Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welding by the rocky shores...
- - By rebekah (**) Date 04-16-2007 14:30
Hey Guys

My job has decided they need to send me to Seattle to do some welding work. 
I have done lots of residential type installation jobs before but that was when I could haul a trailer behind me with basically the whole shop with me and if I needed anything, I would be back the next day--never more than an hour or two away from the home shop. 
I need some input on those things that you wouldnt be caught dead with if you had a limited space to bring tools to a job site. 
To add to the fun--it is on a dock, everything needs to be hauled in (its a long dock), there is no easy access power supply, and the job is 15 feet above water--ocean views!  AND I am from Texas where we are a little weather sensitive--chances are I will have to deal with some wet weather and after reading about Sourdoughs shocking experience I am a little wary.  How do you northern folk weld with ocean spray and rain?
Definitely appreciate input.

Rebekah
Parent - - By webbcity (***) Date 04-16-2007 19:51
rebekah , some others are closer to seattle they may chime in . take your hood, gloves,lenses. most safety gear should be available out there (life vest , safety harness etc. and all consumeables ) be aware of whats in your work area . i always like to take my own rig with full drag up tank . good luck .willie
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 04-16-2007 20:24
I am originally from Seattle... take some rubber gloves and rubber boots!
Parent - - By ZCat (***) Date 04-16-2007 23:19
and an umbrella haha
Parent - - By rebekah (**) Date 04-17-2007 14:52
I was thinking of taking my wet riding gear--like the yellow rain suit that people wear some times except black with reflectors.  I dont know if it would be overkill but I guess if it was pouring rain and I was the only dry one on the dock...
I think I remember something about rubber gloves under the leather for welding. 
I just found out that there will be a local welder there that will be providing all the gear which is great because something is always forgotten. 
Thanks
Parent - - By downhandonly (***) Date 04-17-2007 15:09
try latex gloves under your leather ones
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-17-2007 16:28
If the glove don't fit,  you must aquit!
Parent - By Sourdough (****) Date 04-17-2007 23:52
Square, torpedo level,  torch, leads, 2 grinders, hammer,  wraparound, plumb-bob, stringline, a pocket full of soapstone, a bucket, handfull of rods, harness, and a damn good sense of judgement is all you need most times.

I almost named my company "Precision Guesswork", but the bodyshop down the street already had that one.......JERKS!
Parent - - By Benesesso (*) Date 04-18-2007 21:06
Whatever you do, do NOT weld with AC when it's wet.  AC will kill you a lot easier than DC at welding voltages (heart-stopping voltages).
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 04-19-2007 09:17
Do not weld a/c when its wet"????........

Well sorry i guess the world stops if its raining   no aluminum for you today........Sorry for the sarcastic response but ....

ITs not really a/c being dangerous   as the high frequency used so often with it for arc stabilazation......The higher the frequency of the cycles the more likely it is to find a a conductive path.   You are right that the shock hazards tend to be higher with a/c but they are not unmanigable.   Biggest thing you can do is stay DRY!!!!!!   Water is a great conductor and it basically destroys the insulation factor of all welding gear.   Underwater welders even wearing a dry suit made of rubber face intense shock hazards because of the water....

Basically if you keep your stinger/torch/gun hand...dry and the rest of your body insulated...good water proof boots....you will make thru..

you might get a bite hear and there but you can get the work done and live to tell about it.... JUST use your head and refuse to strike an arc in condiditions you know are unsafe.
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 04-18-2007 16:02
Just make sure you are done and rolled up befor 4:PM. Thats when the rain starts and you pretty much set your watch by it.
Parent - - By Bob Garner (***) Date 04-18-2007 19:44
If you'll be on the waterfront in Seattle, you're likely near Pike Place Market.  Lots of good restaurants there (see if the Pink Door Restaurant is still there).  But you will be on Puget Sound, some four hours from the ocean.  Although you might be working over Lake Union?  I know one of our offices is designing some waterfront parks there.  Or Lake Washington?  Where the new floating bridge sank?

Bon Voyage!

Bob
Parent - - By rebekah (**) Date 04-19-2007 15:02
I really dont know where I will be--my job likes to keep things a bit secretive.  Departure dates for example! 

Thanks for the input--I will be doing steel but have been bit while welding with AC before.  Better than a hot cup of joe!

Rebekah
Parent - By Benesesso (*) Date 04-19-2007 19:43
Read up on how easily AC welding currents can freeze your heart, whereas DC probably won't.  At least you'll know---.
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 04-21-2007 13:45
mmmmmmmmmm........dungeoness crab, my favorite!
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 04-21-2007 15:52
The best oysters  you will ever find are in that region too....

A side trip on a visit to Boieng in Everett took us to the Bay/Coast where the water was so clear you could see those crabs doing their thing from the pier in about 25 foot depth. There are different varieties of oysters in each of the channels, some big, some small, many bars will serve a sample platter with a few of each... A little horseradish and lemon...... they slide right down!

Be brave and try them...
Parent - By ross (***) Date 04-20-2007 19:44
Maybe check out the Puget Sound Section forum and post a hello there.

http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/board_show.pl?bid=33
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Welding by the rocky shores...