). The base metal will show as basically solid and the weld metal deposit will look like a sponge with multiple gas-pocket looking holes, I would venture to guess that whether these "pockets" contained hydrogen or other gases is irrelevant to some degree as I feel this structure would compromise the weld metal strength and integrity. Now to get to part of why I posted this in the first place, you mentioned not seeing anything gassing off from the base metal, maybe that explains the lack of pockets that I have seen when I have polished specimens as I described above. I have seen pockets in the weld metal but not the base material. That's just my personal opinion and what I base reasoning justification in one more way for enforcing proper rod storage. Regards, Allan
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 04-25-2007 18:28
Allen,
I don't know. I'm not disputing what you have seen. But box cars full of pipe are welded every day with un heated cellulosic coated weld materials (cellulosics require some moisture content to operate properly) without a threat to weld metal strength.
And arguments for hydrogen control never involve threats to the strength of the weld, just the cracking tendency as hydrogen pockets and begins to apply pressure on susceptible microstructures.
Also, hydrogen has been recommended as minor additions to GTAW welding for shielding gases to achieve greater travel speeds and penetration. The limiting concern is always cracking not weld strength. In fact the few articles that I have read on these applications note no change of weld strength beyond the already existing scatter band, and therefore unrecognizable.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 04-25-2007 19:12
Hello again js55, I certainly wouldn't disagree with your statements as well. I am not a terrific metallurgist and sometimes I deduct things without having a great grasp on all of the applicable factors. That is part of why I have been interested in the various ways that this thread has been observed by all of those who have responded. I am waiting with interest to see any additional observations and statements with regard to this subject. I thank you for your input on this and the many other subjects you have commented on. Regards, Allan
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 04-25-2007 19:40
Allen,
This is a great discussion. I really enjoy it when the forum moves beyond the simple question and answer format and gets into something we can really sink our teeth into. Even if it means walking away with more questions than answers.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-25-2007 18:10 Edited 04-25-2007 19:18
Well, I experimented...I'll have to say that my results weren't quite as obvious as Al's, but still there was outgassing of some degree withthe improperly stored rod vs the rod directly out of the oven. I'll try to add pics in a minute or two to this post....

EDIT:
OK, here are the pics...

First pic is the rod used right out of the rod oven:

Second pic is of a E7028 that was laying on top of the welder for a couple days.

Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-25-2007 18:43
My test consisted of:

(2) clear plastic, Rubbermaid 8 cup canisters with screw on lids(separate jar for each sample);
(80 ounces of regular off brand(Walmart) baby oil(used 40oz in each jar);
(one) improperly stored E7028(only dampness is what it has absorbed in the last two days while sitting out on the top of one of our SMAW welding machines in the shop);
(one) properly stored electrode right out of the rod oven

Time lapse from time of welding to immersion in baby oil was approximately 10 minutes to allow for cooling enough to handle with bare hands. The pictures were taken within the first 5 minutes of immersion. Bubbling started immediately after immersion along the centerline of the cap on the improperly stored rod's weld bead and produced bubbles that are continuing to rise off the weld bead as I type this. The weld bead of the properly stored rod has yet to produce one visible bubble.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 04-25-2007 19:13
I'm really at a loss to explain why all of the outgassing is taking place in the weld metal (in fact, even longitudinally dead center of the weld metal as you described), when in reality there would be a great deal of hydrogen (and other gases for that matter) from the exposed electrodes that would find their way into the HAZ AND BM. Why is there no outgassing from the HAZ and BM? This phenomena is one of the reasons for preheat procedures (that, and of course minimizing stresses and the formation of martensite(bainite)-the other two factors in HIC).
Also, why is it that HIC so often manifests as tranverse cracking in weld metal and yet the axis of the assumed hydrogen is perpendicular to that result?
As impressive as the result of the test is, it doesn't seem to make any sense.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-25-2007 19:27
I was really expecting more bubbles than I got, but I didn't introduce anymore moisture than what is normally found in the atmosphere of our enclosed shop, and this exposed rod was only out for a couple days. I could have probably dug around in some of the welder's desks and found some old rods that would have really produced a bubble show. I was hoping for a really dramatic test, but never the less it was still very convincing to those who looked on.
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 04-25-2007 21:00
John,

I produce a bubble show almost every time I get in the bathtub.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 04-25-2007 21:04
Yes, and I'm sure there is evidence of hydrogen induced cracking. Sorry. Couldn't resist.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 04-25-2007 21:05
Though hopefully longitudinal. Ok. I'm done.
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 04-26-2007 01:22
A hygroscopic substance attracts water molecules (hydrogen) from its surrounding environment through either absorption or adsorption.

