Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Tack welding welded wire
- - By scott harrison Date 04-16-2007 18:19
I am using the GMAW-S process to tack weld A185 wire mesh to A108 studs (round stock).  The mesh is being used for concrete reinforcement.  What path should I take to qualify welders for this?  The tack is the final weld.
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 04-16-2007 18:38
are you working to a certain code?
Parent - By scott harrison Date 04-16-2007 18:42
In this case I am working to D1.4.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 04-16-2007 18:45
The code of construction to be used for performance qualification (or any qualification for that matter) should be stated in contract documents. In lieu of that, that code which you believe best represents the standards necessary to ensure the viability of the welds you produce, should be the one you choose. Since it is a concrete reinforcing application AWS D1.4 would be a good place to start.
However, I would start with a Request for Information (RFI) to your client to see if they haven't just overlooked stating the code of construction in the contract documents explicitly, since to my knowledge D1.4 doesn't exactly suit your application. If the client is leaving it up to you, you need to be sure you can defend your decision litigously.
Municipal and county or state jurisdictions will often dictate the code to be used for qualification. Make sure you don't have a requirement in jurisdictional codes you must comply with.
Parent - By scott harrison Date 04-16-2007 18:48
Thanks for the input.  Very helpful
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Tack welding welded wire