Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Does Anyone Still Do Root/Face Bends?
- - By ZCat (***) Date 04-16-2007 22:32
I haven't had to do one of those in a long while, everything has been side bends for a few years now. Sure can't say I miss 'em. When and why was the switch made?
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 04-17-2007 03:36
The majority of the welder qualification tests I evaluate are done using guided bend tests. Face and root for materials 3/8 inch or less in thickness and side bends for materials over 3/8 inch. I like bend tests because I can usually do them at the site with the welder supplying the the donkey power. I can then show them the results and any defects should there be any. I like to use the welder qualification test as a learning tool if the welder fails the test. The results are immediate.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 04-18-2007 15:19
Yeah, you wouldn't do a side bend on a 2" sch 80 welder qual.
Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 04-19-2007 04:40
Thats all we do at school is the face and root bend test. We don't have any kinda x-ray machine
Parent - By Odie (*) Date 05-13-2007 03:20
Yea some RT and some do 2 face 2 root bends around Houston Depends on the Plant there so many around here ive become a professional Tester. LOL
Parent - - By bellaru (*) Date 05-23-2007 02:43
Al , if you dont mind me asking , how are you bending these test coupons on site , what are you showing up with in order to do this......?   does the welder slice the test coupon out of the test plate with the torch.....?
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 05-23-2007 03:23
I have a portable plunger and die machine I designed and built years ago. It has gain considerable weight over the years (or I'm getting older and weaker). I also have a wrap around machine that I designed and built that is very  portable. The wrap around machine has several different diameter mandrels for different thickness of materials and it is the machine I am trying to patent. It's light (about 40 pounds total) and capable of bending as thin as 1/16 thick ferrous metals, 1/8 inch thick aluminum, and up to 3/8 thick HY80.

I cut and bend the samples if there is a suitable means of cutting the bend straps on site (by that, I mean shop). I have torch cut straps out of schedule 40, 6 inch pipe and 3/8 inch plate in the field, i.e., construction site, and then ground the straps to remove the HAZ. I don't recommend torch cutting the straps because its a time consuming operation and in general its a pain in the butt. I usually let the welder do the cutting and grinding after giving them the necessary directions. If they screw it up, their problem, start again!

Best regards - Al
Parent - By JTMcC (***) Date 05-23-2007 05:01
I think just about every pipeline related test (in the U.S.A.) will involve root and face bends.
The straps are most often cut with a "strap cutting" machine, kind of like a beveling machine only it cuts straps to the correct size. If a strap cutter isn't available they are cut by hand, it's pretty simple really.
Straps are bent in an iron horse, another simple tool that can be used anywhere like on the tailgate of a pickup on on the ground.
They will also do several nicks in addition to the bends.
Of course on a branch test the straps have to be cut by hand.

JTMcC.
Parent - By tab_1999 (**) Date 06-18-2007 20:26
http://www.fischerengr.com/

They sell a nice bender for Face, Root and side bends
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Does Anyone Still Do Root/Face Bends?