Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / WPQR Form
- - By castle (*) Date 04-12-2007 16:40
Do any of you gentlemen know why Gas/Flux Type listed in Annex N's form examples for Welder, WO, & TW  performance Qual. (p.345) refer to Table 4.12. As far as I can tell, Table 4.12 does not state gas/flux as being a performance essential variable.  The form example in Annex N for Welder, WO, & TW lists all the essential variables that are stated in Table 4.12.

I believe there are other errors with this form in Annex N (Item 3 ?)  (Item 4 in wrong place).
Parent - - By QCCWI (***) Date 04-12-2007 19:16
MY guess would be that the form in Annex N is the same form from the 2002 edition of  D1.1 and was not updated when Table 4.12 was in 2004.
In the 2002 code note 3 for Table 4.12 finished with "and provided the welders receive training and demonstrate their ability to make satisfactory production welds.
Parent - By castle (*) Date 04-13-2007 10:59
That makes sense, I guess we might see the corrections in the 2008 or 2010 editions.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-13-2007 13:24
Hello castle;

I haven't taken the time to look myself, but did you check the AWS website to see if there has been a correction issued as part of an errata sheet for the D1.1 code? Sometimes the corrections listed on the errata sheets do not quite make it into the "latest" editions of the code. You may have to check the errata sheets for several code revisions.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By castle (*) Date 04-13-2007 17:13
How you doin' Al,

I checked the latest errata sheet (updated 3/20/07) per your advice, unforturnatly there were no
corrections for page 345 listed in the errata. I haven't looked, but does AWS D1.1 state how to go
about informing AWS of possible corrections.

-Rick
Parent - By pax23 (**) Date 04-13-2007 19:35
AWS Policy on errata can be found in D1.1 foreword, second page.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-13-2007 21:43
Hello Rick;

I suggest sending an e-mail message to John Gayler. John is on the AWS Staff and is the secretary for the D1.1 Code Committee. He has been very responsive to any issues I have raised.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By pax23 (**) Date 04-13-2007 19:43 Edited 04-13-2007 20:13
D1.1-96, Table 4.10, EV4 says, "To an electrode and shielding medium combination not approved by an AWS A5 document." Annex E (WPQR form in 96 code) referenced Table 4.10, EV4 for gas/flux type.

This EV was deleted in the 1998 edition; however, the reference in Annex E (now Annex N) was not removed. This oversight has remained in the document for each subsequent version. The appropriate fix would be to either eliminate the reference or eliminate the entire line (gas/flux type) in Annex N. Its no longer an essential variable (EV).
Parent - - By castle (*) Date 04-16-2007 10:46
Thanks guys.

Oh.......Al, were can I find contact info. for John Gayler.

-Rick
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-17-2007 04:16
Look at the new AWS Home page. Look for staff contact information. It used to be listed in a drop down menu on the old web page. I would not even try to tell someone how to locate it with the new web page. New and improved web page, but it is still a mystery to find the information you need when you need it. There's plenty of advertising, and that always come first.

Good luck and let me know if you can find it.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By ross (***) Date 04-17-2007 12:45
Click on "Contacts" on the very upper right of the AWS home page. You'll see that Gayler is gayler@aws.org.
Also, per a prior request from Al and others, we have added a drop-down menu called "AWS Easy Selector" (center right of page), with staff emails listed as "Contact AWS Staff."

Ross
AWS Marketing
Parent - - By Cgregory (**) Date 04-17-2007 12:49
Two things:

1) You can find a list of staff contacts on two places on the main webpage. First, on the upper right hand corner, at the top of the page, you will see "About AWS," "Log In Help," "Register," and "Contact."  Clicking on "Contact" will bring you to a list of all AWS staff, with telephone numbers and e-mail addresses.  Second, on the AWS EASY Selector you will find a list of the most popular pages on the site, which includes the Staff Contacts list.

2) I do have to quibble with your statement about advertising. If you'll recall, on the old webpage the ads were at the top of the page; on the second webpage the ads were prominently displayed on the side.

With the new webpage, the ads are at the bottom; in fact, when you initially open the webpage, you can't even see the ads unless you scroll down.  Then, of course, they are visible.  I can't, however, say that this always comes first.

Yes, the top of the page has flash animation showcasing upcoming AWS events and conferences, but that's genuinely been provided as a service to our members, who stated that they wanted more attention paid to these events on the website.

- Christine
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-17-2007 13:00
Just about the time I learn my way around a homepage, it gets changed and stupid me has to learn were everything is all over again. But I always seem to find the advertising. You'll never satisfy all of us, but that doesn't mean you should stop trying. We old dinosaurs die off and become extinct eventually.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Cgregory (**) Date 04-17-2007 13:05
:: grins :: I frequently feel the same way about the homepages for Yahoo! and Washington Mutual. So you're not alone!

-- christine
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-17-2007 14:01
Glad to hear I'm not alone.

"Everyone knows the boat is leaking.
Everyone knows the captain lied.
Everyone knows." Leonard Cohen

Best regards - Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / WPQR Form