Two common hygroscopic substances are baby oil (based in mineral oil) and glycerin.

I think it would be important to take in consideration the purity and nature of the chemicals in question. Especially baby oil. Some baby oil is based organically, most from petrochemical byproduct, and many with added fragrances. I think dilution of the mineral oil with other substances would directly affect the results of this experiment.

My two cents worth.

regards,
Gerald
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 04-26-2007 01:36
Somehow I don't think johnson and johnson had this particular application in mind.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-26-2007 03:36
Let's see if we can sort through this. Now, I admit I'm not a metallurgist, so don't let my ignorance cause any uncontrollable laughter from the audience.

As for the type of gas evolving. Atomic hydrogen is what we are concerned with. Other gases such as CO2, N, etc. are rather large molecules or atoms. They are too large to diffuse through the atomic lattice structure easily and will typically manifest themselves as porosity. Most gases are very soluble in molten metal. As the liquid solidifies, the solubility is greatly reduced and the gases diffuse into the air or are trapped within the metal and we see the resulting porosity. Hydrogen atoms on the other hand are very small. An atom of hydrogen consist of one neutron, one proton, and one electron (and I'm not sure about the neutron, I don't have my chemistry book handy). Any atomic hydrogen that doesn't escape as the liquid solidifies is "trapped" within the crystalline lattice structure. It then difuses within the atomic lattice and does it's dirty deeds. I may not have all the facts straight, so feel free to get into this and make sure I'm not spinning a yarn. One of the theories I've heard recently was based on work done at the University of Tennessee. They have found evidence of methane gas in the area of the crack tip. The thought is that instead of two atomic hydrogen atoms getting together to form a molecule thus stressing the atomic lattice, the atomic hydrogen is combining with free carbon to form a methane molecule which is a much larger molecule than a molecule of hydrogen. What type of microstructure contains carbon? Martensite of course!  What type of microstructure is already highly stressed and brittle? Right again, Martensite!

Consider the fact that the solubility of carbon and hydrogen are higher in austenite than other phases because there is more free volume in a face centered crystalline lattice than in a body centered cubic lattice structure. The cracking doesn't occur while the steel is Austenized. It cracks when the metal cools to room temperature and the Austenite has decomposed into either ferrite (body centered cubic) or Ferrite and Cementite (Pearlite)  or the highly stressed teragonal Martensite or Bainite. The Ferrite and Pearlite are ductile and can accommodate the hydrogen. The Martensite is already highly stressed, it has carbon available, bang - you get a crack. Bainite can crack as well, but the problems is more pronounced with the Martensite.

As for why you see the bulk of the hydrogen gas evolving from the centerline of the weld bead. Ask yourself, "what is the last portion of the weld to solidify?"

The solidification initiates along the existing solidified metal (that is relatively "cold"), i.e., the outer edges of the weld bead against the unmelted base metal, and progresses toward the center of the weld. So, the hydrogen and other gases as well as any low melting point constituents are "pushed" toward the centerline of the weld because it is still liquid and allows the "gases" and LMPC to stay in solution until at last moment when the last remaining liquid along the center of the weld bead solidifies and the bad actors have to exit the steel post hast or get trapped within the solidified metal.

Where was I going with this? Yes, JW, why is it that we see cold cracking in the HAZ? Because it is most likely the location of Martensite. Most welding electrodes are formulated with very low carbon content to expressly prevent the formation of Martensite in the weld. However, the carbon content of the base metal is not controlled to the extent the weld filler metal is. The carbon content is higher, it (the HAZ) is Austenized during welding, and if the cooling rates are sufficiently high, Marternsite will form. Any hydrogen that does not escape before solidification and diffuses to the HAZ has the opportunity  to form the dreaded molecule of hydrogen gas or the much more damaging Methane molecule in the area most likely to have a Martensitic microstructure.

Whoops, I almost forgot one, You have to quench the sample quickly to prevent the hydrogen from diffusing out of the hot weld sample. At temperatures above 450 degrees F, the atomic lattice structure is "loose" enough to allow the hydrogen to escape easily (the reason a hydrogen bake-out is so effective). So, for best results, weld, quickly quench the sample in cold water, chip, wire brush, pat dry with paper towel or with compressed air to "entrap" the maximum amount of hydrogen in the sample. Then put the sample in enough baby oil to submerge it several inches deep.

