Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Arc-on time
- - By Lapp Date 04-11-2007 18:02
How can I measure the arc-on time of a weld machine for a period of time?
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 04-11-2007 19:06
Hello Lapp, I believe Miller makes a monitor that can be installed in line with a welding power source and feeder to measure things such as arc-on time and other parameters. Is there a specific reason that you need this information? I ask because these monitors are likely a bit pricey unless you have a great need for one. Just my $.02 Regards, aevald
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 04-11-2007 19:39
Allen's right. There's a variety of ways. You can hook up a simple chart recorders to individual machines. Or, various manufacturers have terminal hook ups that can radio transmit signals to a central receiver that collates all info for each machine you have in the system. Some of these will not only give you arc on time but exactly the parameter used, and various ways to manipulate the info as needed.
I prefer the time honored method of just looking out the office window to see if the bay is blowing smoke. Ha!!!
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 04-11-2007 19:45
Actually, all kidding aside, this information can be quite useful if you have a need to fine tune the capacity of your buss bars, fuses, and electrical outlets, and relate them to the draw from your power source cycle times, etc. to maximize your power usage without adding capacity.
Parent - - By justarc Date 08-24-2007 13:39
Greetings Lapp. I make and sell weld arc timers and arc start counters on line at www.justarc.com. Check it out, my contact information is at the site. Take care,  Dea
Parent - - By darren (***) Date 08-24-2007 19:02
hey lapp could you elaborate as to why you need the info and maybe be able to suggest some easy solutions.
how many welders are you employing and how many shifts?
also how many linear feet a welder does in a week gives you a rough estimate of the actual usable arc time but it does not indicate total arc on time.
as a welder it is rather uncomfortable knowing that someone is monitoring your arc on time, the end output is what would seem to be most important.
darren
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-24-2007 19:23
darren,
I feel your concern, I guess this info, if used in a positive way may be helpful somehow. But I expect that most welders would feel like big brother is watching them. Material/Joint prep and setup, preheating(if required), monitoring min/max. interpass temps, chipping slag or scaping spatter is not figured into the on-arc time and would need to be considered as this is time spent by the welder doing their job.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 08-24-2007 19:43
Arc on time measurement, to me has always been over management IMO. I mean, if you are a supervisor and you don't know who your most productive welders are get another job. I can see a use for it in robotic applications, but semi automatic, or even machine is so indeterminative, I'm not sure the precision data means anything.
The one time I used such data was, as I said, to determine the overheating or overcpacity possibilties in my buss bars to make sure that I met OSHA standards, and got the maximum out of my plant without having to go to smaller machines or a bigger buss bar.
Arc on time averages can work very well in homogenizing your electrical draw.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 08-24-2007 20:03
Some of that also records the parameters, so you would know if a welder was jacking the machine up out of procedure when no one was looking. I had a few who thought they could make better time if they ran real hot and fast.
Parent - By darren (***) Date 08-24-2007 22:34
i cant imagine a welder ever doing such a thing ;)
Parent - By CHGuilford (****) Date 08-25-2007 01:32 Edited 08-25-2007 01:34
For those who are wondering..
Measuring arc-on time is a part of determining and managing the efficiency of a welding operation and it is not necessarily limited to robotic welding.  Many other parameters are also recorded but knowing how much time is spent actually pulling a trigger can help determine if that new wire promoted by a salesman will actually pay for itself.  Or if changing the ergonomics in particular operation will increase production while reducing risk of soft tissue injury.  Or if a machine is really used as much as you think it is or would an upgrade be better spent in another area.  And so on. 

Measuring arc-on time normally does NOT evaluate an individual's performance.  Well, it could - but as was said, counting how many acceptable welds have been made by the end of the day better tells that story.  Now a really good welder is the one who sells the most raffle tickets, tells the most jokes, makes the most trips to the bathroom, or the toolcrib, AND lays down the "mostest" and prettiest welds.

PS
I forgot to mention, Onset Computer Corp has affordable dataloggers for various types of measurements.  I have used some of those for measuring arc-on time.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Arc-on time