Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D1.6:1999 Prequalified WPS
- - By rickc (**) Date 04-18-2007 16:34
We're trying to knock out some prequalified WPS and not write 100's of them that are all the same except for changes in position, joint design or possibly filler material diameter if we don't have to so,...

1. Can we list multiple positions on a WPS if no other variables would change? I assume yes, because my WPS is prequalified in all positions as well as my filler material but, my welders are not e.g. my welder's did their FCAW coupon in 3G so, should I limit my Prequalified WPS to the positions on the WPS to those on Table 4.4 on Page 90 of D1.6:1999?

2. I think I can list multiple joint configurations on my weld procedure and still meet the code but, what's the best way to do that? I was thinking something along the lines of, "See production drawing for joint details and AWS D1.6:1999 Figure 3.2-3.6 for prequalified joint configurations."

3. Can I list multiple filler material diameters on my prequalified WPS? Or do I need to make a bunch of identical WPS's with the only change being the filler material diameter? Or can I just list each size and the Manufacturer's recomended Amps, Volts, Travel Speed for each diameter and let the welder choose which size to use?

-Rick
Parent - By petty4345 (**) Date 04-19-2007 17:12
I'd like to know that too.
I recently inquired about this type of things using base metal groupings as an example.
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 04-19-2007 17:50
#1  it looks like 3.1 lists your variables, #5 being position. also listed as note 1 on table 3.1.

#2  i've listed mine, for example as wps-1-1 The #1 would be wps designation and the second the position (1g), wps-1-2 would be the same but listed as a 2g

#3 3.1 variables #7 lists filler metal class and size (dia)
Parent - - By rickc (**) Date 04-19-2007 19:11
Thank you,
I'm been hoping that the sentence in 3.1 that reads, "changes in [1-7], **beyond those specified on the written WPS**, shall be considered essential changes, and shall require a new or revised WPS" could be interpreted to allow me to list, for example, multiple prequalified positions on one WPS . The theory being that if not a single other variable, essential or not, does not change when using a different welding position then why write, reference and maintain another WPS? It's more work for everyone and has no benefit.

Examples:
WPS 1 - Position of Groove: F, H
  versus
WPS 1 - Position of Groove: F
WPS 2 - Position of Groove: H

..I'm a big fan of the KISS principle for written procedures. Particularly when you need alot of people to follow them closely.
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 04-19-2007 20:03
ya i see your point, but that's just part of doing code work. i guess i see the benefit as not being in the position of having an owners rep tell me my wps i used on a job don't comply to the code and he can't accept our product
Parent - By rickc (**) Date 04-19-2007 20:42
Touche!
Generally speaking, our WPS' are approved by the customer/rep before we begin work but, not always. And, they've certainly changed their mind after the fact on occasion. Thanks for your help!
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D1.6:1999 Prequalified WPS