Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / testing an exiter
- - By downhandonly (***) Date 04-12-2007 00:05
hey i had my 300d into a local shop and they said my exiter/rotor was pushing 50-51 ohms, they said the normal value was 38-40 ohms. i asked if it should be replaced and was told it could last for awhile or maybe not! I called another place for a second opinion and they asked if it was tested when it was hot, i told them i didnt know cause i wasnt there.  they said to test it cold. does this really make that big of a difference? kinda like when your machine is hotter when you first start in the morning. also no one wants to tell me how to test this thing myself they would rather charge me 80 bucks an hour. HELP
Parent - - By pipeliner01 (**) Date 04-13-2007 06:08
I just had a thought, did you ever stone your commutator on that machine, and if so did you stone your exciter armature?  Long story short every time I stone my commutator I stone the exciter as well, maybe that's glazed up a little, would make sense about the higher resistance you're getting. Digital multimeters are cheap at partsource, try it yourself, welder repair guys love to charge big $$ to have a "look". Or maybe I'm not understanding what you're saying, anyways good luck, oh I just got a bunch of wiring diagrams for the old 200's if you're interested.
Parent - By downhandonly (***) Date 04-13-2007 06:29
I've got  a white stone for the comm and a red one "looks like an eraser" for the exiter. I got them from one of the techs at continental. but he wouldnt say how he tested the exiter. what settings on my meter? ohms im guessing, where do I put the red and the black probes? who's on first, what's on second nyuk nyuk
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / testing an exiter