Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / auto lenses
- - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 04-19-2007 11:41
hello all,

I was wondering if anyone has tried/used a jackson boss eqc http://store.cyberweld.com/jaboeqcaudal.html

I was always loathe to use auto lenses because of reaction time...weight,exposuse etc.  After reasearch i have realized that the UV filter is in place always and its just a matter of comfort level per shade.   To make my life easier i have purchased a jackon halo hood because it is so light weight the addition of an autolens will make it almost normal.

I intend to purchase the "boss" eqc mainly because it has a clear state at shade 3 (actually a settable mode for torch welding).....this would make this hood a great grinding shield as i must clean a lot of penetration from welds with rotary files and die grinders.

i just wondered if anyone had any experience with this particular lens sense its new on the market.  THX in advance
Parent - - By Sourdough (****) Date 04-21-2007 13:47
nexgen
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 04-22-2007 05:31
LOL

Been using the shops nexgen....I wanted somthing with a lighter clear state, for grinding the inside joints of 2-3 inch aluminum tubes on plenum chambers..Its easy to slip and tear the hell out of one of these things.  

Shop decided to spring for the Boss lens for me to try it out.  Clear state is great but its a damm greeny.....it was advertised as amber.
I like the fact i can go to a 9.25 or 9.7 or whatever shade  thats handy.   But In the end I like the color and operation of the nexgen....Its a better lens inmo.
Parent - - By pipes (**) Date 04-26-2007 23:13
I purchased a Miller Elite series auto shield about 6 months ago. It is my first auto shield ever. It has the Miller Roadster Truck flame graphics on it. It is beatiful, it is light and it is, well, it's un-used! I am so scared to wreck the graphics that I just can't bring myself to use it! 99% of the welding I do is overhead stick and I know it will just chew it up! I know, I am such a dork!!! My wife thinks there are better ways to spend $350! I think I would like to try just a regular auto lense in my Jackson shield. Any suggestions?
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 04-27-2007 02:40
Put that auto lens in a plain 'ol hood & mount the fancy one on the wall.
Parent - By pipes (**) Date 04-27-2007 03:20
Good call! LOL! I work with a guy that has two sets of tools, as he says, there are his "usin' " tools and his "lookin' at tools! That's great! LOL!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / auto lenses