With over exposed low hydrogen electrodes, the volume of hydrogen is a function of the moisture absorbed by the flux coating. Moisture resistant coatings will not absorb as much moisture as the regular type of low hydrogen electrodes. If you want to improve the results, use the pie pan filled with water. Lay the rods across the pan and let them sit over the weekend. This works really nicely on the job site after a weekend of rain. However, that will not compare to the volume of hydrogen produced by a sample welded with a cellulose covered electrode like an E6010.

How do you know it's hydrogen? Place an inverted funnel over the sample. Push it down to fill it with Baby Oil and cap the open end. Capture the bubbles and after several hours, pop the cap and expose the escaping gas to an ignition source. I'll be the one behind the overturned table.

I hope I answered some of the issued and concerns mentioned. Those are my explanations of what's happening. I may have a few details wrong, but that's my thoughts on the subject.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 04-26-2007 14:12
Al,
A few problems with your explanation, in my opinion.
First of all HAZ cracking is not solely dependent upon the existence of Martensite. Martensite simply lowers the threshold of the possibility of cracking. If this were not the case why would we have such a concern for cracking in not only martensitic HAZ's but ferritic carbon steel weld metals as well. Even by your valid argument for less carbon in weld metals as opposed to base metals we don't see a reduced concern for H2 cracking.
In fact, this concern is demonstrated by the very emotional impact of the experiment, and lack of discussion about the absence of bubbles coming form the HAZ.
What is often overlooked is the fact that as many materials get thicker the incidence of martensite in the center of the material is reduced because the outer edges are cooled quickly whereas the center portions are cooled slowly. This is seen not only with carbon steels to some extent but most especially microalloys, CrMo's, Ni steels, V steels, etc. Many alloy steels as manufactured have a three part microstructure just due to thickness. Martensite existing to some extent on the surface(as with microalloys and Ni steels), bainite existing to some extent on the immediate interior, and ferrite, even pearlite existing on the deep interior subject to slow cooling. So then why is it that there is greater concern for cracking in thicker materials? Because of thickness generated triaxial stresses.There are three things necessary for H2 cracking (in varying relationships). H2, stresses, and a sensitive microsturcture. Any increase of one reduces the critical level of the others.
Code requirements for preheats to increase with thickness demonstrates in part the idea that increasing triaxial stress lowers the requirement for a sensitive microstructure (such as martensite)and volume percent of hydrogen in order to risk cracking.
And, why is it we would have such a profound concern for HIC in, for example, CrMo's which are in many instances almost entirely bainitic?

Secondly, what we are seeing is not a predominance of bubbles coming from the weld metal but essentially a complete absence of bubbles from the HAZ at all.
Hydrogen diffused into the HAZ would not be subject to pushing along the solidification front. And since these specimens are dropped in the experimental medium almost immediately, and demonstrate bubbles for some time it is reasonable to assume that were there hydrogen in the HAZ that there would be bubbles present, even if in smaller quantities than that present on the weld centerline. The solidification front argument would be stronger if the bubbles evolved immediately and then quit.
And since HIC can take as much as two weeks to manifest this is evidence that hydrogen is moving around in the microstructure for some time before settling into voids to apply pressure. I do not deny the solidification front argument. I htink it is valid. I just believe it is only capable of explaning a predominance of bubbles on the weld center line, not exclusive bubbles on the weld centerline.
There should be bubbles exiting from all locations for days. Actually even from underneath and finding their way to the edges of the sample.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 04-26-2007 14:29
I guess to put my point briefly: either what we are seeing isn't what we think we are seeing, or our ideas of hydrogen absorption, diffusion, and evolution are so far wrong as to not even be useful. I just don't see any other way of lookng at it consistently. At least until further evidence convinces.
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 04-26-2007 21:53
FWIW JS55, I agree with your points with regards to the absence of bubbles coming from the HAZ...
one can easily forget that crystal formations, grain size & boundries are totally different when comparing what is observed in the weld metal to the HAZ or to the unaffected BM.

I believe if tighter controls are used in this experiment and more variables like what Larry alluded to might result in some interesting findings...

Hey Larry! please let me know the result of your Aluminum samples when you get a chance because I think the findings can be used to show the necessity for emphasizing the importance of cleanliness when welding Aluminum to someone that for the most part does'nt see how critical it is to remove contaminants in order to avoid porosity especially if one is let's say working to NAVSEA/NAVSHIPS inspection criteria.

