Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Does anyone have the scoop on A-60 base matl?
- - By Kix (****) Date 04-13-2007 15:31
I was just wanting to get a rundown on this base matl.  I can't find it in the code book and need to write a procedure using it.
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 04-13-2007 15:53
i found this
A-60 Galvannealed Steel

All steel Reading products are constructed of two-sided zinc-coated A-60 galvannealed steel offering rust and corrosion protection.

A-60 galvannealed steel has the thickest zinc coating available, and thus provides the best corrosion protection in the industry.  An unprotected sheet of steel will corrode at a rate five times as high as one protected with a zinc coating.  Zinc's protection extends beyond the flat surface of the steel to its very edges.  In addition, any area that may get scratched will be protected as well.  When zinc is bonded to steel in a sustained high temperature process the steel is then "galvannealed".

A-60 is maximum coating weight for a galvannealed product.  The maximum coating thickness for a galvannealed coating has a direct influence on the corrosion performance of the product.  Basically, the thicker the coating, the longer the product will last.  A-60 steel has .6 oz. of zinc per square foot - the thickest protection available.  Corrosion is the enemy, and a thicker zinc coating helps prevent it.
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 04-16-2007 15:51
Thank you very much!!!
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Does anyone have the scoop on A-60 base matl?