Some folks seem to think that welding steels is the same as welding Aluminum!!! We know that these are two completely different "animals" however, some folks seem to think otherwise and that only shows how ignorant they really are. I really enjoyed this thread so far!!!

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 04-27-2007 02:13 Edited 04-27-2007 02:15
So then the only question to ask is if you have actually performed the "inverted funnel" test in a relatively safe manner already to verify that it is indeed hydrogen escaping from the weld metal???

If you have then, there's no further reason to question whether or not those "tiny bubbles" are indeed Hydrogen... I look foward to your esponse.

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 04-27-2007 13:41
Henry,
Explain this inverted funnel test.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 04-27-2007 13:48
"How do you know it's hydrogen? Place an inverted funnel over the sample. Push it down to fill it with Baby Oil and cap the open end. Capture the bubbles and after several hours, pop the cap and expose the escaping gas to an ignition source. I'll be the one behind the overturned table." <----quoted from an earlier post from Al

Wonder if you could capture this gas in a sandwich bag taped over the small end of the funnel?
Parent - By hogan (****) Date 04-27-2007 15:15
then tape a fuse to it
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 04-28-2007 03:00
And then model a tiny gondola to attach under it and stage a miniature reenactment of the Hindenburg disaster.
Bill
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 04-28-2007 14:37
Please forgive me for going off topic... but I've been wondering....
Seeing as H2 is so small that it can pass through solid steel, how can it be contained, especially by something as thin and light weight as a blimp skin, or even a cylinder?
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 04-30-2007 06:04
Helium being monoatomic is smaller yet and does leak out of things that would hold most anything else.
Bill
Parent - - By Cgregory (**) Date 04-30-2007 12:54
I have to echo earlier comments: GREAT THREAD!

It's not a question of the size of the molecule as much as its molecular interaction with other molecules.  Hydrogen molecules, which have a distinct electrical charge, will interact differently with different substances: either through weak Van der Waals interactions, intermolecular bonds, or other bonds that are completely escaping my memory (it's been awhile since organic chemistry, sorry.)  The molecular interaction will change depending upon what the hydrogen molecule is interacting with, and since steel and rubber consist of extremely different substances, bonds and electrical charges, they would have different molecular interactions with hydrogen.  These molecular reactions are also why water beads up on some substances and soaks through others.
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 04-30-2007 20:56
I knew the Dutch were involved somehow!!! ;)

I believe Bill mentioned the differences in the amount of electrons & protons hydrogen and helium have and that monatomic helium is even smaller than H2,  hence the use of helium leak testing in some applications or something to that affect... Must be the hydrogen atoms or molecules or maybe it's oxygen diffusing from my body from the constant interaction of chemicals introduced to my body & brain on a daily basis??? Hmmm, I think I'm gonna have a chat with my Doctor about all of these chemicals upsetting the balance within me!!!
It could also be methane leaking from me which explains why I'm cracking up - get it??? ;) ;) ;)
I mean just think of the nano -electrical storms that are occurring on a molecular level when one introduces certain chemicals into bio-organic tissue!!! I hope I do'nt burn out!!! Is that why my teeth are decaying???
Hmmm, Weeemarkable!!! ;) ;) ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 04-30-2007 20:27
I love it when you chime in Bill!!!

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 04-28-2007 03:20
One proton one electron is hydrogen.  Add a neutron gets deuturium (the hydrogen in heavy water, used as reactor moderator).  Add another neutron gets tritium (radioactive, used in watch faces and gun sights for night visibility, also, I think, a component in nuclear bomb triggers).  Chemically all are hydrogen.

I wonder if this demonstration is skewed by the water quench, a possible source of additional hydrogen.  Has anyone tried, for example, cooling the sample by clamping it in a cold vise?
Bill
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-28-2007 17:10
Thanks Bill. Like I said, I have a chemistry book around here somewhere!

I don't believe the water (or baby oil) is a source of hydrogen. The source of the atomic hydrogen is derived from the flux and surface contamination (oils, grease, and other hydrocarbons) containing hydrogen bearing compositions that are broken down by the high energy (high temperature) electrical arc between the work piece and welding electrode.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 05-02-2007 01:56
Yep it is a function of nukes. Tritium that is.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / low hydrogen electrodes
1 2 Previous Next